Call of Duty 4 & World At War: Day 1

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I fired up the WaW beta (after having to install the latest version of DirectX to fix a startup error) and played it for about 10 minutes. Aside from lower frame rate and slightly improved graphics, I didn't immediately notice anything that would inspire a Call of Duty 4 player to shell out another $50 or $60 to buy the next iteration.

Of course, I only played Call of Duty 4 for the first time today, so my opinions don't carry much weight.

Also keep in mind that I tend to favor unrealistic first-person shooters (Team Fortress 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake 3, Quake 2, Doom II, etc.) over realistic shooters (Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Battlefield 1942, etc.). Identifying the enemy and spotting projectiles is typically far easier in a game like TF2 or UT2004 than in a realistic shooter.

I'm reserving judgment until I play Call of Duty 4 on the Tribe of Judah server with other members, but, based on my one hour of playing Call of Duty 4 & World At War today, I don't think it will pull me away from TF2 too often.

That being said, I can understand why Call of Duty 4 is one of the most popular first-person shooters right now and why World At War will very likely be a huge hit. Both games have excellent graphics, solid controls, an active player base, and a wonderfully fast pace. I plan to play through the single-player campaign in Call of Duty 4 starting this weekend and hope to meet up with other ToJ members on our new CoD4 server soon.

I fired up the WaW beta (after having to install the latest version of DirectX to fix a startup error) and played it for about 10 minutes. Aside from lower frame rate and slightly improved graphics, I didn't immediately notice anything that would inspire a Call of Duty 4 player to shell out another $50 or $60 to buy the next iteration.

Of course, I only played Call of Duty 4 for the first time today, so my opinions don't carry much weight.

Also keep in mind that I tend to favor unrealistic first-person shooters (Team Fortress 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake 3, Quake 2, Doom II, etc.) over realistic shooters (Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Battlefield 1942, etc.). Identifying the enemy and spotting projectiles is typically far easier in a game like TF2 or UT2004 than in a realistic shooter.

I'm reserving judgment until I play Call of Duty 4 on the Tribe of Judah server with other members, but, based on my one hour of playing Call of Duty 4 & World At War today, I don't think it will pull me away from TF2 too often.

That being said, I can understand why Call of Duty 4 is one of the most popular first-person shooters right now and why World At War will very likely be a huge hit. Both games have excellent graphics, solid controls, an active player base, and a wonderfully fast pace. I plan to play through the single-player campaign in Call of Duty 4 starting this weekend and hope to meet up with other ToJ members on our new CoD4 server soon.

I can understand your initial review. When I first got CoD4 I hated it. Many of the public servers are nothing but a bunch of spawn camping. It was hard to get used to the gameplay at first coming off UT2004 and UT3. Now I really enjoy it, especially on our server with our rules. Shooting Private Pirate(BlackBeard) helps make almost any game enjoyable :p.

Last edited:
I know a lot of the CCGR's that played the WaW demo on the 360 gave it up from way too much swearing. The official forums were asking for a language filter too. :p I'm still waiting for Fileplanet to download it... >_>

I know a lot of the CCGR's that played the WaW demo on the 360 gave it up from way too much swearing. The official forums were asking for a language filter too. :p I'm still waiting for Fileplanet to download it... >_>

We have a language filter on our CoD4:mw server called morkeye. I'm sure it won't be long before it gets adapted for CoD5:waw. Since it works thru punkbuster it might work already considering both cod4 and cod5 are built on the same engine.

After playing CoD4 it's taking a bit to get used to the WWII guns. All in all I find it fun, and some maps even have a tank or 2 you can drive :D.

I don't see it replacing our CoD4 server, but since UT is closing we should have revenue for both a CoD4 and CoD5 server as long as there is demand for it and peeps keep donating to ToJ :D.

Last edited:
We have a language filter on our CoD4:mw server called morkeye. I'm sure it won't be long before it gets adapted for CoD5:waw. Since it works thru punkbuster it might work already considering both cod4 and cod5 are built on the same engine.

Looked last night and Morkeye chat filter is already mostly coded and should be available before the games official release :).

Actually Tek, I think spotting the enemy in World at War[at least on the 360 since I STILL don't have mt pc key] is easier than cod 4, I really enjoy the Single player of Modern Warfare, it is challenging and helps prepare you for the multiplayer. Play online even if no ones there to get used to the map layouts, and as you play with others you will see really good spots and as always playing is more fun with others. some in game Rank update: since Captain Tea's post about PWNing Private Blackbeard, our friendly Captain has been promoted to Major and the Private is now a Captain, lol we try to play daily on our server during Captain Tea's lunchbreak and if others are on I usually stay and play longer. Remember that I have Xfire on while online so if you want to play give me a shout :)

I keep getting server errors even though I updated Punkbuster. So far, not impressed. Feels like a COD4 WW2 mod. :/ I'll try it a bit later on.

