Clean or Christian Techno

MASH 4077

hey, does anyone know of any christian or clean GOOD techno, i found some christian ones but they aren't very good :eek:

Ahh, a topic I can really help with. Firstly, you're right. 90% of Christian electronica (I don't call it techno, I'll get to that) is really, really awful. Low production values and low budget often mean music you really just wouldn't want to hear. I'm going to split the remaining into three sections.

Section I: Christian Artists I Recommend

If you're into psytrance, there was a scandinavian college student on the OLD mp3.com that published a few 12"s under the name Coretex, and released one CD on the mp3.com website that you could buy. I have it, and after mp3.com was bought out and wiped out about 1.5 years ago, he has not resurfaced. Because of that, I have no qualms about sending you the mp3s if you want them. PM me and I'll see if I can get them to you.

If you like Crystal Method style breaks, I would give Paradigm Shift a listen. These guys actually came out BEFORE The Crystal Method released their groundbreaking Vegas, and personally I'm inclined to think that TCM borrowed at least a little from them. Paradigm Shift is one of my favorite CDs of all time. They still play shows, in Texas, but I think their days of publishing CDs are over. Too bad.

If you like retro-style drum and bass, you should give Faith Massive a listen. They're completely unorginal and most of their things sound like ripoffs of LTJ Bukem, but if you're into his work that may not be a bad thing for you.

The Raving Loonatics are pretty good too. That link goes to the myx records store. They don't have the original CD anymore but all those mp3s were off of the album that I have and I can recommend every one of them except Bound, which has a quasi-happy-hardcore vibe to it and I LOATHE happy hardcore. I'm pretty sure it's the worst thing I've ever heard.

Also, there's this Shazbot guy I heard of once. He sounded like he might be good but I don't know... :D ;)

And I put this one last so it would really stick in your mind: DJ Shagz. UT co-leader and also the awesomeness. Seriously. Sometimes the tracks he mixes together have some swearing on them, so if you're sensitive to that you may want to avoid them (he usually has them marked) but I haven't heard any with objectionable themes or content.

Section II: Personal Philosophy On Music

You have probably guessed by now, but most of the music that I listen to, as a devout electronica-head, is not made by Christians. However, I would still consider it Christian music. Here's my reasoning: God created music. Without Him music would not exist. We can ask why He created it, but it's pretty much the same as asking why He created everything. We don't know the exact reason why, but Psalm 19 says that the heavens declare His glory, the firmament declares His handiwork, day to day utters speech, and night to night reveals knowledge.

That seems to be the most probable reason to me: God created everything to declare His glory. Everything, in this case, includes music. That means that music, unless defiled with anti-Christian messages, glorifies God. This was further strengthened in my mind when I read Titus 1:15: "To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled." The context here is was defending the doctrine that circumcision is not required for salvation, but I think it applies to this situation also.

Besides, most electronica is instrumental only. How can an instrumental song be secular or Christian? It is neither.

So remember, these are just my opinions, but I personally don't worry if a song is Christian or not. I just think, "Would Jesus listen to this?" Because if I listen to it, He will too. He never leaves me. Ever.

And one more thing: as a Christian that composes music, I can tell you that I am not here using my gifts to market music to Christians. Toby Mac can do that just fine. I'm here to market Christianity to a secular culture. Some Christians diss on Christian bands for playing shows with secular ones, and those people need to realize that they are not the target audience for that show!

And about proper terminology, "techno," strictly speaking, refers to a subcategory of a larger technology-based music genre, a subcategory in which looping, heavy-machinery-emulating sounds are layered usually quite densely over a simple "four on the floor" bass beat, usually with a synthesized snare on the backbeats and an open hi-hat on the off-counts. The generally accepted term among enthusiasts these days for the entire genre, incorporating all styles, is electronica. It's goofier sounding, but I think it lends more credibility to the art form (and yes, it IS an art form).

That being said, I will now introduce my third section.

Section III: Clean Electronica I Recommend

I have very eclectic tastes, so you may not like everything on this list, but I'm going to list all my favorite electronica CDs vaguely in order of influence from greatest to least. All of these CD's on this list are 90% comprised of clean songs-- that is, most are completely clean CDs but some of them have one or two songs that I don't listen to. I will not recommend a CD if it's not almost entirely clean. The completely clean ones will be asterisked. (*) I'll also try to give a quick description of the style.

Orbital's In Sides*: Long, cinematic electro. One of the old-school originals that stayed relevant.

High Contrast's True Colors and High Society: Disco-jazzy-drum-and-bass at 170 bpm. Tickles my intelligent music bone and makes me move. (Clean except for Suddenly, Angels and Fly, and Only Two Can Play)

Anything by the Thievery Corporation, but especially The Richest Man in Babylon: Deep, funky, trippy, ethnic reggae-hip-hop by two dudes from Seattle. (One usage of n****r by a black rapper on a somewhat anti-America song)

Hybrid's Wider Angle and Morning Sci-Fi: Like the Crystal Method but better and with violins. Morning Sci-Fi is a bit more eclectic, and a bit less strictly 130-bpm breaks. (Don't listen to the vocal tracks)

Bonobo's Animal Magic* and Dial M for Monkey*: So eclectic you can't describe it and so good you can't stop listening to it. Abstract hip-hop meets just about anything you can think of.

