Chivah's adventures

Malohaut

Chivah walked into the church, much to the dislike of the servants there.  He was hot, sweaty, and filthy, but of course slaving all day over the forge will do that to you.  Alter boys looked at him with disgust as well as the new priest Dillion.  But that did not stop the Paladin from heading over to a corner pew, where sat brother Gyllis.

"Chivah!" came a warm welcome.  "Come!  Sit.  How are you?"

"I'm doing well my friend.  What are you working on?"

"This?  Oh.  It's my sermon for next service."

"I see.  . . . I need some information if you have the time."

"Sure!  What's on your mind?"

"Tell me about the Joseph of Egypt.  The one in the bible."

OOC:  Your turn Gyllis.  Just spend some time sharing who Joseph was and emphasize his method of solving problems.  I have a plan brewing.  :)

"Hmm..." Gyllis ponders Chivah's request as he stands up from his seat. He walks over to a stack of parchment nearby and shuffles through them, pulling out several pieces.

Sitting back down next to Chivah, Gyllis flips through the pages. "Ah..here we go...Joseph."

Gyllis scans the scriptures of Genesis that were written by Moses so many years ago. He then looks out the church at the sinking sun.

"Services shall begin soon, so I will try and do my best with a summary."

Chivah nods.

"Joseph was the son of Jacob, otherwise known as Israel. Jacob had twelve children, two of which were born of a different mother, Rachel. Jacob loved Rachel, and cherished the sons she bore for him. There names were Joseph,the oldest, and Benjamin, the youngest.

"Because of his favoritism towards these sons, Joseph was despised by his brothers. It only got worse after Jacob gave Joseph an elaborate cloak. They wouldn't even speak to him. Joseph then began to have dreams. The first showed his bundle of wheat standing straight up as his brothers' bundles bowed down to it. Joseph's brothers became even more angry seeing this as a sign of them bowing down to him.

"Later, Joseph had another dream of the moon, sun, and eleven stars bowing down to him. Even his father reprimanded him, seeing that this dream was a sign that himself and Joseph's mother would also bow down to him."

Gyllis looks again at the sun, realizing his time is short.

"Eventually Joseph's brothers conspired against Joseph wanting to kill him, but one, by the name of Reuben, intervened. The brothers decided to sell Joseph into slavery, taking his coat to their father making him believe that he was killed."

Chivah's eyes widen at the sound of the word 'slavery.' Gyllis takes notice. "I must ask, what is it that is on your mind to ask me about this?" For Gyllis had only heard rumors of what Chivah had been up to, and wanted to see if Chivah would be open to him.

Chivah hesitates for a moment, gathering his thoughts, then tells the story of his sister being forced into slavery.

"But what of Joseph?" Gyllis asks. "You think there might be answers in his story?"

Chivah reaches into his pouch and pulls out a torn piece of parchment. "Sarcalogos sent this my way a few days ago." Gyllis takes the parchment and sees the writing.

"This is definantly Sarcalogos's writing, but is this all the message said?"

Chivah nods, "It was all I received."

"Well, if there are answers within the story of Joseph, then you may not have to worry so much about your sister."

Gyllis flips through his parchment some more, moving on with Joseph's story.

(ooc: I will continue this later...got interrupted and must leave....)

"After Joseph was enslaved, God was still with him. His master saw this and made him overseer of his house. Soon, however, Joseph caught the eyes of the master's wife. She asked him to lie with him, but being a Godly man, Joseph refused."

Chivah smiles at Joseph's decision.

"One day, when the master's wife was trying to seduce Joseph, he ran and left his coat in her hands. Being angry, she showed the coat to the men of the house and her husband accusing him of trying to seduce her. The master became angry and put Joseph in prison."

Chivah bows his head in a bit of despair.

"But God was still with Joseph and the jailer put him in charge of the prisoners. Two of these prisoners were chief butler and baker of Pharaoh, after making him angry. One night, they both dreamed a dream. The butler dreamed of a vine with three branches that budded and blossoms shot forth. The clusters brought forth ripe grapes. He also saw Pharoah's cup in his hand, and himself pressing the grapes into Pharoah's cup and giving it to him."

By now, Chivah is listening intently to the story.

"Joseph interpreted this dream, telling the butler that within three days, Pharoah restore the butler's position and that the butler shalt deliver Pharoah's cup into his hand. Joseph told him that when it came true, to make mention of him to Pharaoh and to bring him out of the jail."

Chivah's lips curl in a smile. "Did he remember?"

Gyllis chuckles. "We shall see."

Chivah nods.

"When the baker saw that the interpretation was good, he asked Joseph about his dream. He had seen himself with three baskets upon his head. In the uppermost basket, there was all manner of bake-meats for Pharoah, and the birds ate of the food in the basket.

"Joseph interpreted the dream telling the baker that within three days, Pharoah would hang the baker and the birds will eat his flesh."

