Chivah's adventures

Malohaut

*From only knee high, he could not see much in the dense forest, but that did not stop the snowflakes from drifting down towards him. A very bundled and warm Chivah ran circles around his mother's legs; never had a child enjoyed such pure joy. He could have played and ran and laughed forever, but a hand placed on his tiny shoulders stopped him, and he looked up. A finger on father's lips indicated it was time, and Chivah crouched low. With a nod of agreement, mother and father stood side by side, looking off into the distance. But what they were looking at, Chivah could not see.

Father moved his arms as light began to well up in his hands, and it was gleeful to watch. In a swift, jerky motion, he sent his hand forward and a bright ball of fire shot out into the woods. His motions repeated as an angered growl echoed from the distance. The shaking of the ground and the approaching grunts frightened Chivah as he ran behind a tree. Father sent off another fireball and continued his casting as a large blue head could be seen over the treetops. It was a glacier giant, one who seemed to be frying alive. Mother also moved her hands with poetic motion, and sent her palms skyward. A fierce storm of lightning lashed out at the incoming giant sending more throngs of thunder and yelps echoing through the valley. Between the onslaught of fire and lightning, the giant's massive body finally failed, and it fell to the earth as a lifeless hulk.

Mother and father cheered with joy at their victory. It was so wonderful to see the love they had, and their passion for sharing life together as they hugged. Mother turned to summon Chivah, but she stopped. Her beautiful face changed from a joyful smile to a zoned out expression. She collapsed in fathers arms as a large arrow could be seen sticking out of her back. Father held her close and cried as her life slipped away in his very arms. A sudden noise caught his attention as a pair of tearful eyes looked up. There, in the distance, charged a pack of axe welding trolls, but little Chivah saw no more as he turned and fled with great fear. He ran and ran and ran as he heard the sad howls of trollish victory behind. Finally, his little legs could run no more and he collapsed to his knees, weeping sorrowfully. He was fortunate that he was not heard as his tears wearied him and sleep overtook him.*

From the distance came Amalgrimm, finally, and Chivah new that the ceremony was about to begin. His painful memory slowly faded away, yet it left behind a single tear of remembrance.

Unkept, unclean, and unshaven, Chivah sat quietly in a corner of the stables. With his clothes tattered and his hair a mess, it was clear that he was affiliated with the local bandits, a ruthless group that took him in as a child. But somehow, he never felt like he belonged. He never fully felt comfortable taking advantage of innocent passerbys and stealing their life and their possessions. Little did he realize that these feelings were the result of the emotional scar obtained during his childhood, and instead of waiting ruthlessly by the roadsides, he just wandered about. Its how he found this place, but strangly enough, nobody recognized what he was, or even noticed he was there. It was almost as if he was invisible, yet that was clearly not the case.

The wedding service began and Malohaut said a few opening words. But wait. What's this? A wizard leading a marriage ceremony as well as talking about things that are usually only spoken in church? And that was not the strangest part. Here was Chivah, a thief, a murderer, and a scoundral, sitting in a place of stench, yet there was a fresh fragrance in the air, and he felt almost refreshed and uplifted, not depressed and spiteful like every other day.

Amalgrimm and Bethshaya stood up. Here were two well known warriors of the frontier, fierce and skillful in the art of war. Yet they stood now, before each other, with a peace about them. There was no hate or malice in their eyes, and their faces revealed no weariness or scorn. As the two spoke their vows to each other, Chivah's head began to swirl. Memories and feelings rushed his heart and soul as if a great emotional wall had been broken. The pure love between these two was very similar to the love in the parents he had long forgotten. Anger, pain, and hatred fought hard against peace, patience, and love. He buried his head in his hands and rocked back and forth trying to make sense of the world. He knew love once, but it was stripped from him, only to be replaced by those who wished him to do harm. Who was he? What was he? Would he always be a worthless cut-purse, or could he obtain the very love that seemed unobtainable?

Chivah looked up, but saw nobody there; nobody but the wizard. He had been lost in his thoughts for so long, that he had missed the rest of the ceremony. Malohaut was outside, leaning against the stable's side. He was smiling and looking around at the lands. In one brief moment, he turned and looked in Chivah's direction offering him a smile and a nod before turning to watch the sky. The young rouge stepped out and sat down on the other end of the wall. "Hello there." started the wizard in a warm, soft voice. "Beautiful day isn't it?"

