A warning before you buy...

_ALF_

I was in an alpha testing group for SWTOR a long while back and tested Korriban, I knew the game would be a WoW version of KotOR.

I ended up buying it at launch, got my Bounty Hunter to level cap, ran a few "heroics" as a tank, then quit the game 4 hours after hitting cap.

The biggest problem with this game in my opinion is that once at level cap, you cannot simply run instances daily with friends to gear up, you also have to do 25 dailies, every day, to keep up with your guild mates gearing process.

If you have any kind of responsibilities, and just wish to play the game, ie, run instances/raids ect with friends, you will simply be left behind unless you wish to grind for about 2 hours every day, on top of the normal time you would want to do with friends.

For a brand new MMO, its wildly disappointing to wind up ignoring content, and handing you a huge pile of dailies.

I'm still enjoying the game so far. I would venture to say that most of that 400,000 dropped in February after their second paid month. I saw a huge decline on the Warriors of the Shadow PvP server that month. From comments on the SWTOR forums, it seems that a lot of PvP lovers went to Fatman server. After I went to Vrook Lamar server to play with the ToJ Republic guild, that server experienced a big population drop in March. My daughter went to The Harbinger towards the end of March and joined a secular guild. I did the same last month and am very much enjoying the game again. The guild has people from here and the UK, so people are always on. During the evenings, there's up to 70 guild people online. The empire fleet generally has around 300 players on. I've hopped on Vrook Lamar occasionally over the past couple of weeks and the population there seems stable and actually a bit better than when I left. Warriors of the Shadow seems pretty much dead. I've seen quite a few players that are brand new to the game join The Harbinger. I seem to be spending about a quarter of my time answering newbie questions in guild chat and planet chat. Again, I think most of the 400,000 left in February and March.

Being one who enjoys the journey more than getting to the destination, I tend not to level quickly. My highest toon on Warriors of the Shadow got to 39. My highest toon on Vrook Lamar is only 35. My Sorc on The Harbinger is 34. Maybe I'll experience some of the same problems that the fast-levelers experienced when I hit 50, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the guild that I'm currently in. There are a lot of level 50 players and I never see any complaining in guild chat or on their forums. I don't feel like the game is grindy at all, but, then again, I'm not at 50 yet. WoW felt very grindy to me, as well as Rift. Aion was a bit grindy, but not as bad as others.

I'm not the type of player in SWTOR that likes to keep hitting the spacebar to get through dialogs as quickly as possible. The journey is part of the enjoyment for me. It feels like I'm in my own story and I think SWTOR is much richer in that respect that other MMOs.

By the way, I'm wondering if the same thing will occur in GW2. We're probably going to see people that level-cap within a month and start complaining that there's nothing to do and drop the game. I can see the future complaining forum posts now at mmorpg.org and the various guild wars forums.

The reason it wont be as bad in GW2 is that ALL content is end game relevant. The way they scale you to the zones, you can go to any area at max level and participate in the 3000+ events taking place. You will get level-cap appropriate rewards and still have a challenge while playing along side your guildies at no detriment to them or you. THIS is fantastic and hopefully revolutionizes the genre.

Also don't forget that the SWTOR version of open world PVP was the worst implementation in modern day while GW2 has something that has the press drooling over and living entire weekends in while barely cracking the surface of content. The 3 faction WvWvW is the best of DAOC + Warhammer with massive 500 v 500 v 500 battles that will actually be playable.

The reason it wont be as bad in GW2 is that ALL content is end game relevant. The way they scale you to the zones, you can go to any area at max level and participate in the 3000+ events taking place. You will get level-cap appropriate rewards and still have a challenge while playing along side your guildies at no detriment to them or you. THIS is fantastic and hopefully revolutionizes the genre.
Yes, I agree. I think it is very innovative.

Also don't forget that the SWTOR version of open world PVP was the worst implementation in modern day while GW2 has something that has the press drooling over and living entire weekends in while barely cracking the surface of content. The 3 faction WvWvW is the best of DAOC + Warhammer with massive 500 v 500 v 500 battles that will actually be playable.
Are you referring to Illum? I haven't been to Illum yet. I dislike one-on-one PvP, which is why I left the ToJ PvP server. I'm looking forward to trying out ht WvWvW stuff. I spent most of my beta time checking out the Ele storyline and exploring the city.

GW2 will also likely not have the daily grind because you are not paying a subscription fee.
The psychology behind the pay per month fee is tied in with the dailies, you feel like you are losing money if you don't log in and grind the dailies.
So in my opinion, there is no reason for GW2 to include dailies in its game. Guild Wars 1 had a great system, and I hope that GW2 continues the trend.

I am not saying SWTOR was not an enjoyable game. I read and listened to every dialogue in my trip to 50, the game was a blast.

Back