A look of disgust comes onto Chivah's face.

"Indeed these dreams come true, and to answer your question, the butler forgot about Joseph, at least for a while. Two years later, Pharoah had a dream. He saw seven fat cows come up from the river, then seven lean cows. The lean cows then ate the fat cows.

"Another dream, Pharoah saw seven ears of corn upon a stalk, but then seven thin ears sprung up after them and devoured the good corn. Pharoah asked all the wise and all the magicians of his dream, but none could interpret. It was then that the butler remembered Joseph and told about him to Pharoah.

"Pharoah asked Joseph about his dreams and he interpreted them. There would be seven years of great harvest, then seven years of famine. Joseph warned Pharoah, telling him to find someone to look over the land and store up the food from the good years so that there would be plenty during the famine. Pharoah agreed and seeing that Joseph was so wise and blessed by God, he appointed him overseer of the whole land of Egypt."

Chivah nods his head and smiles. "So you think that God is with my sister?"

"Aye, and maybe he has big plans for her as well."

Chivah's smile straigtens as he looks at the floor.

Gyllis looks at him with concern. "What's wrong?"

"I wonder if I shall ever see her. A sister that I never knew of, only to find out that I may never see her."

"Don't lose all hope, there's still more to the story of Joseph." He looks down at his parchment. "You see, once the years of famine came, it not only affected Egypt, but all the surrounding lands, including Canaan where Joseph's family lived.

"Jacob sent his sons, except for Benjamin, to buy food from Egypt. Joseph's brothers arrived in Egypt, and not recognizing their brother asked to buy grain for their family. Immediately, Joseph recognized them, but did not reveal himself. Instead he accused them of being spies, and questioned of their family, finding out that his father and younger brother still lived. He kept one of his brothers, sending the others to retrieve Benjamin, but Jacob would not hear of it. He had already lost one son of Rachel's, and would not lose the other. Eventually, however, the famine became so bad that the family had to return to Egypt. Knowing that the overseer of Egypt would not give them food unless they had Benjamin with them, the brothers convinced Jacob to let them take him.

"When they arrived, Joseph invited them to dinner before giving them their goods to return home with. But inside Benjamin's sack, Joseph had placed his cup. Accusing them of stealing, he requested that Benjamin stay behind. When the brothers refused and told the story of what they did to Joseph and showed their regret, Joseph revealed themselves to them. After hearing of the reunion, Pharoah requested that Joseph's family live in the best lands of Egypt and that he would take care of them. And so it came to pass, that Joseph and his family were reunited and became a great people in Egypt."

Chivah nodded in understanding for a moment, then curiousity took over. "I had thought that it may have meant add"

"Aye, the name Joseph does indeed."

"So you think she will be added back into my family?"

"Maybe, but maybe there will be more added than you think. I feel that God has great plans for your sister. Just trust in Him."

Chivah nods, "I will...thank you." He takes Gyllis's hand who smiles in response.

Gyllis looks out the church doors, seeing the setting sun. " I believe it is getting close to my time to preach. Forgive me for being so hasty in telling the story. You may read the story for yourself, if you want." He hands the parchment to Chivah, patting him on the shoulder before walking away.

The service had been cut short into a prayer meeting as there was a call to arms that was to soon follow. When the meeting was over, Gyllis came over to Chivah, who was sitting in the corner thinking. The scroll had been returned to the others.

"What are you thinking about?" asked Gyllis, seeing he had a little more time to share before the call to arms.

"Do you think its possible that God's message can have multiple meanings? That one word could mean several things?"

"Of course. That's how God works a lot of times. He's so effective, that he can turn a single word into an entire library of meanings." Gyllis sat down and cocked his head with curiosity.

"How does Joseph's story end again?" Chivah looked up as if he was searching for something. Now Gyllis already told him once, but he figured maybe Chivah should hear it straight from God.

"Go look it up. The Genesis scroll chapter 50 verses 17 - 21."

Chivah went and retrieved a scroll. He returned with it and began to scan through it. "Chapter 50??"

"verses 17 - 21"

"Um Okay." he started to read aloud. "Do not repay anyone for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Gyllis looked up with curiosity, for that certainly wasn't Genesis. Chivah continued. "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord. On the contrary: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

Gyllis was over by the scrolls, searching through each one. "Genesis. Genesis. It was here earlier. Where is it?"

Chivah just stared out into space. "Joseph was sold into slavery, yet he was watched over by God. My sister was sold into slavery, so she must be under God's care somewhere."

Gyllis nodded and kept looking.

"Joseph means to add. My sister will be added back into my life!"

Gyllis walked over and picked up the scroll that Chivah had read from. It wasn't Genesis 50 but Romans 12. How odd. He returned it to the pile and kept looking.

