August 28, 2007 - Be 'Un-conformed'

Durruck

Pirate!
Be ‘Un-conformed’
By Jon Walker

“Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.” (Romans 12:2 HCSB)

Slowly read through this devotional as a prayer to God –

Lord, help me and guide me so I am no longer conformed to this age. Move me in such a way, Lord, that I can un-conform to anything that is not a part of you or pleasing to you.

Wash my mind with your spirit and wisdom. Renew my mind so I am transformed by your power – and not my limited ability to will it so. Develop my ability to discern your will – and energize me to do the things that will please you.

Father, I pray this prayer for my family – that we will no longer be so well-adjusted to our culture that we fit into it without even thinking (Romans 12:2 MSG). We want to be God-adjusted within the culture as a whole and also God-adjusted within the culture of our home, neighborhood, and community.

Lord, compel us to fix our attention on you, our God, the Holy One of Israel. Change us from the inside out. Help us to readily recognize what you want from us, so we can quickly respond to your command. Help us to drop any weapons of the flesh that we hold in our hands; instead picking up and wielding the weapons of the Spirit that you so wisely supply. Develop us into well-formed, mature Christians – sons and daughters of the King – fathers and mothers of the faith.

So what does this mean?

· God is in the details – Oswald Chambers writes, “We can all see God in exceptional things, but it requires the growth of spiritual discipline to see God in every detail. Never believe that the so-called random events of life are anything less than God’s appointed order. Be ready to discover his divine designs anywhere and everywhere.”

· Life circumstances – Where is God in the circumstances and details of your life?

· See God’s hand – Looking back over this past year, can you see God’s hand in your life where you could not see it before?

· Be ‘un-conformed’ – What area in your life needs to be “un-conformed” from the ways of the world?

© 2007 Jon Walker. All rights reserved.

The above content is provided in its entirety from purposedrivenlife.com and used with the full permission of the website. Additional archives of the Purpose Driven Life devotionals can be found in their archive.

Back