Hello? Beautiful day? Could this wizard not see Chivah for who he was? Never had Chivah remembered such kindness towards him. There was a moment of awkward silence as the two said nothing. Finally, at long last, Chivah looked over. "Excuse me Mr. Wizard. But can I ask you a question?"

"Of course. Go right ahead." came the reply. Leaning on his staff, the wizard turned to face Chivah as he listened with open ears and an open heart.

Philippi walked out of the church after the ceremony, staff in hand.  As he headed towards the old forge, he glanced to the stables, a smile broke across his face.  He was glad seeing the air of joyful peace surrounding Malohaut.  That old friend had seen his share of the unfair things of this world and it gladdened Pip's heart to see him smile.

From Chivah though he could sense uncertainty.  Pip didn't worry about it much, knowing that Malo would gently guide him towards the path of light even if Chivah didn't realize it.  Pip knew in his heart that Chivah had great potential, the scars from the past would be no iron bars to the true nature of his heart.  He would be a hero someday, though he knew it not now.

Pip said a quick prayer for his friends, old and new, and continued on his way to the forge.

(ooc: hope I'm not hijacking your thread Malo)

I sit here, dirty and cold. My only company are the scriptural scrolls that I cannot yet read, as well as the occational rat who comes to visit me Yet despite these prison walls that seek to dampen my spirts, I have a fortress of peace within me. I could not before understand how someone like a wizard could speak and act like a priest, or how two fiercesome warriors of the frontier could have such soothing serenty and unconditional love.. But thanks to this strange Malohaut, I came to kow the strength and source of all this inner power. I learned and changed my alliengence to the mighty and powerful king, Jesus Christ. And now, I have a strength within me that I have not had since a little child.
My armor, weapons, and possessions are all gone, taken from me by the castle guards, and as such, I am serving my prison sentence for my crimes as a bandit. I know not the length of my sentence, but Malohaut assures me that good behavior as well as community service as weaponsmith apprentice will significantly shorten my sentence. Now, my apprenticeship and my schooling keep me busy sometimes, but my days sure do become lonely. Aside from Malo, I seem to have no family or friends, and as such, get no visitors. But maybe oneday, somebody will visit me, but until then, I at least have my prayers.

So Malo had come through.  That old head had finally managed to draw out some of that courage he knew resided deep within Chivah's heart.  Pip smiled as he strode in through the North Gates.  He had gotten a letter from Malo, something about some home cooked goodies for his little friend residing in the dungeon.  He wasn't much of a chef, but he knew of a place in Ludlow that sold some scrumptious meat pies which he had just picked up.  He also stopped by the bookstore on the way to the castle and picked up some more scrolls, Psalms and the whole of Paul's letters seemed like they could be an encouragement.

Pip peered in through the iron bars and saw Chivah reading on his straw mat by candle light.

"Hey friend," he said to the little one, "I've got some dinner fer ya."

They talked for a while, remembering some of the funny things Malo would say, he was always a little random, but always encouraging as well.  As the evening drew on, Pip arose from the floor outside the cell saying, "I've gotta go Chivah, 'twas good to see you."  He handed him the Psalms and Paul's letters and turned to depart.  Pausing at the door he turned around and said, "Be strong, take heart, the Lord is with you always.  There is no wall too thick, no dungoen too deep, no distance too long that the Lord is not right by your side."  With that he disappeared up the stairs.

