Finally, a timetable for me

I will be ordering my brand new PC today (finally). We close on my new house today, and we had to wait to make sure we had plenty left over after closing and after bills to take on that expense. Anyhow, specs are:

ATI Radeon 9800 256mb graphics card
AMD 2.6gHz processor
1 gig PC3300 RAM
top of the line SoundBlaster card
Windows 64-bit, plus Office, Norton, and a ton of free stuff (I'm getting it built by a guy I know)
17" Samsung LCD monitor

That's a huge upgrade from having to run the GW beta on my old, now deceased PC, which I had to run on minimum settings and kept freezing up if I got into the second stage of Tombs where you fought more than one group. I am very blessed to have a wife willing to let me get this (which I plan on keeping as is for about 3 to 3 1/2 years) and a God that provides exceedingly and abundantly above all that I had envisioned.

The point is, it'll be less than a week now and I'll finally be able to join you all in-game.

Windows 64 can run in 32-bit... but some games still don't run.

Can't wait till you can play!

Last edited:
Then I can just go with XP. I'm all about pragmatism, and it's not like all of a sudden developers are going to stop supporting 32-bit. And thanks for the heads up!

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff said:
AMD 2.6gHz processor
Windows 64-bit ...
Is the AMD processor you've selected 64-bit? If not, I don't believe it will run Windows XP 64.

Even so, I've read reviews that state that there's no strong advantage to XP 64-bit over XP 32-bit.

Yeah, the AMD processor supports 64-bit. However, more and more I'm thinking I'll just get XP for now and upgrade later if I have to (which I probably won't on this PC, since software now is still compatible with Win98).

Update: Compy 286 is now ordered. The guy building it for me said that the reason nothing works on Win64 right now is because they conveniently forgot to write drivers so that it can run 32-bit programs. He's installing XP but giving me the disks for 64 to install in a couple of months, when things actually run on it.

Last edited:
Back