Game Reviews

BassMan449

I thought this forum would be a good place for us to post some game reviews. So what are some good games you have played that most people wouldn't have. Or maybe a game that got terrible reviews, but you enjoy it. Post reviews and lets reveal some hidden gems (I know some of you out there play some really obscure games, so give us a review and share).

Mario And Sonic Olympics

Overall I thought this was a pretty good game. Lacks in presentation in several places but it does a good job of sticking to the Minigame approach that it tries to take.

Pros: Good party game. It's fairly easy for anyone to pick up. The controls for almost all of the games are extremely simple so just about anyone can enjoy it. It also has a very diverse range of minigames.

Cons: Can get a little repetitive. Doesn't make a very good single player game and gets boring if you are by yourself. No online.

Overall this is a game that you won't play incredible often, but when you have a group of friends over it is something that everyone will enjoy.

I will post reviews of (most) of the games i own(ed) at lunchtime when i have a 30 minute spam slot...

Super mario Galaxy:
Absolutely a must have for the Wii, crisp graphics, fantastic gameplay and the same amount of replay value as the original N64 Mario. The difficulty ranges from easy to evil (getting the last purple comets) but is extremely satisfying throughout. 9/10

Super Paper Mario:
A good game, very funny and slick. Not as much fun as SMG but still very entertaining. Providing the high production values that you expect from the big N. 8/10

Mario Kart Wii:
Another big hit from Nintendo. Great fun, very few flaws. Looks and plays like a dream with solid online gameplay. The track selection is a bit dubious but is acceptable enough... The only downside is those blue shells !!! 9/10

Pro Evolution Soccer:
Konami decided to reinvent the wheel with this title, and it worked. The new control system is fantastic (if not a headache until you get used to it). Being a fan of the PES games i was skeptical, but it works so well. The game looks great and plays well. There are heaps of modes and options but the game does get a bit repetative after a while. Multiplayer is fun but is restricted to 2 people. Still, kudos for creating something different. 7.5/10

Last edited:
Eledees(Elebits):
One of the first games out on the Wii. Makes rgeat use of the new control system. Its great fun and ranges from easy to impossibly hard. The shiny factor wears off after a long play and you find yourself just going through the motions to complete the game. Multiplayer is like taking LSD with 4 people but can be good fun. Definitely try it or get it from the bargain bin 6/10.

Wii Fit:
Not really a game but still requires a review. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Having played it for 40 days now i have lost no weight..lol. but i do feel fitter and my belly has gone down a little to be replaced with some small muscles. The games are fun if not limited. As an entertainment game it fares poorly, it can be a laugh with all your friends round getting them to try the different exercises and games. But essentially it is a tool for keeping fit and should be purchased as such. The bonus is, the board is definitely going to be used in cool ways in the future (note: new Rabbids game) 6/10

TV Show King:
A cheap wiiware title but a must buy if you have your friends round frequently. Its very simple trivia but has a great twist with the spin wheel to totally change everyones scores. Great fun for all, but not much of a single player game. 8/10

Resident Evil 4:
There is little to distinguish this from the previous formats it was released on, but on that is was near perfect. The graphics are a little crisper and the game flows a bit better. Still, if you havent played it before, its a must buy... 8/10

Mercury Meltdown revolution:
Once again, a great concept for a game that slows down after a while. The graphics and controls are perfect, putting monkey ball and others to shame. The levels are well designed and provide a challenge. But i found myself wanting to throw the wiimote more times than not, and the multiplayer is weak.. Still worth a bargain purchase on a lazy saturday.. 6/10

Big Brain Academy:
A great budget purchase, a little improvement over the DS versions but dont expect miracles. Its the same format and execution. Still its good fun for a while and can be good with a few people challenging each other. 6/10

Bomberman Land:
I bought this game with so much hope. Yet i was disappointed. The graphics are OK and it plays OK, but the single player is like pulling teeth and the multiplayer is limited. I would suggest buy bomberman 93 if you need a fix, avoid this. 3/10

Excite Truck:
A good solid game with fast furious gameplay. Good to snap up as a budget purchase and the ability to load in your own soundtrack is cool. I spent a while trying to unlock all the cars on this but spent little time on multiplayer. The lack of antialias means it will look awful on a big tv through component. Buy if its cheap, if not wait for the sequel boasting online play and more features 5/10

Warioware:
I am sure if you bought a wii on release then you have or have owned this. The first great multiplayer game. The single player is also great fun and challenging. My only disappointment is i played this after playing the twisted game on GC, which had many more multiplayer features.. But if you can grab it cheap, i would definitely get it.. 7/10

Malvegil sent me LostWinds as a birthday present while I was visiting Tulsa this week. I just downloaded it and am about to head out to a Father's Day dinner with my wife and her family, but once I get a chance to play the game for 30 minutes or so, I'll write a 30 Minute Review for LostWinds.

Back