Zero 7's Simple Things*: Self-described backyard-barbecue music from England that makes you feel relaxed and peaceful without being boring or cheesy.

The Herbaliser's Blow Your Headphones: Instrumental hip-hop taken seriously. Not a 5:30 eight-bar loop. Trust me, it's amazing stuff. (Don't listen to the tracks with rapping.)

The Verve Remixed Series: Like they said-- the world's best producers and DJ's remixing the world's best jazz. (I can't think of anything specifically that I remember, but I haven't heard every song in the collection, just most of them.)

Dieselboy's The Dungeonmaster's Guide: This stuff is bangin'. Whatever it is you're doing when you're listening to this, it'll make you want to do it HARDER and FASTER. Homework, dishes, driving, dancing, whatever. Electronica's equivalent to heavy metal. In fact, it has crossover appeal to many hard rock kids. The last track, Human, still blows my mind. I usually have it on when I'm pwning the n00bs at UT2004. (Various DnD references in small spoken snippets, i.e. "The spell has been cast" or "there is no escape from the darkness," and one track, Follow the Leader, that may mention Satan-- though everybody I've played the track for, thinks different things about what he's saying. I skip it anyway, as it's not one of my favorites on the disc regardless of the possibly bad lyric.)

Sasha's Involver: Trippy progressive house and soft breaks. Beyond description, really. A critically-acclaimed genre-bender that somehow manages to be infectious, energizing, and relaxing all at once. (All clean except for Watching Cars Go By.)

This is a very incomplete list, but that's enough recommendations for one day. Post if you need more.

Last edited:
Cool beans, thanks for that list. I'll have to look into those bands you mentioned, I've been meaning to get into the whole electronica thing for a while. I really like that Paradigm Shift band, I'll probably get their CD sometime.

Ok, i will say "electronica" now heh. I am looking for fast stuff, i listened to some of those and it seemed like almost all of it was slow. I will check out that iMix tho.

Last edited:
there is a happy hardcore group called scooter, they are really good. Some of their songs have mild language. Ill listen through the songs of theirs that i have and list the ones that dont have language in them.

speedcore is a good and fast genre from what i heard. Might want to look into that too.

Ok, what is "mild" language is that like crap and stuff or do you mean just, not alot of it. Cus some people count mild language as crap and stupid and things like that.

Just my opinion, but I find any electronica genre with "core" in it to be terrible. Four on the floor beats are not meant to go past 145 bpm. Happy hardcore is the worst though.

Fast stuff (i.e. at or greater than 130 bpm): try T. Raumschmiere, Leftfield, Overseer, DJ Icey, Way Out West, Cyantific, Landslide, Roni Size, Daft Punk, Elite Force, Sander Kleinenberg, Concord Dawn, Bad Company, Hive, Calyx, Echo, Gridlok, Juju, or Aphrodite to name a few.

Skillet's not really electronica, but they do have a really awesome keyboard player. If you like Skillet's more electronic stuff, try Earthsuit, Joy Electric, or the Echoing Green.

Last edited:
Yeah i dont personally care for skillet, the singers voice sounds like all screwed up, its sounds like he is has those pop rocks inside of his mouth when he is singing. And i like Electronica stuff that doesn't have much singing/rapping, just like the music.

Yeah, I agree, the skillet guy's voice is terrible, it's like he's yelling/singing. I say do one or the other, because attempting to mix the two at the same time just sounds awful (that or he's just not very good at it and I haven't heard it done right yet). And that's coming from someone who listens to all forms of rock including death metal (christian of course).
kraniac said:
And one more thing: as a Christian that composes music, I can tell you that I am not here using my gifts to market music to Christians. Toby Mac can do that just fine.
Oh, and this reminded me, have you guys seen the trailer for The Transporter 2? The whole thing is set to a Toby Mac song! I thought that was cool despite the fact that I think Toby Mac lacks talent (hey, that's just my opinion, if one of you likes him, cool).

I like the first Transporter. They had better not screw it up.

Oh, and I forgot, Moby's music is Christian. He's a devout born-again Catholic. He's also pro-abortion, and I've only heard a few of his songs, but I haven't heard anything offensive in them. I hear that his new album Hotel is pretty much straight rock'n'roll though.

This is question for ya, is there just one program that you can make some good songs with, not like 3 of them. I dont want to buy a bunch cus 1 good program like that cost like 100-200$, thats ridiculus. Thats a good song, i like it! :D

If you can only afford one program and you want to write music with software, go for Propellerhead Reason. The sequencer is MIDI-based which means you don't have direct waveform control over the sound at all stages of creation, and it doesn't have the kind of effects Acid will let you perform, but if you get Acid you won't be able to generate sound directly, either-- you'll be limited to chopping and modifying loops other people generated, which severely limits your creative options. However, I would honestly suggest starting with a Korg Electribe MX, as I think that gives you the most uses, applications, and creative freedom for each dollar spent. Chilly Orange Juice was composed entirely on an Electribe MX, and recorded live, in one take. After I had it recorded, I didn't master, mix or EQ anything besides normalizing it. That gives you a good idea of how much power that machine has.

Sweetwater has one for $500. I got mine from there on sale for $450.

Last edited:
Back