Everquest for free

C

Criostoir

Someone gave me a link to a website that tells how to play Everquest on a free server. I don't know if this would be considered legal or not and I haven't tried it, but it seems that there's nothing illegal about it since you wouldn't be playing it on the official Everquest server. Anyway, here's the link.

Everquest for free

They've let people download the first EQ cd for free in the past for trial purposes, but the part of not paying looks like something bad.

Technically it violates the Everquest EULA, but they have no way to detect it, and probably dont care much. All that does is emulate the server, but so much of the game is stored on their servers, you wouldnt be able to do much on your own server like that. You could walk around and see textures and NPCs, but they wouldnt be able to move or attack. And you wouldnt be able to do any actions besides move I dont think, since again that takes data that is stored on Sony's servers.

Well, in browsing the website, it seems like they've figured out a way to make it work pretty well. I don't know for sure how many people there play it, but it seems like quite a few. It must be pretty decent if they are playing it.

I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how well it works. I've always wanted to try EQ, but I'm kind of annoyed with the whole idea of, 'buy a game for $whatever price, and then pay us $more per month'.

I wouldn't mind paying a monthly fee for an online game if I didn't have to pay a fortune to buy the game in the first place.

Someone was telling me yesterday about a game called Ragnorak Online which he said will be free to download from their website, but then it will have a monthly charge. Honestly, I think that's the fair way to do it. Let me have the option to download the game for free, and just charge if I want to buy an actual copy of the CD.

Would it matter? There are many servers that provide for free games. There's probably a legal server with all actions available to your characters on it, and for free.

I have a very bitter taste in my mouth from EQ. My sister gave me the game as a gift. I wasnt sure if I'd like it, so I bought a month month subscription. I didnt like it, so I never played again, didnt think much of it. About 7 months later my husband asks me (yah, hes not too sharp) if I still played that game and why we were being charged still. So I call to cancel and ask if I can get a refund. But oh, the guy on the phone cant do that. So I ask for someone else, oh, he cant do that. He gives me an email address to email my concerns. Amazingly enough, I never got a response, from several of my emails (that never bounced back). I shouldnt be too upset, the ignorance did fall on both sides.

Gees Mary, that really sucks
sad.gif

Basically, my take. Free or not, it's still Everquest, and I'd rather be playing something else heh.

EQ has a reputation as a foul devourer of College Students. I think I'll stay away... either I'd
A.) Get obsessed with it and spend 25hrs/day playing it, flunking out of college etc, or
B.) Be really really bored and waste my money.

Not seeing any positives for me here.

Yeah. I think those subscription games are geared towards people with lots of time. I just can't see spening $10 a month if I'd only be on for MAYBE 10 hours.

I am REALLY sad I won't be playing Star Wars Galaxies. $50 AND a monthly subscription.
sad.gif

Heh. Pay extra to play a game after buying it? No.

I actually don't see any reason that people with enough money/CPU power/bandwidth could put together a different EQ server. Granted, you couldn't use your same characters and items and stuff as on the Sony servers, it would be like starting off clean in a different world. Not sure about how the game works because I haven't played it, but that souds like it would be relatively simple.

Well, the fact that you're playing on the "ForeverHacking Server" should tell you something. I wouldn't trust it.

I also don't play EQ because I don't want to pay that montly fee even though I am interested in it. I play CS for free anyways, and I have about 25 games I still need to beat.

Go hackers....

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Mar. 02 2003,7:07)]I have a very bitter taste in my mouth from EQ. My sister gave me the game as a gift. I wasnt sure if I'd like it, so I bought a month month subscription. I didnt like it, so I never played again, didnt think much of it. About 7 months later my husband asks me (yah, hes not too sharp) if I still played that game and why we were being charged still. So I call to cancel and ask if I can get a refund. But oh, the guy on the phone cant do that. So I ask for someone else, oh, he cant do that. He gives me an email address to email my concerns. Amazingly enough, I never got a response, from several of my emails (that never bounced back). I shouldnt be too upset, the ignorance did fall on both sides.
Sony is toooooo greedy.

Well, I would never pay to play EQ either. I played the beta of it a long time ago, then I played the beta of Asheron's Call back when it was first coming out. I never did buy either one of them and never payed a single monthly fee to play either one.

Right now I'm playing the beta of Star Wars Galaxies, and I may actually break tradition and buy and pay-to-play this one (on xbox), but I'm not making any firm decisions regarding this right now.

My whole point about this though, is that you can play EQ on a free server. ;)

I was talking with someone a couple days ago who got it to work. He said that there's only about 75 people online, but it all works great! I think it would be fun if you had a few friends to play it with, but I don't see myself playing it on a regular basis. When I get some free time and feel like it, I still will probably install it just to try it out though.
smile.gif

Back