Armor?

Captain_Tea

I am getting ready to get some 50 armor in Ascalon City from Corwin. Is there any real difference, other than appearance? If so, what kind of armor would you deem best for me, the Charr hyde, Gladiator, or Ascalon?

Last edited:
I am female Warrior main character. I always went with the Charr dyed red- so it was like I ripped it off their bodies /roar

But, it's personal preference. Look around at whose wearing the armor's and see if you like it. Looks so different on than the pics wiki shows.

You'll have fun mixing and matching armor styles, too. Have fun!

There's no difference other than appearance, except sometimes the headpiece. The headpiece is the only piece of armor with variable bonuses, so you should keep an eye out for them.

I'm assuming you're a warrior then? It's a good idea to get a headpiece that has a bonus to the attribute of the weapon you're using.

Also, you don't have to buy armor as a whole set, you could have a Gladiator chestpiece and Ascalon boots. If you don't mind what it looks like, then pick one with cheaper materials.

Yeah - what Kyrel and Jeffrey said. Get the highest armor you can get - and keep doing that until you get to max - I think it is 80 for a warrior. You can always salvage any runes or insignia along the way. Don't worry about how it looks right now. Later you will want to get elite armor anyway. That's where you pay a premium for good looking.

There used to be a difference in the armors. Gladiator used to give more energy and Plate gave decreased damage, but now they are all the same. The insignias give you the different armor benefits, so until you have the money for what you really want get the cheapest with the highest base armor level (AL).

One thing to think about and consider is that when salvaging runes and insignia for next step up armour, the armour piece my break. What I do is only put Runes and not insignia on my lower level armour, that way if I break it while salvaging I don't lose an expensive insignia. If you do have both on there, ALWAYS, salvage the most expensive rune or insignia first. Another thing, later on when deciding between standard max armour, and Elite armour ask yourself is it really necessary to pay the gold for the look? Max armour can be had for 5 platinum plus materials, Elite starts around 25 platinum plus materials. Again maybe mix and match, some Elite, some standard. Pics in wiki help some too.

I'd never risk losing a good rune or insignia - Perfect Salvage Kit is worth the price to not have the worry.

I would emphasize, that you're going to get more and better armor, so don't sweat it too much. Go with what is fun and best matches the "character" of your character.

Also, if color matters to you, it's worth checking on GuildWiki (link below) to see in advance how things look once you've dyed them.

When I came along I wasn't in a guild. You have the advantage of a Guild Hall, where there are vendors who can sell you materials, dyes, and runes... all in one place. (Also if you need materials, I'm sure any of us in your guild would be happy to make you some fair trades.)

Have fun with it, and check out some of the cool armor that lies in your future... I had a great time working toward different sets of armor, especially for the War who makes everything look cool.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warrior_armor

Here's another link to a different wiki where you can browse thru Warrior armors. I prefer this one to the Official wiki.

http://www.guildwiki.org/Warrior_armor

That page will show all the different "looks" that are available for Warriors. Not all of those armors will be available to you yet, but you can browse them and pick out the one you like the best and set as a long term goal to obtain that set. Some are cheap and others are very expensive. Usually I just pick out the one i like without looking at the price tag and fortunately for me, I tend to prefer the cheap sets.

Back