Ah the sweet smell of everything crashing down upon me.

I'm feeling rather sarcastic today so in order to avoid being outright rude and un-Christian I'll cut to the chase...

Current things going on:

Approaching the end of the 6 week grading period and semester... which is tomorrow.

Got rejected from Rice University, the only college I wanted to go to

Lost a $120 calculator and thus will have difficulties completing the 8 math assignments that have been due throughout the past two weeks

Failed to complete an essay and research for another essay in history

Failing to complete a 4,000 word essay due tomorrow (which is probably not going to get finished)

Set my alarm to 6:30... pm. Woke up when mom called at 7:30am (she's in Dallas), which was 15 minutes before my first class began (keep in mind that it takes me a minimum 18 minutes to reach school, since I refuse to speed).

Received a call from my mom just now notifying me that if I fail any class I'm going to be grounded for a very long time, etc. etc.

Watched a person who I already can't stand celebrate all too publically his acceptance into Rice University. I refrain from explaining further due to my sarcastic mood...

Watched a second similar person not celebrate the fact that he has a second chance to get into Rice (we all applied Early Decision; he got deferred to regular), simply because he "didn't want to go there anyway." Again I have to hold back...

Spent a large portion of 3rd period (which I intended to use for doing my history homework) searching for other schools that I really don't care about and don't want to go to.

Got griped at by the attendance lady during 3rd period for "not checking [my] attendance every week" because I went in to chance a regular absence to a school related absence (since I was on a theatre trip that day and didn't wish to take a history semester exam).

What can I say mate but am really feeling for you. If it makes you feel any better I got into just about the worst uni here in Australia and only into a course i did not want to do by the kind support of my principal. Long story short I am now at the best uni here and in the top 50 in the world doing a PhD.

Dont stress too much there is always a way around it and there are always things to do to get where you want to be. Just dont be scared to knock on doors or to explore non-traditional paths. Maybe consider a stint in a overseas uni with comparable standards to the US (Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand). Ring the department you wanted to get into and try to talk to a prof there. I know one friend who did not get the marks he needed but rang and knocked on every door he could find and they let him in.

Finished Essays
Passed English with a 72 (still sore over this one; she rejected a complete/extremely late assignment, saying "it's just a homework assignment it doesn't hurt your grade that much" even though my grade as of the day before she put that grade in was an 89 and i thought [since the assignment was due like 3 weeks ago] that the 89 included that grade...)
Finished History work
Found calculator
Getting projects done instead of taking winter break as I intended to do...
Can't perform "The Servant of Two Masters" to donate money to charity because of lack of support from teachers... I'll have to do something else for service hours.

I suppose things have improved drastically, although I can't say my teachers are in good standing with me...

Last edited:
Amicus Dei of [FoG];320936 said:
Finished Essays
Passed English with a 72 (still sore over this one; she rejected a complete/extremely late assignment, saying "it's just a homework assignment it doesn't hurt your grade that much" even though my grade as of the day before she put that grade in was an 89 and i thought [since the assignment was due like 3 weeks ago] that the 89 included that grade...)
Finished History work
Found calculator
Getting projects done instead of taking winter break as I intended to do...
Can't perform "The Servant of Two Masters" to donate money to charity because of lack of support from teachers... I'll have to do something else for service hours.

I suppose things have improved drastically, although I can't say my teachers are in good standing with me...

Wow, praise the Lord! I empathize with you spending your Xmas break working, its what I had to do last year when I was finishing up grad school. This year it was SWEET to be able to have a bunch of time off to really enjoy and celebrate Christmas.

The Lord's hand was very clear in your situation. Heck, his shovel is still sitting there next to that pile of dirt you were buried under.

Paul

Ah yes, I also spent summer break literally working (as an engineering intern). Apparently working as a paid engineer doesn't help you get into the engineering program at Rice :p

Back