In the Options/Game Options you can enable or disable Mature content :D

Been playing for about 3 hours, enjoying more now. :) Only the Marines cuss a lot it seems. The Thompson is pretty cool though with a upgraded scope ^_^.

One thing to keep in mind is this is a beta not a demo. The final game should play much better. If you have issues, problems or suggestions with the beta you should report them here

I just played two rounds on the Tribe of Judah server and have to admit I'm still not excited about Call of Duty 4.

During the first round, I kept getting mowed down by helicopters any time I ventured outside. Is that part of the map, or is that a special ability available to higher-ranked players?

During the second round, one of the players moved between two areas (that I saw), camped at one, scored a few kills, moved to the other, camped there, scored a few more kills. Rinse and repeat. He also immediately dropped to the ground when I finally managed to open fire on him first and killed me in one or two shots. "Hitting the deck" when someone opens fire may be a valid tactic, but it was annoying in an impromptu duel.

It seems that Call of Duty 4, intentionally or otherwise, is meant to reward those who play it more often and punish those who don't play it "enough" by unlocking more powerful abilities for players who have climbed through the ranks. In theory, it's a good idea: Unlock content as players progress, ensuring new experiences over an extended periods of time to keep the player interested. In practice, it's terrible for new players like myself. I'm getting gunned down by helicopters and one- or two-shot kill weapons, sometimes without any warning, only to respawn and get mowed down a minute later. If a player sticks it out, they'll be rewarded with bigger, more powerful guns--but that assumes the player will have the patience to continue getting mowed down round after round.

The "I was just instantly killed by a player I never saw" complaint is one I level against all realistic shooters (and Counter-Strike was the worst offender), which is I why I tend to stick to the Unreal Tournament and Team Fortress series of games. It's just a personal preference, so pay no heed to my rant.

Hey, at least I don't have to wait to respawn.

What can't be argued is how popular CoD4 is. The first time I refreshed my server list, I pinged over 16,000 servers. Impressive.

The Helecoptors you get after a 5 or 6 kill streak, 3 will get you a Radar for your team. The weapons you start with are not the best so you have to find out which ones are the better, and switch weapons with ones laying next to a body[ use the F key to switch] this will also allow you to carry 2 machine guns and as you Rank up or complete challenges[things to do with each weapon] then you will get better weapons/Perks/ Camo and Attachments. I started with the M16 or the M249 is also very good, and if you bump into each other a normal tactic is to go full auto, but the one who stays calm and uses a 1 to 3 round burst will normally win, there are a few tactical types in this game, the one who runs and guns, continually moving the Stay put and permanantly camp[usually a sniper] and then My style, which has been getting you, Camp shortly and if you fire move, camp, kill, move then repeat. a big help is knowing the maps, many have hiding places that are hard to see and camo helps them hide, maybe we can play sometime soon, and input the console commands I posted they do work:)

Last edited:
My older brother is picking me up COD4 sometime this week (maybe today?) since he loved the gameplay of the WaW Beta. The beta is fun, but I really prefer the brighter maps (Castle is my favorite beta map) and modern-tech weapons of COD4. I'm not a fan of the streaks in WaW (Art's slow, Dogs are rather easy to mow down), and I've played too much COD1/UO/COD2 to really wanna play anymore WW2 shooters. But boy, the gameplay is extremely fun.

@Tek: Yeah, it was frustrating when I first started playing. And I had to deal with aimbotters. Main tactics I use is sprinting from cover to cover, aiming down the sights for accuracy (ALWAYS saves my butt, unless it's a big gun or shotty) and crouching (and knifing :p). And glance at your radar every now and then, people will usually give themselves away if they're shooting. And if you see a guy run behind a wall, pop off a few rounds. When you see them hit, burst a few more for a kill. That's the fastest way I leveled up in rank, was hitting them through their cover. And the better weapons aren't always unlocked as you level up, I still used the level 10 or so gear in WaW (Thompson with a suppressor) and like the level 14 gear in COD4.

Some perks that may help you would be Juggernaut (so those 1-2 hits become 5 to kill ya), UAV Jammer/Weapon Suppressor upgrade (which I use a lot when playing like a ninja, they can't shoot you if you sprint behind them before pressing V :p), Deep Impact (for those campers that hide in a window, fire in their general direction to make them rethink their tactics) and finding a weapon load out that suits your play style. Starting off, it took me a few hours to even stay with a weapon I liked. I had three classes to choose from depending on the map. So stick with it, read some guides online, and you'll be the one calling Helicopters in no time. :p

Last edited:
Back