The door to the dungeon slowly creaked open, catching Chivah's attention. He looked up from his lonly corner as a large, shadowy silouette stepped through the doorway. Being it night time, there wasn't much light in the cell, and the intruder remained faceless for the moment, shrouded in dark. Like a trapped animal, the frightened prisoner got on his feet with fists at ready. "WHO ARE YOU??" He yelled into the darkness. "WHAT DO YOU WANT??" Chivah was partially hoping his raised voice would attract the attention of any possible assistance, but such would not happen.
The stranger took a single step towards Chivah, but still said nothing. There was a dramatic pause as both parties just stared at each other. Suddenly, there was a rush of air accompanied by a whistle and a blur as one end of the quarterstaff came singing towards Chivah's nose. But fortunatly, he dodged his head to the side, and the weapon missed by centimeters. The weapon withdrew and relashed at lightning speed only to miss the ducking head. Chivah dropped and rolled towards the open door and lept out of the cell with his attacker in hot pursuit. The cell guards were there, but they had been knocked unconscious and were of no current help. The friar stepped out into the corridor, his face more clearly visible. It was not the good Philippi that that so kindly visited earlier, it was someone darker, meaner, and more spiteful it seemed. And he was not alone, for also in the corridor stood a 2nd friar accompanied by an armsman and a wizard. Chivah was trapped between them!

Chivah quickly reached down and grabbed one of the guard's swords before putting his back against the wall. The head friar guffawed. "What yew think yew gonna do wid dat?" he asked. "We's uh gonna kills yas so yew kaint talk about us."
Chivah recognized this man as Chad, one of the Bandit's lieutenants, but what was there to tell? It was a bunch of disorganized brutes who kept losing their members to the realm's heros. "Back off Chad! I've given that life up and I prefer to forget it."
"Duh only thing yews uh gonna give up is your own life peck!" Chad took a menacing step before a hearing a voice from behind.
"Looking for trouble gentlemen?" out of the shadows stepped Owoen, weapon in hand.
"Well you've certainly found it." came a voice in the other direction, and out stepped Semeris.
"I dun have time to deal wid yews! Kell em!"

Owoen withdrew his weapon, but stop as a block of ice covered his body, keeping him still. Semeris turned and raced towards the wizard, but he too became frozen. The wizard chuckled at his feat as Chad's two cohorts closed in on them.

Out of nowhere came an arrow whistling from the darkness, as it struck the wizard in the shoulder. A mighty blur lept from the shadows and tackled the caster to the ground. Arttemis withdrew his saber and held it up to the wizard's throat. "Don't move or it will be YOUR life that will be lost today."

The armsman turned to try and help, but soon found himself parrying off Semeris, who had freed himself from the root. The friar too was a bit occupied trying to keep Owoen at bay. Chad became angry and twirled his staff around for the attack, but had to stop as Chivah charged angrily with sword in hand. The friar/bandit swung around and deflected the incoming blade, swinging back for a strike, but missed. Moving to one side, Chad dodged a fist, and just as quickly he moved to the other side and dodged the blade. He seemed to be slightly more skilled and soon had Chivah disarmed and knocked to the ground. Chad spun around and deflected Owoen's blow, then twisted to deflect Semeris's blow, and ducked to avoid Arttemis's arrow. But as Chad was bending down to avoid the arrow, Chivah's fist was shooting up; and fist and chin met with fierce collision. Chad was knocked out and was soon on the ground along with his companions.

"Are you alright?" asked Semeris as he lowered his hand to help Chivah up.
"I am now. How did you know I was in trouble?"

Owoen kicked the wizard, who was out like a light. "We were just traveling through camelot when we heard the commotion in the dungeon. We were going to ask the guards what was going on, but when we noticed that they were out cold, we charged in."

Arttemis helped the dungeon guards to their feet as they were beginning to awaken and it wasn't long before the situation was explained to them and the 4 bandits were behind bars.

Soon after, Chivah's prison sentence was suspended in exchange for his knowledge of the bandits. And the three warriors, Arttemis, Semeris, and Owoen were given medals for their selfless heroism. It was a great day in Camelot.

Rachelina sighed as she continued packing a few things in her satchel. It had only been 2 days since her father had died.The grief was still overwhelming as she thought of what was before her. Never had she gone far from the home her father had raised her in and now she was to embark on the greatest journey of her life. She was about to go in search of a brother she had only heard stories of and cries for in her fathers dreams.

She knew not whether her brother was alive or dead but swore to her father upon his death that she would search for him till she knew his fate or embraced him in her arms. Chivah was his name. A brother less then 6 years older then she. Rachelina never got to meet her brother or her mother. Her brother was lost when her mother was mortally wounded by the mids. A friar managed to convince her father to  to move to safety during the battle. He tried to save both mother and baby but the  poison had gone to far from the arrow. It was believed Chivah had been taken by the mids.

