Build help

Koeril

So I'm about to hit 80 and I'm planning some long term builds - I like to iron out and know what I'm doing. I don't plan to do much sPvP (this might change) , but want to finish up the PvE content, including dungeons on explorable, and also enjoying WvW frequently. I'm pretty sure I want to run with D/D (these for DPS) and Shortbow (this for mobility and ranged as needed).

Here is the build that I've managed to piece together so far: http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fYE...aPoZLhJA;T8Ag0ypEQJlSNlSKKqMUJoyWjjKJVLRGVMBB

The goal is to get and stay in melee range by using steal [gives and steals boons, stealths me for 2 sec, and opens up backstab] use Death Blossom [3 strikes w/ evade during animation, adds 3 stacks of bleeding] to stack on bleeds as my main DPS and then also I have Heartseeker [higher damage when enemy is low health] as a finisher. When the bleeds are on, I may swap to shortbow and get some distance with a couple disabling shots [dodge backwards and apply cripple] or infiltrator's arrow [short range teleport].

This is all well and good, but I really see that it is almost a requirement to have swiftness and my only self swiftness aside from steal comes from having to spend 5 trait points in the Acrobatics line [dodge gives 2s of swiftness]. Unfortunately, this means I need 5 more points somehow which means I need to drop something and my initial thought was to drop panic strike [immobilize for 4 seconds when enemy is at 50% health].

What do you guys think? Is swiftness on command worth the loss of the immobilize? Is swiftness on command that important? Maybe there is a less useful skill to drop?

Last edited:
One thing I think that will help is create a setup for WvW and another for PvE. What you want in each, especially as melee, is completely different. I will go into WvW more because PvE is generally just stacking damage. The most important thing is figuring out what works for your play style, but something you should keep in mind with that especially in WvW is that you are generally talking about larger groups. With being against a group and in melee, you need a way to survive, because as soon as you show yourself in the group most of them will target you down.

This is my build, I am not 80 yet, but I have been able to test most of it so far. I have not really looked at all the runes, jewels, or amulets yet so ignore that page; however, if you are deciding to go with the Superior Rune of the Ranger, I would highly recommend you switch to the Thief one. You already are going for condition damage with other things, and the last bonus is significantly more useful to you.

I do play a lot of the WvW, and do quite well. Besides having the 2 daggers, my main weapons, I also have sword and pistol and a shortbow. I swap the sword and bow out while out of combat and think the usefulness of one is greater than the other. I use the daggers for damage, sword and pistol for stun and daze, and then of course the bow for range, when I have trouble getting close.

If you notice in my build it is developed around surviving. I get extra dodges due to them giving endurance back. Longer stealth times with 1 sec increase stealth and increased Boon duration. While stealthed, I get increased speed, initiative regen and health regen. There are 4 ways for me to stealth, all giving about 5 seconds of stealth and one of the uses initiative. Another 3 ways for me to move around the battle field, with two different shadow steps or heartseeker with the daggers to close distance with something(not always what I am trying to kill). With the build over all, I have high mobility and survivability. I will not jump in and kill a guy out of a group in a couple of seconds; however, it is hard for them to kill me. Normally I kill others and take little damage, because I am moving around too much for them to hit me very much, or I run away and it is very hard for them to catch me.

I would recommend you try multiple builds before you settle on what you like. I can go more in to the specifics of how my build works if you like, but there are a couple of things I have not completely decided on, but how it is played I have down pretty well.

Last edited:
If you are planning to farm high-end PvE regions such as Ruins of Orr, you will probably want all the Toughness you can get. Right now, folks are pretty squishy against NPCs. Its almost to the point of "don't travel alone". When you hit 80, be sure to get good gear right away. Maybe not "exotic" gear, but at least be sure everything is for level 80.

And I'm saying this as an 80 Warrior with Heavy armor and max Toughness. Ruins of Orr is not a cakewalk. If you can, travel with two friends (or follow a zerg around).

Guardian with maxed vitality, toughness, regens, and shields reporting in...and I would really love to have some more of it, even at level 45 content. I'm not sure I have much to offer in the way of build help, other than to suggest coming up with a strategy you like and building around it.

Take this with a grain of salt as my thief has only gone up to 11, but so far I've enjoyed shortbow the most...I've been stacking condition damage while rolling rolling cluster bomb and choking gas along with tripwire to snare and help me kite enemies. Assuming I continue on as I level this guy, I'm planning to add more damage and damage avoidance through skills and traits, and be a ranged supporter. I have NO idea if that will be good or not, but it will be fun for me. :)

As far as runes go, I thought those only applied to sPvP and not WvW so I just threw something in without much thought. They were setup for an old build anyways - ignore them. That is, unless runes DO apply to WvW in which case I need to check out how to set them up and so forth.

The main thrust at the moment with the build is toward WvW because I've been finding the PvE section extremely easy to this point. Death Blossom makes things so simple in fact that you could even just get 3 mobs together, do 3x DB's, then use the ranged dagger that cripples ... then volia no biggie unless they were ranged mobs. I've played a little with WvW, but nothing serious - I should probably make a couple build ideas for them as you suggested.

I'm guessing that the 70-80 area of Orr must be different than the one up North - forgot its name. The one up North, even at 75 doing 78 content wasn't exactly that hard. When I get to 80 (at 79 so it is imminent), I still have 3-4 areas to catch up on because I've gone the Northern route and saved the Southern route with the personal story for later.

The thing that bothers me though about Orr is that Risen are so stinkin' fast and impossible to kite in circles without swiftness (experience based on personal story instances). This is why I imagine that it is more desired to have survivability?

One additional question since I see it in your build, Dimederwin, is how you use Shadow Refuge. People sing its praises all the time, but it seems largely useless to me in PvE. What are the nuances of using that skill?

As far as runes go, I thought those only applied to sPvP and not WvW so I just threw something in without much thought. They were setup for an old build anyways - ignore them. That is, unless runes DO apply to WvW in which case I need to check out how to set them up and so forth.

I am pretty sure those runes apply for everything not just PvP and WvW. wiki

The main thrust at the moment with the build is toward WvW because I've been finding the PvE section extremely easy to this point. Death Blossom makes things so simple in fact that you could even just get 3 mobs together, do 3x DB's, then use the ranged dagger that cripples ... then volia no biggie unless they were ranged mobs. I've played a little with WvW, but nothing serious - I should probably make a couple build ideas for them as you suggested.

I agree the PvE seems really easy, I can take on 5-6 mobs of equal level pretty easily if they are melee. Ranged can become a bit annoying. Veterans are easy to solo, I have never tried an elite on, and champions I have been able to beat with only one other person(that one was not easy and took a while though, especially with other mobs spawning around us). I kind of doubt they will up the difficulty though.

One additional question since I see it in your build, Dimederwin, is how you use Shadow Refuge. People sing its praises all the time, but it seems largely useless to me in PvE. What are the nuances of using that skill?

There are uses in PvE, but I do agree it is more for PvP. It is a ground targeted ability that stealths and heals all friendlies in the targeted area. It is not a one hit stealth either, you remain stealthed until the effect on the area is over or you leave the area. The heal is not that much, but it is a little extra healing for my build. It really is a great ability for WvW.

All the abilities that I have in that build are specifically for PvP, I change some abilities like shadowstep and shadow refuge when I PvE.

Just found out one more thing about shadow refuge, it creates a Dark combo field. Combined with projectile or twirl finishers it creates life stealing effects, so just one more reason to really like the ability.

Back