College!

Greetings CGA,
It's been a while since my last visit/last post, but I'd like to let you know that somehow I'm still alive. Right now I'm on some crazy path of pure greatness that comes from accomplishment. Normally I'm used to coasting by, hating school, etc., but now that I'm a freshman, I'm having
SO
MUCH
FUN.

For starters, calculus is actually going by quickly this time. Of course, it's only 1 semester long, so naturally it is faster, but there's also less stupidity in the assignments. I'm actually doing the work because I know I'll need it to do well on the exams, not avoiding it because I know I'll pass anyway.

And my teachers are all great. Even though I can't say I'm excited about the topics we're going to discuss in Nature & Human Values (a course mixing ethics and writing, required for all engineering majors here), I must say that the teacher is a very understanding person who actually sees things in a fair, non-biased way. For example, she loves doing class discussions where we debate opinions that we read about in our assigned readings, and she doesn't pick a side and say that any of us are wrong.

My calculus teacher is really interesting, so my calculus class is just as interesting. That always helps where focus and study are concerned. The way the course is set up allows me to be efficient and understand the path ahead of me, not blindly navigate through math like I've essentially done the past 13 years.

My physics teacher is probably the strangest person I've ever met but it actually makes the class worth going to. And I have a great lab group in that class. I can't say so much about the material we're studying. However, the homework system in that class is almost as convenient and useful as the calculus homework system (only I don't know when I'll have homework until the week I get it).

Earth science is probably the least exciting of my classes (it's moderately interesting in itself, and the teacher is great, but I've already had a very similar class and don't find this one very rewarding). Although not much of a challenge, I still like going to it.

The freshman success seminar... Nevermind, I don't want to talk about that one. (Lol.)

And the most unique experience so far, which I'm going to create a wall of text for, is the Air Force ROTC program. Just a bit of background on why I'm choosing to go into the Air Force: I've always been interested in the forefront of technology, specifically aerospace technology, and the Air Force has the most opportunities for being at the forefront of technological advancement.
Aside from that, the concept of being in the service and being an officer is quite amazing. But for now, I'm just dipping into the culture, which is great.
This morning at 0600 (6:00AM, bright and early -- dark and early*) was my first PT (Physical Training) session. Although I can't really suggest that I've been in shape for much of my life or that I've actually attempted to get into shape to prepare for ROTC (I came up with the idea of joining only about 5 months ago), I can say that it was fun and rewarding. 30 minutes of just running, with my legs already sore from having hiked up a mountain, gone caving, and biked uphill several times in one day, was definately a new experience.
I'm not sure how AS100 class (Foundations of the USAF) is going to go, since last week all I did was sign a bunch of paperwork, but the teacher is (like all my other teachers) awesome.
LLab (Leadership Lab) is also fun, and although part of it is sort of like marching band from high school, it's not only easier, but also more difficult (and much better) than marching band was (and everybody who's there actually cares and attempts to do well, unlike high school band).

On another end of the spectrum, I'm developing friendships (which surprises me because I'm very introverted) with a lot of people. There are 12 others in ROTC, 3 roommates, several RAs, and people from each of my classes who I am getting to know quite well. I've already found a duet partner for piano, and we're learning a duet piece together. I also have a study buddy for calculus.

Well, that's about all I can think to say. Now that I've spewed my life's story, it's about time for me to get offline and get back to doing college things.

I hope you all have exciting, eventful, and rewardingly difficult lives like I'm having!

P.S.: Theater auditions are Thursday and Friday, and I'm excited! Also, for those of you who are now wondering where in the world I'm posting this from, I'm attending Colorado School of Mines for Mechanical Engineering.

Last edited:
Nice to hear you're enjoying college. I'm on my first day at a new college (my old one went belly up) so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it here.

Woo AFROTC! Det 014 ftw! xD It's my second year and I love it. Especially the annual Wing paintball games. :D

Back