Finished my first Expert campaign in Left 4 Dead

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Elihu, BassMan, PsychoVii, and I teamed up to play Dead Air on Expert difficulty earlier tonight. Though an unfortunate incident claimed BassMan shortly before we boarded the plane and took off, the rest of us survived and I finally earned the Zombicidal Maniac achievement.

I know before I said I had no interest in Expert difficulty, but it ended up being a lot of fun. Many thanks to Elihu, BassMan, and PsychoVii for a great game.

Rev Rog has nicely bought me the game so I hope you are up for doing it all again ^^ . Way back on only the second time I played the demo I was on advanced and it was fairly easy so I'm bound to be trying expert too :)

...Though an unfortunate incident claimed BassMan shortly before we boarded the plane and took off...

Never, ever go back for the cat! :p

Last edited:
Wow, that was very generous of him! ^___^ I'll play Expert with ya Gerbil whenever you fully download it. :p

Oh, and congrats Tek. :p I could never pass No Mercy on expert, just Death Toll I think.

Gerbil I'll gladly play expert with you. And the unfortunate incident Tek speaks of was the barrel of Psycho's AutoShottie followed quickly by a swift beating from a tank. (Friendly Fire FTW). Just messing with you Psycho ;)

Thanks but I am still not really ready for expert yet until I play through the campaigns and learn the maps first. It's not that I'd be against playing through it but your really don't want a newbie running around going, which way do I go, which way do I go, on the hardest difficulty level :p.

I tried the single player campaign a little yesterday on advanced and it is a little harder than I imagined. That was mainly because the friendly AI is a little stupider than I thought though. At one point I'm being hit from behind and I turn around to kill a zombie and Francis is just looking at him, I'm like sooooo are you going to use that gun or just stand there and giggle as my life bar goes down :p. I also haven't learned where the AI commands are yet so that should help. I'm looking for the one that says get in the corner and fight them off don't stand out in the open and get us all killed 0.o. Several times in the area with the lift I made it to the window only to have a smoker pull one of the guys off the roof as they stood there pointlessly fighting zombies, get in the building sheesh. Anyway that's not unexpected though, the demo was good because of the co-op.

Several times in the area with the lift I made it to the window only to have a smoker pull one of the guys off the roof as they stood there pointlessly fighting zombies, get in the building sheesh. Anyway that's not unexpected though, the demo was good because of the co-op.
ROFL me and my wife played though all four campaigns on the weekend and no mercy again last night. We got into the safe house and AI Francis was out there for two minutes jumping up and down from one side of the window to the other.

Also I teamed up my wife and my best friend last night thinking it would be fairly amusing. It was, she likes tactics and clearing rooms room by room advancing slowly. He just runs and guns and doesn't really care what anybody else was doing. There was almost blood shed as I stood in the corner with my evil laugh.

Nice Job, Tek7, Elihu, BassMan and PsychoVii.

Me, my friend and 2 others also played Dead Air on Expert but when we made it to the final level, the server crashed. :mad:

Getting to the safe room on the 4th level, we all died but my friend.
Annoyingly, a Tank spawned right beside the safe room!

With 3 of us at 1HP, we distracted the Tank while my friend limped his way to the safe room.

If that Tank hadn't of spawned there, all of us would of made, alive...

I really hope, the next time I play expert, the server does not crash on the final level!

OMGosh

I played on the TOJ server Sunday/Monday where it is set to expert... I used three AI survivors... I almost threw my mouse into the LCD a couple of times.

It never failed that I would make it to the end get in the safe house and one of my brilliant AI survivors would play around outside until the horde killed them!

I didn't even know there were AI commands! LOL. I guess thats what you get when you just jump into a game and not bother to read any of the control instructions! :)

If anyone would like to play through the campaigns PM me and I would be willing to play them. On most nights after 9PM EST. (when kids are asleep)

Blessings.

Yeah we had a pretty interesting time on the 4th level of dead air. In the mini finale we tried to follow the van through the fence into that side room. About 3 steps past the fence a tank rounded the corner. Let me tell you there is no worse timing than a tank in the middle of a mini finale. Tek and I limped on for about a quarter of the level, past a witch, the whole time with both of us one hit from death. It was a great round.

I ran through a campaign last night with Parabellum (Darkbot subbed later when he had to go), Sacrifice and the ever lovable bot Louis... who provoked the witch 3 times and who was becoming more likely to be killed by us than the zombies. We had it on normal but raised it to advanced half way through. Everyone but the bot survived and I can't say we shed tears :p. The game is as I predicted it though I did note there is a speed de-buff like I suggested (maybe I just didn't notice it in the demo).

BTW I don't use the default control scheme on any of the valve games (TF2, HL2 and L4D).

1. I swap the reload and the use (medic call in TF2) key. You use reload much more than the other so I don't see the point of having to reach over the other key to hit it. In fact before I swapped them I was always inadvertently calling the medic because I'd have to pass over the one key to hit the other.

