Emergency Blood Transfusion

Echodelta

Hi CGA,

I'm currently in the hospital getting a blood transfusion as the result of an unknown cause of internal bleeding. Later on today I'm scheduled to have an upper GI scope done. If nothing shows up then it may be a lower GI.

Last Tuesday I noticed I had a high pulse rate but diminished after 5 hours. I canceled my doctors appointment at that time. Right after, I began getting a shortness of breath when walking. As the days came, the shortness of breath came quicker along with lightheadedness, weakness and headaches. Yesterday I went to urgent care after blood work showed low levels in my red blood cell count hemoglobin and hematocrit. I was sent to the emergency room but was discharged after a couple hours. This was due to blood tests showing a slight improvement. I went back to the emergency room just a couple hours later though and was hospitalized. I have other symptoms but won't mention them yet. I am definitely keeping positive but I do ask for your prayers because the cause for the internal bleeding is still unknown.

Praying for your health and praying you have good insurance! (I know it sounds terrible but if you live in America and you're anything like me, it's probably the second thing you think about when you get sick, right after, "Oh no, I hope this isn't serious.)

Praying for your health and praying you have good insurance! (I know it sounds terrible but if you live in America and you're anything like me, it's probably the second thing you think about when you get sick, right after, "Oh no, I hope this isn't serious.)

So far it looks like I'll be owing a little over $1k. But yes, I did think about my health insurance after being hospitalized.

Here's an update. So after the blood transfusion, I requested to walk the hospital floor. From past experiences with hospitalizations, I do not like to be bedridden. Both times I did this, I had to take breaks halfway through. But I felt better as I wasn't straining for air. Yesterday morning I had an upper GI endoscopy. They found a bleeding ulcer & it was cauterized on the spot. I was discharged from the hospital about 4 hours later. I made a followup appointment with my regular doctor for next Thursday. While at home yesterday, I tried to wash the dishes and immediately got a headache and fatigue. Afterwards, I had 2 1-hour sleep sessions. Then I slept from 9pm to 8am. My doctor called earlier today and after I told him about what happened after I was discharged, he wants to see me today. I have noticed that my heart rate is still a little high. As much as I've been hoping & praying that this may be over, it may not be. Thanks for the prayers. I will provide another update soon.

Hello,

Here's another update. A biopsy was taken on the ulcer. The ulcer was caused by a bacteria called, "H Pylori." I'm now on antibiotics for 10 days. On Wednesday I take another blood test and see my doctor again on Thursday. Next month I'll have another upper GI endoscopy. I have another prayer request for foot surgery. That is on hold until I get this bacteria problem and internal bleeding resolved. While the world didn't end in 2012, it has definitely been an interesting year for me. My faith in God was never tested though. I stand steadfast in Him.

I used to have ulcers caused by H. Pylori as well. I was treated several years back and haven't had any problems since. The treatment then was regular doses of medication over the course of two (I think) weeks. I would imagine the treatment hasn't changed much since then.

I'll continue to pray!

Back