Building my first rig

Enok

I'm very excited. Finally got enough saved up to buy all the parts for a new computer. They're due to arrive accross this week.

I've been playing on an overheating laptop slightly below minimum specs, which has worked out okay, except for in big zerg events like WvW and dragon fights where it looks like a slide show.

So I'm building for the first time. Excited, and a bit nervous, though it looks simple enough when watching videos/reading guides. Can't wait to see how the game looks with an i5 and 7870. I'm looking forward to taking my condition specced Mesmer back into WvW.

Anyone have any tips for a newbie putting together his first rig?

For starters:
Static safety and lulz

MegaTokyo link aside, it really is pretty simple. You probably already know everything you need to know from those vids and guides.

Congrats on new hardware and good luck! :D

Or just use a grounding wrist strap. I have several lying around the house at any given time :)

Take your time. Make sure all connections are properly seated prior to turning it on for the first time. Troubleshooting for a first-timer is not enjoyable. Use tie wraps to group cables together while also increasing air flow. Make sure when you install the fans, face them in the right direction.

Good luck and let us know how it goes :)

I'm very excited. Finally got enough saved up to buy all the parts for a new computer. They're due to arrive accross this week.

I've been playing on an overheating laptop slightly below minimum specs, which has worked out okay, except for in big zerg events like WvW and dragon fights where it looks like a slide show.

So I'm building for the first time. Excited, and a bit nervous, though it looks simple enough when watching videos/reading guides. Can't wait to see how the game looks with an i5 and 7870. I'm looking forward to taking my condition specced Mesmer back into WvW.

Anyone have any tips for a newbie putting together his first rig?

I went budget (or as close to cheap as possible lol)
I bought the following parts and can run high settings even in WvW or any extreme combat situations;
AM3 socket Motherboard
Athlon II 3.2GHz triple Core Processor
8GB of RAM
630 Watt Power Supply with glowing LED Blue 120mm fan
2 case cooling fans
cost around $350-ish including a $50 tower i bought to tear down and rebuild

Parts donated/given to me;
20" LED HD monitor (spoiled by my wife)
XFX GeForce 8800 GT (Thanks to B.Simpson from CGA)
3 color LED Backlit USB Keyboard red,blue or purple (My Dad)
Wireless Mouse (My Dad)

My Windows 8 Preview is due to run out on Jan 15th and then ill be offline till i can buy a new 64-bit OS lol

This was my first build ever and i used Youtube Videos and CGA friends advice

Yes, yes, static safety is big un. One little spark can blow a board or cpu, buy a static strap and use it without fail. If this is your first build double check every step and check again, it is so easy to forget something, Murphy lurks around the corner waiting for your work to get sloppy. If you are wearing jewelry take it off. When I was refurbishing rigs for give away I would apologize profusely to my better half and take off my wedding ring. Make sure you understand every step clearly before taking it. If you have doubts check as many sources as is rational, anything above 5 gets to be obsessional.:p

Awesome, thanks for the tips!

You all are making me rethink the wrist strap. I was kinda getting the impression from the guides that it wasn't really necessary as long as you make sure to ground yourself before picking up each new part.

I wonder if I could get one in town. I'd hate to have to order one now and wait just for it to arrive.

Proud you guys that decide to do that which needs to be done through REC!! recognition, evaluation, & Control! Get'r done! :) WTG!

Awesome, thanks for the tips!

You all are making me rethink the wrist strap. I was kinda getting the impression from the guides that it wasn't really necessary as long as you make sure to ground yourself before picking up each new part.

I wonder if I could get one in town. I'd hate to have to order one now and wait just for it to arrive.

i didn't use a ground strap or any anti-static devices..i actually did it barefoot and made sure i had non-static type clothing on lol

Back