Rachelina shuddered as she thought of the possibilities of what had been done to him. she walked to the stable and mounted her horse, Hope. What a befitting name she thought. She was riding on a hope of finding her brother. She would not even had had this hope had it not been for the recent attack of bandits on her town. One of the defenders had managed to kill  one of the invading bandits. In the pocket of the bandit was discovered a  small locket of silver. The latch had been sprung revealing a picture of Rachelina's parents with a small child. The locket had been given to Chivah on his fifth birthday. Rachelina said a prayer as she tucked the locket into her pocket and headed towards Camelot City.

Night had fallen and Rachelina found a small cove under some trees to camp for the night. She fed Hope some oats then unrolled her blanket upon the ground. She had just reached into her satchel to pull out some rolls she had baked the day before when she heard a noise behind her.

She turned quickly a bit startled. Before her stood a scruffy looking man. In the distance Rachelina could see a few more men watching and waiting. She knew she was outnumbered if these men meant harm. The man smiled with a crooked smile eyeing Rachelina greedily. "Hey boys" Yelled the man before her. "Tis just a girl with a horse. Get on over here!" Rachelina began to feel really nervous as she saw the men approach and braced herself to run. "Now, now, little girl. We ain't meanin ya no harm. Just wonder'in what ya be doing out here by yer'self tis all."

Mentally scolding herself for camping away from the main path Rachelina tried to think quickly on how to get out of the situation she was in, but before she had time to get her thoughts together one of the men lunged at her trying to grab at her. She screamed and ran back towards where she thought the path had been. She got enough distance between herself and her pursuers and began to pray for heavenly assistance.

Out of the ground arose protective beings made of earth who began beating back the men who had pursued her. This gave her enough time to escape. Or so she had believed. In the distance Rachelina saw what she assumed was the home of a small family.

She ran as quickly as her legs would carry her. "Surely whatever  mily lives there will help me" She thought to herself. She climbed the steps and began to knock on the door. "Help!" she yelled. "There are bandits after me!" The door was  quickly opened but to Rachelina's surprise a band of bandits came flooding out the door and dragged her into the house laughing and bantering the whole time. Needless to say Rachelina was terrified. "Leave me be!" she yelled "I have no gold or valueables!"

The bandits laughed as they pulled her cloak away from her and began to search its pockets. Chivah's locket fell out of the cloak pocket and bounced onto the floor landing near the feet of the man who appeared to lead the rogish band. Snickering he bent to pick up the locket. "What we have here?" he grinned as he picked up the locket. As he examined the locket a look of familiarity came over his face. Grabbing Rachelina  he began to bellow "Where did ye get this?!"

Feeling pain shoot up her arm from the brutes grasp Rachelina cried out. "It belongs to my brother!" A look of confusion came over the bandits face. "Your brother? Who is your brother?" "His name is Chivah." replied Rachelina pleadingly "Now please give me back the locket its all I have of my family." At first the bandit looked confused but then an evil grin spread across his face. "Ah!" he said. "This is that locket that Daryl got off that chump when we first found him! The very same one who sent my brother Chad to jail!"

Rachelina could not believe what she was hearing. The fear suddenly subsided as she realized this man was speaking of her brother. "My brother? Chivah? You know of him? Please I beg you tell me where he is and what you know of him!" The bandit cackled. "Chivah the cowardly bandit! Hah! We almost had to pick the pockets for him." The man let go of Rachelina's arm and stood towering over her. "Your brother, lass, was a turncoat and will pay. He is the reason my brother is in jail." The bandit looked at Rachelina thoughtfully.

In tears Rachelina burst out at the bandit "You are a liar! My brother was raised in a good and noble family! There is no way he would be a bandit like the likes of you! Tell me where he is!" The bandit grinned and ordered his band to prepare to move out. "Tie her up and gag her. We be taking her with us!" Snickering at Rachelina the bandit grinned at her and said "Don't worry lass. If this boy be as noble as you'd like to believe you'll be seeing him soon!"....

