Community building idea.

Dchsknight

Tribe of Judah Minecraft Community Manager
I recently watched the movie Hercules with the Dwayne "the Rock " Johnson. And this movie inspired me. I would like to propose we as a community build a greek like city. like an Athens or a Sparta. Something of that nature. I think it would be a fun way for us as a community to share ideas and build great things with each other.

What that would mean...

1. Unified building materials. we would need to put together a unified group of approved materials we want to use to build this city.
2. Unified style. We would need to set up examples of types and build all buildings based of those. They should be voted on.
3. Jobs and types of work tackled by all of us. If you like to dig, this would give you a purpose on the server and help us a team build the city.
4. experimentation with new building ideas and processes as I would want to do this with complete survival.
5. A chance to grow and learn more about minecraft and how as a team we can build amazing things in game.

let me know what you all think?

I recently watched the movie Hercules with the Dwayne "the Rock " Johnson. And this movie inspired me. I would like to propose we as a community build a greek like city. like an Athens or a Sparta. Something of that nature. I think it would be a fun way for us as a community to share ideas and build great things with each other.

What that would mean...

1. Unified building materials. we would need to put together a unified group of approved materials we want to use to build this city.
2. Unified style. We would need to set up examples of types and build all buildings based of those. They should be voted on.
3. Jobs and types of work tackled by all of us. If you like to dig, this would give you a purpose on the server and help us a team build the city.
4. experimentation with new building ideas and processes as I would want to do this with complete survival.
5. A chance to grow and learn more about minecraft and how as a team we can build amazing things in game.

let me know what you all think?

Do you have examples of the structures? We have Hercules, but it's the Disney one from a while back, and I don't think it was often described as "inspiring." We have 300, but they didn't spend a lot of time in town there (though I nominate CowRocket for digging the "rude-ambassador-kicking-pit" -- he dug to bedrock as soon as he logged on!). Oh, I see Redbox has the version you saw.

1. Unless we use cobblestone/smooth/smooth bricks, gathering resources will be quite tedious. We can assign this gathering task to someone who's on a lot, or I'd be willing to set up chests or command blocks for supplies for the rarer items (quartz, etc.).

2. So we will need examples anyway.

3. Ditch-digger extraordinaire, at your service! Me and my diamond shovel, "Fly Swatter." Unless another job pays better. What are the benefits offered? Any 401K or other retirement plans?

4. "Complete survival?" Is this an OSHA, "It has been 23 days since an employee died" sort of thing, or do you mean only in survival mode? I like the survival mode-only idea, with or without rare-material spawning.

I am guessing it would be best to have a map (fictional or existing city) for a community project like this. Then we could lay out streets or at least sections so everyone stays in the same scale and knows what goes where.

tl;dr -- I'm game!

Do you have examples of the structures? We have Hercules, but it's the Disney one from a while back, and I don't think it was often described as "inspiring." We have 300, but they didn't spend a lot of time in town there (though I nominate CowRocket for digging the "rude-ambassador-kicking-pit" -- he dug to bedrock as soon as he logged on!). Oh, I see Redbox has the version you saw.

1. Unless we use cobblestone/smooth/smooth bricks, gathering resources will be quite tedious. We can assign this gathering task to someone who's on a lot, or I'd be willing to set up chests or command blocks for supplies for the rarer items (quartz, etc.).

2. So we will need examples anyway.

3. Ditch-digger extraordinaire, at your service! Me and my diamond shovel, "Fly Swatter." Unless another job pays better. What are the benefits offered? Any 401K or other retirement plans?

4. "Complete survival?" Is this an OSHA, "It has been 23 days since an employee died" sort of thing, or do you mean only in survival mode? I like the survival mode-only idea, with or without rare-material spawning.

I am guessing it would be best to have a map (fictional or existing city) for a community project like this. Then we could lay out streets or at least sections so everyone stays in the same scale and knows what goes where.

tl;dr -- I'm game!

Oh no the movie was not inspiring to say it was profound but basically I have been very fickle with my video games lately. I am patiently waiting for one of them to come out and it is taking them forever!

any way I just liked the idea of a city and I looked up online about Minecraft cities and my imagination just we wild.