2. I use C instead of crtl for ducking. Since you can't jump and duck at the same time I am using my thumb which is much easier than using my small finger. If I remember correctly unreal uses this key too so it's easier to have one setup than 2.

3. I'm now comfortable using V for voice in TF2 now so I use that instead of the C key in L4D.

4. If I am using teamspeak I use crtl.

Of course if you are already comfortable with the default set up changing it will be probably be awkward.

Last edited:
Yeah we had a pretty interesting time on the 4th level of dead air. In the mini finale we tried to follow the van through the fence into that side room. About 3 steps past the fence a tank rounded the corner. Let me tell you there is no worse timing than a tank in the middle of a mini finale. Tek and I limped on for about a quarter of the level, past a witch, the whole time with both of us one hit from death. It was a great round.
What's crazy is that we both survived because we holed up in the Currency Exchange shop while the tank chased PsychoVii across the level.

After the tank killed PsychoVii and eventually burned to death, we still had leftovers from the panic event attacking us. I got knocked down, BassMan helped me up, and we limped along until we could pull Elihu and PsychoVii out of the respawn closet.

Definitely one of the more memorable levels I've played.

What's crazy is that we both survived because we holed up in the Currency Exchange shop while the tank chased PsychoVii across the level.

Psycho definitely saved us. I remember looking over and seeing his outline and how tiny it was and wondering how in the world he managed to get so far away so fast.

Second Expert campaign (No Mercy) cleared tonight.

Thanks go out to BassMan449, Exo-Slayer, and Jager.

To celebrate clearing No Mercy on Expert, here's the lyrics to a song by Jonathan Coulton called RE: Your Brains:
Heya Tom, it's Bob from the office down the hall
Good to see you buddy, how've you been?
Thing have been OK for me except that I'm a zombie now
I really wish you'd let us in
I think I speak for all of us when I say I understand
Why you folks might hesitate to submit to our demand
But here's an FYI: you're all gonna die screaming

All we want to do is eat your brains
We're not unreasonable, I mean, no one's gonna eat your eyes
We're at an impasse here, maybe we should compromise:
If you open up the doors
We'll all come inside and eat your brains

I don't want to nitpick, Tom, but is this really your plan?
To spend your whole life locked inside a mall?
Maybe that's OK for now but someday you'll be out of food and guns
And then you'll have to make the call
I'm not surprised to see you haven't thought it through enough
You never had the head for all that bigger picture stuff
But Tom, that's what I do, and I plan on eating you slowly

If you open up the doors

I'd like to help you Tom, in any way I can
I sure appreciate the way you're working with me
I'm not a monster Tom, well, technically I am
I guess I am

I've got another meeting Tom, maybe we could wrap it up
I know we'll get to common ground somehow
Meanwhile I'll report back to my colleagues who were chewing on the doors
I guess we'll table this for now
I'm glad to see you take constructive criticism well
Thank you for your time I know we're all busy as hell
And we'll put this thing to bed
When I bash your head open

If you open up the doors
Source: 15) RE: Your Brains- Jonathan Coulton 9-12-07

sorry I missed it, sad thing is that I don't game late on weekdays, cuz I have to get up too early for work... Maybe next time.

Oh.

My.

Word.

I finished the Blood Harvest campaign on Expert tonight after 2 hours and 39 minutes of play and 19 restarts. I can not believe how many Smokers spawned that game.

My wrists are sore and I have to be up in about 6 and a half hours for church. Oy.

Many thanks to Zanthox, Darkbot, Coercion, Keerosene, Kiljoy, and Parabellum for their help. Zanthox stuck in there for the full campaign, minus a few minutes after his Steam client crashed and he reloaded L4D.

/me takes a deep breath

Okay, all that stands between me and the "What Are You Trying To Prove?" achievement is Death Toll on Expert difficulty.

Who else wants to clear Death Toll on Expert? Post a reply and we can try to schedule a game night soon.

I would love to help but starting an expert game at 9-10 puts the finish past a time when i should be getting to sleep for work. So, I usually have to choose work over play.

w00t!

I have earned the "What Are You Trying To Prove?" achievement for clearing all 4 campaigns on Expert!

I cleared Death Toll on Expert in 1 hour and 26 minutes with the help of BassMan449, Exo-Slayer, and ALF. (It helped that the AI Director was much nicer tonight than during last night's epic Blood Harvest campaign.) Many thanks, guys!

Now that I've cleared all 4 campaigns on Expert, all that's left to do until the content update is help BassMan449 clear the last 2 campaigns he needs to earn the same achievement.

I'd also like to run through a campaign or two on Easy to clear a few of the achievements that I haven't earned yet, like Cr0wnd, Man vs. Tank, and Akimbo Assassin. Maybe we should set up an Achievement Night for Left 4 Dead?

And I'll probably still play a co-op game here and there when people need a fourth.

Hey, will anyone be playing Wednesday night? That's about the only opportunity I have to stay up and play an entire campaign save for the weekends, and I'd love to clear an expert campaign sometime.

Back