It was a wonderful church service as usual. Pastor Gyllis had delivered another message straight from God like he did every week. Chivah felt refreshed but still hungry for more of God's word. He decided to spend some time by the fire reading God's word and studying more of what Malohaut and Philippi had shared with him.

Just as he sat down and opened the pages of his Bible he heard a loud howl and a hard thump on his door. Praying for safety he grabbed his sword and ran to see what it was. All seemed suddenly quiet. The intruder had left. He opened the door to step out and be sure. Sticking in the door was a large dagger with a chain hanging from the hilt and a note attached. Chivah removed the weapon and read the note :

Thought ye be wanten ta know. We caught ourselves a pwerty lass last nite who claims to be yer' long lost sister. My eyes may be no good but she sure an looks like that women there in yer ol locket. Might wanna come find her and check it out...and if ye don't well..I'm sure ye can remember what we  do to riff raff who don't give us their gold? An just so you know...we ain't tellin ya where we is..you hav'ta come an find us yerself..you should know the places we be at.

Yer Ol' Pal
                                        Hairn aka Chad's big brother!

Chivah opened the locket revealing the old picture of him with his parents.....

(OOC- This would be an awesome low level quest 5-22 or even just a quest for the fun of it. Rachelina will be at a bandit camp or tomb raider camp anywheres between camelot hills and salisbury plains...perhaps Chivah will get a band of loyal friends together to go find her?)

Re:Chivah's Adventures
« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:32:04pm »

nice stories!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sofirth Everwrath- 50 wizard
Ybord Windchaser- 50 theurgist
Ybrod - 35 minstrel
Ysheys - 35 infil
Kiane - 24 scout

The hammer swung through the air and hit the steel with such a force that sparks actually flew. Chivah smiled. He brought back his hammer and sent it forth again hard. This was the final blow to seal the deal, for at last, the blade was completed and he quickly immersed it in the dirty water to cool it off. All that was left now was to join handle and blade, for this very weapon would be the liberator of his sister! Assuming that he really had a sister and that this wasn't some sort of cruel trick to bring him out into the open. The locket was certainly real, for Chivah had etched his in its side so long ago. But even the validity of the locket wasn't enough because the inside drawing was only of 3 people: mother, father, and son. No daughter. But there was a kind of spiritual confirmation, a sense if you will about the validity of these claims. He had to go out and find the truth.
From his crafting earnings, Chivah purchased a fully alloy studded suit and an alloy shield. His blade was only steel, but it was made with special care for this very purpose and he joined it tenderly with his battle ensemble. The local merchants knew he was up to something, and whatever it was, he would not reveal. Seraluna, the tailor, even noticed Chivah, and created a cloak for his travels. "This is for you m'lord." she said to him. He donned the cloak, bowed, and placed a gentle kiss upon her hand. "Thank you m'lady, for this small gift is most appreciated." He waved goodbye to her as well as all the other merchants before embarking on his mission.
For the first time in months, the young Paladin took his first steps outside of the legendary castle. The sky was clear and warm, and a cool breeze off the nearby river washed over him. But such beauty could not distract Chivah from his task as he marched his way past Cotswold into the forest.

OOC: Stay tuned folks. I'll be soon posting up a recruitment poster to ask for help in assisting me in my quest. My sister needs our help, so keep your eyes open.