As for structures I am thinking square and practical, easy to build, but visually appealing. Then as the districts move up in ritz-i-ness the homes and buildings can get nicer.

Here are some examples of already built mine craft cities...

Thrair2_6328672.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

This is an underwater city...
5f7e4a7f50dcf5ee77e6c17079414732.jpg

A Babylonian styled city...
2013-03-24_171859_5126505.jpg

A circular city...
minecraft-walled-city_thumb.jpg

These are just many examples of what we can do...

In response to your lists...

1. Nether rack is very easy to mine/get. So is sandstone. Clay is as well now a days with the mesa biome. There is also red sand stone which is made the same way regular sandstone is made. As for rarer mats I think it would be cool to have some of them built in butnot the whole place built with it. Quartz is very fun to build with, but that is also easy enough to get. It is just harder to navigate int he nether but not impossible.

2. see above.

3.I mean this project would jsut be for fun If no one else wants to do I still might do it. Just I would be doing it my myself. It is more of a Challange to try and get more people playing and teach and grow in minecraft. I am cosntatnly trying to push myself in minecraft and build my skill.

4.I am meaning only in survival. no flying and dealing with creepers and such. that means we would need ot get farms set up, cattle and livestock, etc.

There would definitly be plans but I would only want to be a stickler on mats used and staying with in a general build guideline. For example do we have wood logs for frames? do we use flat roofs or gabbled? do we use building mats variation or do our places look uniform and such? That kind of thing. That then will give a more city feel, all of a city is not built by one person.

Exciting I might do some scouting of areas on the current world. or if we can have more then 1 world that might work too.

Did some scouting there is a Jungle and ocean straight south from Shepards place. Across that there a desert area. I think that would be a perfect place to build a city.

Did some scouting there is a Jungle and ocean straight south from Shepards place. Across that there a desert area. I think that would be a perfect place to build a city.

Haha. Should I start on an underwater tunnel to the desert, running along the sea floor? That sounds like a fun challenge. :) Oh, I better hit the desert first for some sand -> glass. I think some generous zombie left me some gold aqua affinity boots or something to help.

Head into my town and just keep heading straight -- I now have a cobblestone walk that will take you all the way to the shore, within sight of your camp in the desert. The underwater tunnel has begun, too.

Head into my town and just keep heading straight -- I now have a cobblestone walk that will take you all the way to the shore, within sight of your camp in the desert. The underwater tunnel has begun, too.

epic. I will check it out soon. Right now I am making phone calls at work and then I can be on to check it all out. I will be gathering Jungle wood for the wood needs. As for the main building mats. I am looking at doing sand stone. There is plenty of sand near by and as we work our way out we can start going to stone and such. I will have at first a big dock building that will serve as our storage, crafting and staging area.

Alright have a real simple building set up. it is apart of the "dock" but it is an example of a housing we can use. It is really simple made with jungle logs,jungle fence, sandstone, a jungle door. it is 10x10. you can go check it out too, if you want.

here are some pictures of it. the cords for it are 322 80 898
2015-07-28_11.04.57.jpg2015-07-28_11.05.40.jpg2015-07-28_11.06.10.jpg

This the first example I will have a few more.

Last edited:
Here is another example. this is a simple 1 story house with a small tower and roof access. Only made with sandstone and cobble stone. supereasy to make.

2015-07-29_09.01.45.jpg2015-07-29_09.02.27.jpg

OK so i have a bunch of foundations put down. I will be placing signs as to what the buildings are. If anyone wants to come help build your more then welcome to. Just us the materials that are already used in the current buildings. You can build them how you wnat after that.

I of course will also be building them. Most of them have the corner posts up in cobble stone you can take those down if you want. IF you are claiming a building to build jsut post a sign that your doing.

My only request is if you are going to help build actually help dont just place a sign and then dont sign on for weeks or not progress on the building.

2015-08-20_12.53.57.jpg2015-08-20_12.54.32.jpg2015-08-20_12.54.49.jpg2015-08-20_12.55.161.jpg

City is coming along!

It would be nice if someone could come along and help decorate.

Last edited:
Back