Bible Study Notes for the 16th

CGamer

Gnome Priest
A Gift For All Seasons
Harris Creek Baptist Church
December 11, 2005

I. Scripture
Acts 3:1-8 says:
Acts 3:1 - 8 1Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour. 2And a certain man lame from his mother’s womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple; 3Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms. 4And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us. 5And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them. 6Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. 7And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.
II. Introduction
As we go into this Christmas season, we buy presents, give presents, and hope we give someone what they truly want. We hope they like what we give them or there not disappointed, but really that’s not the point of Christmas. The gifts we give or receive are only temporary. They wear out or break, clothes shrink or we get bigger, toys we wanted so badly don’t seem as wonderful anymore. But, maybe everybody gets everything they wanted for Christmas, and oh it’s so wonderful, laughing, sharing, eating, with our families.
Gifts and presents are great but that’s not what makes Christmas. What if you didn’t get that special toy or you couldn’t get that someone special that beautiful gift they wanted? Would you still be able to have a joyous Christmas even without the gifts and presents? I believe we can, more importantly I know we can, because the Bible says we can…

III. Silver And Gold
There’s a song Burl Ives sings called Silver and Gold, it says everyone wishes for silver and gold. Silver and Gold though only brings temporary satisfaction. This lame man I imagine sat at the Beautiful Gate everyday asking for alms, just a little money to last him that day. Every day he came back, “Alms” “Alms” “Alms for the needy”. He had to keep coming back though because they ran out. Let’s read again verses 4-6;

Acts 3:4-6 says:
4And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us. 5And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them. 6Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Peter gave this man something so much more valuable then the silver and gold he expected, even more valuable then the ability to walk. Peter shared with this man Jesus, a gift priceless and more valuable then all the riches of this world. No monetary value can be placed upon the gift of Jesus. What a great and precious gift it is to receive, and not only to receive but share with everyone. Angels announced this gift to the world in Luke.

Luke 2:8-11 says:
Luke 2:8 - 11 8And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. 10And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
A Saviour which is Christ the Lord, what a great gift to receive and what a great gift to give. Some of you hear may not have a lot of money to give extravagant gifts, but Jesus is the most valuable gift we can. If you have family near you cherish those loved ones, some of us may not have family to be with during this time of year. You know what though, if you’re a Christian, you have been adopted into the family of God, joint-heirs it even says with Christ and you received a great family too, because we all have become Brothers & Sisters in Christ.

If what you value during this time of year is the hope of what gifts you might receive then you’re missing the true reason for Christmas. It’s not about what we give or get, but what we’ve already been given, the greatest gift of all Christ himself.

Have you received that gift today, and if not what’s stopping you from receiving it. It’s free right here for you to take.

Back