"Excuse me sir, but can you spare a few coins?" asked the British fighter, but he got no reply as the young Paladin continued his march right past him. The fighter became angry, and opened his mouth to expel a few nasty words, but he was silenced. There at his feet were some coins of gold, and he greedily snatched them up and ran off to beg some more. Chivah did not mind being a few coins lighter, for it was not his primary concern. He had been challenged, and he sought to answer that call, bluff or not.
Another pair of beggars came up, but these two bandits were armed. They appeared to be extremely young, one 16, the other 14, and as such, were of no consequence to Chivah. "Give us your gold or give us your life!" shouted one. "What the heck! Let's take both!" nodded the other. The youngest of the two charged with dagger drawn, but his face came in sudden contact with a large metal shield, which sent him flying. The other yelled angrily and jabbed his dagger forward, yet it was quickly knocked from his hand by the swinging broadsword. Chivah came back with his sword hand's fist squarely on the youth's jaw, knocking him downward as well. The Paladin marched on, leaving the two sprawled youths dazed.
At last, his journey had ended, yet his quest had only begun. There in the distance was Hairn, as well as a young bandit girl he seemed to be training. "Hairn!" yelled Chivah. "Hairn! Over here you maggoty worm-ridden filth!" The lieutenant smiled, for his chance had finally come. He whispered something to the girl who ran off while Chivah approached. The two stopped, a fair distance from each other, yet within speaking range.
"So. The prodigal bandit has returned eh?"
"Alright Hairn. Enough cow manure! What's this about a sister?"
"Now now now. Is that any way to greet an old friend?"
"Friend?? You had me killing, and stealing, and hurting so many innocent people!"
"Yes! Yes I did. And didn't it feel wonderful! We are the hunters! And the world is our prey!"
"You are a sad, strange little man. But I didn't come out here to banter with a witless worm. Do you have her or not."
"Oooh. Big words punk. Yeah, I got a lass. She found your locket off of one of my better students and she claims that drawing inside were of her parents. I thought that might interest you."
"Where is she?" Chivah drew his sword. "Where is she or I will have to find her myself."
"I promise to tell you where she is, but I have to do something first."
"Oh? What's that?"
"Why kill you of course." with that, the bandit Lieutenant drew his sword and charged with angered speed. Chivah could not fend off the lightning attack quickly enough, and blood was draw upon his cheek. Hairn's next blow was just as fast, but bounced harmlessly off the shield. It was Chivah's turn as he used his momentum to smash his shield upon the bandit. He spun around to parry another attack while scraping a wound across the bandit's chest. It was a small victory, but at a price as the enemy blade pierced his left shoulder deeply, causing him to drop his shield and hollar in pain. Face to face, Hairn smiled as he forced the blade deeper. In a beserker howl, Chivah slammed his head against his foe's knocking the two apart in dazing pain. Falling backwards, Hairn grasped his sword tightly as it withdrew from his enemy. The bandit lept up for another attack, but was repeled by a knee to the gonads. Chivah swung hard, cleaving the bandit's weapon in two, and then swung back to slice into the sword arm. The Paladin send his foot hard into Hairn's stomach, sending him downward. Wheezing and cradling his shoulder, Hairn looked up and spat. "Finish me you worthless brat!" Chivah kicked him in the face and then send the blade of his sword downward, plowing deep into its target. If the dirt had feelings, it would cry out in pain, for the blade had missed the injurded bandit by inches. "I'm not like you! I'm better than you!" yelled Chivah as he kneeled on his foe's chest with his blade positioned to finish the job if need be. "Now tell me where my sister is."
A distant commotion caused the paladin to look up as he saw a group of about 12 bandits racing towards him. This distraction was enough to take a fist to his injured shoulder and a foot to his stomach, catching him off-balance and allowing Hairn to wriggle free. The bandit got up and raced away towards his incoming help. 1, 2, maybe 3 he could handle, but certainly not 12! In a yell of both pain and aggrivation, Chivah quickly sheathed his sword, grabbed his shield, and sprinted away, but he was not fast enough as the bandits began to catch him. "The Lord is my strength. He is like air. He is like water. The Lord is my strength. He is like air. He is like water." Chivah's chant continued as the bandits finally reached him, with blades swinging. In a few seconds, they would overtake him, and tear him to pieces, but with renewed endurance, Chivah's speed increased, and he sped away to the nearby guard tower.

. . . . .

*tink* *tink* *tink* *tink* *tink* *tink* Chivah's hammer fell softly upon the last nail until it was finally in place. Stepping back, he reviewed his notice:

WANTED: YOUNG ADVENTURERS - WILL PAY

Need a few good people to assist me in the freeing of my sister. This will be a dangerous task and a test of your very skills, but it will not be without reward. If interested, place all inquiries on Chivah, who can be found at the old forge.

Chivah nodded with a smile, yet also with a tear. He would soon find her, and free her. But for now, she was in God's hands. The young Paladin walked out of the guild hall, and headed towards the cathedral, for he felt the need to pray.

Back