"Do not repay evil for evil. But be kind to your enemies and overcome evil with good." Chivah continued to think aloud. "A lot of people did Joseph much injustice, but instead, he always returned injustice with kindness, and he never fought back. And God took care of him." He stood up. "No more must I spill blood on my sister's behalf! No more will I kill bandit after rouge in search of my sister! My quest must be completed without anymore bloodshed! That's God's message to me!"

"Ah HAH!" yelled Gyllis as he found the Genesis scroll. Strange, for it had somehow ended up at the very bottom of the pile. He turned around. "Here's the right scr . . . Chivah? . . . Chivah?" He looked around but oddly enough, the Paladin was gone.

Roenry sat behind a pillar and listened as the two men talked.

Ever since Chivah had confronted him about his past, Roenry had been avoiding his new friends. They couldn't possibly understand, and would almost certainly turn him over to his father if they knew who he really was. It was their nature. They were honest people, followers of Christ, and upstanding citizens of Camelot.

He heard Chivah reading from the last scroll, and couldn't help but feel dread at what he heard. 'do not repay anyone for evil.'

"Chivah, my friend, I'm sorry we couldn't have met under better circumstances", Roenry said to himself, and walked out the door, and left Camelot, cloaked in the shadows of the alleys.

Back in Camelot city, the round table was full of activity, as it had not been in a long while. Lord Desane, a dark, seedy man, was speaking with his personal knights. Appearently, word had gotten out of his son, and he wished to know where he was last seen. It had been years since his son had betrayed him and released the heretics. He had called a meeting, at Arthurs own seat he sat himself, and demanded to know all that had been seen and heard.

A small, scared rouge appeared before him, terrified that at any minute one of the brutish knights would lob his head clean off his body.

"Tell me, scum, what do you know of the traitor Ronentstane?", demanded Desane.

"If by Ronenstane, you mean the dreaded Roenry, m'lord, than I only know the name and tales. He was last seen with a dangerously focused man called Chivah. He's with the Christians in the church. It is said that the two killed thousands of slavers with only their hands! That Giants tremble at the sight of their hoods, and that at any moment a rouge could fall victim to a perfectly aimed arrow! There is a large reward for Roenry, put out by Falrod the Great. I can only hope..."

"Silence! I have heard enough! Throw him in the prison. Allow him no visitors." Lord Desane interupted.

"M'lord! please! I have done you no wrong! I came on my own free will..." SCHINCT! One blow through the neck, and the man was beheaded.

"If it is true that Ronenstane has found an ally, then they are my enemy, and enemies to the throne of the rightful king... me. Constantine will not hold the power in Albion for long. Soon, I will be crowned, and all realms will worship me! FIND RONENSTANE! My son will die for his insolence! Bring me his friend... this... Chivey..."

"Chivah, m'lord Des..."

SCHINCT!

"DO NOT CORRECT ME!", Desane bellowed.

A sturdy knight clad in a deadly black armor, with a blood stained ax upon his back stood before Desane. "M'lord, I know of this Chivah... He is nothing more than a street rat. He has many friends, but none strong enough to stand in my way, I will bring you Chivah, and all his friends' heads!"

"So be it..." Desane said, and turned as his dark robes floated behind him, and disappeared from the dark knights sight.

"Finally, Chivah, you will get what is owed to you...", he said, as a slight smile cracked across his scarred, deformed face.

(ooc: sorry for posting this story line in your forum, it just seemed to fit. It's interesting how everyones stories lie around Chivahs, heh. GO CHIVAH! GO GOD!)

Something was happening in the realm of Camelot that seemed to worry many of the Albions. Not only was there a massive battle ravaging the frontier, but the mainland itself seemed to be under attack from some violent thunderstorm. Although for the most part, Chivah was largly unskilled, he raced anyway to Gothwaite Harbor to try and do whatever he could to help.
After talking with the mage and paying him the fee, Chivah stood and looked around while the spell was being cast. Just as the spell was completed, the young Paladin looked up. The world around him froze as the mystical bubble prepared to transport him home, but before the harbor faded from view, Chivah noticed before him, hanging in mid-air, a blood-stained axe frozen in place. Its tosser could be seen in the far background, clad in pure black. Had the porting spell been cast one second later, it would have transported a corpse.
"Who the heck was that? An enemy spy perhaps? Or maybe an old relative? Or did he have anything to do with the bandits?" These question and more plagued Chivah as Fort Sauvage materialized around him. His mind was too occupied to notice the hoard of albion troops rushing out into the frontier, defying the heavy winds and rains.
"Chivah!" came a voice from a corner. "Chivah! There you are!" Lilyan and Zyggi can running over.
"Hey guys. What's going on?"
Lilyan grabbed the paladin's arms as she began to lead him towards camelot. "Come on! Hurry!" she pleaded. "Something terrible has happened in camelot." added Zyggi. The three friends raced towards the main city together as Chivah was briefed along the way.

Back