8v8 coming back to HA?

For a while, anyway. Here's a post on GWGuru from Gaile Gray:

Gaile Gray said:
[Dev Update] Competitive Play, Skill Balance, Heroes' Ascent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, everyone,

Here is some information that I think you'll enjoy, covering topics relevant to PvP but of note for all players, I'm sure. I'm choosing to post in this forum to get the maximum visibility for this significant news, and to centralize feedback and comments. However, if the moderators want to copy to other forums as well, that's ok with me.

Tournaments and Competitive Play:
The automated tournament system will be in place around the start of April, 2007.
The ATS will offer competitive play and rewards for both Hero Battles (sometimes called 1v1) and GvG competition.
Our focus at present is to develop expanding support for competitive play, to include more players in various gameplay modes, and to reward players with both in-game and real-world prizes.
Competitive play options will include daily competitions in the ATS with in-game prizes.
There will be monthly competitions, also via the ATS, that will offer exciting real world prizes like video cards or consumer electronics to the top finishers.
The monthly tournaments will provide support for non-PvPers through the Xunlai Tournament House.
Players of varying skill levels will be able to compete and win prizes.
A new competitive event of Guild versus Guild play will starting in the next couple of weeks, and the official rules for that competition will be distributed quite soon.
The upcoming GvG tournament will provide exciting real world prize support for the guilds, and will be supported through the Xunlai Tournament House, as well.
This Guild versus Guild tournament will extend until just prior to the start of the Automated Tournament System in April.
Skill Balancing:
We're rolling out another set of skill balances this Friday. There are new skill balance changes, and some of those that were previously tested have been tweaked and adjusted based on player feedback and team observation. Other changes will be carried over in the same form as they were presented last weekend.
We will be collecting feedback on the second round of skill balance changes over the next few weeks.
You may see noticeable changes to skills after this weekend, and there will be additional skill adjustments over time.
Heroes' Ascent:
You know about the testing weekend this week, of course. (See the news post of January 30th.) Having received a great deal of valuable player feedback about HA last weekend, we've made some really significant changes to some of the maps and gameplay mechanics.
We will hold testing of Heroes' Ascent with an 8v8 party size configuration next weekend, starting on February 9th. This will be a limited test-nor more than a week in length-after which we will revert to the current 6v6.
We will then continue to collect community feedback on the party size issue before making a final decision on HA party size by the end of February.
Your questions and comments are welcome, and we look forward to your feedback on the test weekends, as well!
The Guild Wars Site

That's interesting. Most people I've talked to have been happy with the switch to 6v6. I've enjoyed it too, its simply easier to put groups together. But on the other hand, our guild has been attracting more PvP participants than we can bring with 6v6 lately. So at least 8v8 would have that benefit.

I am still expecting that SF is going to get nerfed at the end of all this testing and tweaking.

Paul

Why would SF get nerfed? It's a completely beatable build in 6v6. Now, in 8v8, that would be a different story. 5 SF nukers doing roughly 120 AoE damage each every 5 seconds or so? Nasty.

Back