Friday December 9, 2022 - Philippians 4:6-7

BlockHeadLewie

Finding God’s Peace in Life’s Stress

Philippians 4:6-7: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Folks, let me tell you a really short story. I was basically alone my whole life. I was married for 40 years, which removed a TON of loneliness. Then in the last 10-12 years of our marriage Joanne (My Wife) started showing signs of Stage 1 Alzheimer's. Suddenly just this past April she went into a diabetic coma and was admitted into the hospital. A long time later (okies, only about a week and a half, but it seemed like ages to me) she passed away due to complications involving COPD and her excessive smoking.

Really fun stuff, huh? Yeah, I hear you loud and clear: Nothing fun about ANY of that! But here's how I got through it: I prayed for peace, understanding of the situation, support from friends and even a bit of prayer with a shaking fist at God for allowing ME to be the one who accidently gave her too much insulin. I even demanded He explain WHY it would be allowed for me to even support her smoking! NOT MY FAULT, IT WAS HIS!

Then it dawned on me what Job went through. (See Job 2:1-13) Okies, my situation wasn't THAT bad, but it had VERY similar parts: God had allowed Satan to test me. Even Job lost family, so how was I any different? JOB DIDN'T BLAME GOD!

So I began again to pray for peace and understanding and support from friends, but THIS time I decided since it's NOT HIS FAULT then I would give Thanks that my wife was no longer suffering with the dementia, no longer having pains in her leg or shoulder, never again had to worry if there was any milk in her food and needed to take Lactaid. I thanked God for allowing her to move from this corrupted world and into His Glory, His Comfort and His Ultimate and Never-Ending Embrace.

I kid you not, the MOMENT these changes in my prayer began, I got peace! I had (some) understanding! I began to relax a bit! Oh sure, the loss was (and still is) painful, no doubt! But the fact I was now leaning more on Jesus and God's Word AND Plans for me, I had clarity.

Jeramiah 29:11-12 tells us: "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you."

So no matter the situation, from a test at school to a job interview, an item looked for in a store that's not there, a cut in pay, an overdue bill or even the loss of a loved one, always remember we are NOT at fault! NEITHER IS GOD! Our advesary, the devil, still roams the earth hither and yon seeking whom he may devour.

Keep Praising God no matter what the situation and leave a bad taste in Satan's mouth when he comes at you!

Back