Computer Question

the_great_eskimo_pie

Former Official Thread Killer
Alright, so I have been slowly updating the current machine I have. (Max RAM, Extra fan, New Mouse, New Vid Card, New Monitor....) And I am wondering if it is worth trying to upgrade the power supply to give myself the ability to upgrade the vid card again as well as add a few more Hard Drives and what not. Or if I should wait and buy a quad core machine here in a year or two.

Here is a link to my current machine.

Just asking for a bit of guidance here. I want to keep up with my machine as I will need to do in order to stay ahead in work and school, but at the same time I really don't think I need much more.

considering your power supply that's about as much vid as you are going to be able to get. if you have 2 gigs of ram that's all you are going to be able to install as they have to be in pairs. well..you could put 2 x 512 in there for a total of three...sorry bout that one..:)

Got 4 gig running and it recognizes 3.5 havent had any issues.

I think I'll wait on any type of computer purchase (save a new keyboard) Till after Windows 7 gets released.

the problem is you are going over 4 gig and therefore wrapping around...I'm glad it's working but that's not the stable way to run.:)

Wrapping around? Not sure what that means.

It is running stable. More stable than when I only had 2 gig in it actually. Not sure why.

glad it's working..:)

32 bits is 4 gigs..you have 4 gigs of ram PLUS the ram on the video card PLUS all the buffers on your motherboard PLUS cpu cache..etc etc. Add all of that up and you get probably bout 4.5 gigs of ram..that .5 gigs wraps around hence why you have 3.5 gigs visible.

chiopset..that depends..for intel there's ati, nividia and intel. I was only talking cpu's.

if you want to go dual vid then it's ati..if you are going single vid it's intel..

for amd the only chipsets i would use is ati if you are using ati vid and nvidia if you are using nvidia vid.

Hey HCS i was wondering have you tested Windows 7 yet? I have downloaded it but haven't tried it yet on my old computer because i have to replace a graphics card but i am jobless while waiting on military paperwork to go through.

Back