Edge of Destiny

Started showing up on some bookshelves a day or two ago, and amazon.com is shipping copies already. However, Christmas + Birthday within 2 weeks of each other = I have to wait until afterwards to go buy.

Will be reading this with my beautiful wife, as with the first book. :D

I've only read the first hundred pages or so - I like it - so far - enough to keep reading.

I've learned the weak point on a Devourer, why Sylvari are so annoying - and Asura, too, how dangerous an angry Ogre can be and one thing that can make a Charr warlord and Logan Thackarey battle brothers. Add to that a cool Norn sculptress and her wolf - well, it just keeps getting better as I read along.

I'll let you know if I like it when I am done.

Picked up a copy on Tuesday, and I'm about half-way through. The Norn set-up/backstory is excellent, but too much (thus far) is left unsaid, and is hardly even implied when it comes to other characters/races. The changes in how one reacts/views another changes from moment to moment, to the point that parts aren't believable due to the lack of background. You "hear" the characters say one thing, but their actions say the exact opposite

After finishing, I plan to go back and re-read "ghosts of ascalon", but so far I prefer that book to this one.

That being said, I do enjoy the danger/formiddableness bestowed on several creature types that gets lost on those of us who haven't faced some of these creatures with any trepidation in some time. There also seems to be a lot of overall setup that will lead into the actual gw2 game and the story at hand. Better to read ahead of time in book-form than quickly skimming an instruction manual/wall of in-game text as you set up your first character(s).

Picked one of these up from the merchant @ barnes and nobles. Haven't started questing through it yet.

Finished reading it - New Year's resolution #1 complete.

I enjoyed the writing - the battles - the characters - everything about it - to a point.

When I read 400+ pages I expect a more rewarding wrap up. To me, it seemed as if the editor said, "400 pages - that's long enough. Wrap this thing up." And they did. Thirteen pages later it is done.

It was a letdown. I enjoy serial books - Lord of the Rings - Jack Aubry - H. Hornblower - Tom Clancy - lots of them - but not this one. I enjoy books that have surprise endings or endings that are different from what I would do - but not this one. Yes, it was a letdown.

But the first 400 pages are a lot of fun and very enjoyable.

Back