Dell Home vs. Small Business

SSquared

Does anyone know the difference between buying a Dell laptop from Home/Small Office versus from Small Business? It's the E1505 vs. 6400. They appear like the same exact machine. When I price out my two identical models, the Small Business version is significantly ($300 or so) less expensive than the Home one.

The one difference is in warranty. Home gives you at home for a year, where Small Business is Mail-in.

I bought from Small Business many years ago with no problems, and would like to continue with Small Business. It definitely seems less expensive.

SMB gives you the discounts you noted(and you have to register an actual business to get said discount). Tech support is usually but not always a grade up. The biggest thing is the price break.

Thanks. That explains it. I never did register a business the first time I signed up with them, but I bought through their Small Business department. I am always getting ads from their SMB group.

I found a 20% off Inspiron Dell Home coupon code, which brings the two prices within about $100 of each other...SMB being the lesser value, as I received a $100 coupon in the mail.

There's also a pretty significant difference in the configurations available to you.

As an example, the options of purchasing a system without a monitor or without an OS were never available to 'Home' buyers...only to 'SMB' buyers (haven't confirmed the monitor one lately, but I'm pretty sure its still this way with OS's). Never understood why they expected me to buy an operating system every time I bought a new PC.

The bundles are also different...a lot of the business laptops will offer a bundled docking station...the home laptops only seem to come with those stupid port expansion stations...

Back