DragonHawk Boss.

Woven

After having multiple issues with this fight, I thought I'd actually look it up for myself in more depth (Something everyone who is thinking about ZA should do). Have an idea of the boss fights on the agenda.

Here is what I found:

Spread out best you can from the cone of fire. I saw one diagram that had him tanked in the upper right corner.

1) Go into interface and select camera and make sure you can get a very wide, top down view of this fight. (After watching videos of it..I can see now how easy this makes things) So I configured my pan out to max range. You can see his egg bombs from a very wide perspective downwards and it's very easy to see where to stand. The splash dmg is 5yards.

2) We need to *try* and have (However many adds we decide to release) down before his teleport/ egg bomb spam. It makes it much easier to deal with the egg bombs and of course the adds. If not, I will lose threat when the teleport hits and probably be unable to snatch up the adds until after the egg bombs explode. It will take us time to regain control of the fight.

3) It's not good to tank adds near the flame walls..since getting to close to them will get you owned.. Honestly I thought the flames were just for effect.. but they do lots of dmg to ppl to close..

We will have to determine (Based on gear/dps/config) how many adds we can handle per hatch..so that 1) We have a good chance to kill them all before the teleport/bomb spam and 2) We are able to handle those remaining when he calls what's left at 35%.

Hatch to many without the tanking/ healing/dps gear and we get owned.
Hatch to few at a time while dpsing boss slowly and healers can go oom..

He has 2 enrages: 1 is at 5m mark or 25% health, w/e comes first. (50% dmg and speed buff.) The other is 10m mark and kills everyone.

This fight, perhaps moreso than the other two.. definitely requires our best geared, best specced toons.

In the end..just like other more complex fights (Shade etc) with enough practice he will fall.

Last edited:
nice writeup, sums up everything i have read about the fight.

The comparsion to shade is good as well, sounds like a complicated fight but once your successful at it one or two times it all makes sense :)

If you have 2-3 AOE and a pally tank, it is pretty doable to clear an entire side at a time. Makes the adds cake. Just assign one DPS to take down the opposite hatcher of the tankadin. The tankadin collects all the birds on the other side and AOErs burn them down. Rinse and repeat for the other side then the boss.

The tankadin only has to worry about two things. Seeing the bomblets amongst the mass of birds and clearing the fire debuff between hatcher spawns using their bubble.

We attempted this once or twice I believe. But I'm not sure we had the aoe dps to get it done before the port and the bombs. Which can be some what of an issue.. Our other issue is really staying out of the bombs. I think the camera persepctive change and a little more practice and we will have that under control.

I like your idea, it's good...but I don't know if we are going to have the dps to do it. My pally tank has over 17k stam (18 with lock) and we have nicely geared healers.. I'm just not sure about the aoe dps.. We may need 3 or 2 very geared aoe..to take all the adds..

Danny,
I think you could be right we need to take a look at AOE dps. Probably need everyone in the raid with any kind of AOE dps to help if we are going to take an entire side of adds at a time. The point is though dpsing the boss too quickly and not getting the adds is as bad if not worse...
The bubble between sides is a good idea. After that for the second side we should be able to spam cleanse the rest of the debuffs off of you...

Looking forward to trying again Sunday, I should hopefully be there barring an unforseen work/family issue.

Also folks may want to check out this video: Click Here Music is a little annoying, I usually turn it off in case there is language. You will probably want to as well if language is an issue for you. It has text/words that kind of explain what is going on and tactics. Fits nicely with Danny's earlier post.

Back