85 Level Hunter stuff ...

Hunter changes coming ... I put bold and underline on the poor SV nerf incoming :(

"PvE
We’re happy with damage overall. We have very few traditional tank and spank fights (even Argaloth likes to parry melee) so it’s hard to get consistent numbers without very large data sets. Still, we see Survival hunters and Unholy DKs on top of a lot of single target fights. Arcane, Marksman, and Beastmaster damage is too low. Retribution, Shadow, and Fire and Frost mage damage might be too low, but we’re still watching them. We aren’t seeing a lot of Subtlety rogues in PvE yet, so that sample size is still small. On fights where there is a lot of area damage, Demonology warlocks, Frost DKs and possibly Survival hunters are all too high. Shadow priest AE, mostly due to a weak Mind Sear, feels too low.

Healing in PvE is working out pretty much as intended. There are some Heroic dungeon bosses that are probably tougher than the required item level average permits. In general, you might have a tough time upon zoning into a Heroic dungeon with a bunch of strangers as soon as Dungeon Finder permits, especially if your group isn’t willing to communicate and work together. We want Heroics to be challenging -- if you want to zerg the content, stick to normal dungeons.

Tank balance overall seems good at this point in time. Threat seems to be in a good place -- good tanks don’t have much of a problem, but they can’t “phone it in” either. We’re seeing all four tanks get a lot of use, even on Heroic raid fights. That could change as more guilds are able to make serious heroic attempts."

" Hunter (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
As part of the Marks and Beastmaster buffs, we’re buffing Aimed Shot, Kill Shot, Chimera Shot, and Kill Command."

Last edited:
We aren’t seeing a lot of Subtlety rogues in PvE yet, so that sample size is still small

I guess I need to level up my rogue to increase their sample population. Then if my DPS is really low I can get bonuses in the next patch :)

Looks like a 15% nerf to SV's two big hitters - Exp Shot and the DoT that SV hunters get to add (yes I forget the name of common things).

The other two specs are getting a slight buff through a 10% increase to damage on Arcane shot (which SV hunters never use).

BM - increase in both mastery benefit and RAP
MM - Increase in Chimera shot damage

All numbers subject to change - for example, the nerf for SV was changed from a 25% to a 15% reduction (they nerfed the nerf)

Actually Ron, I use arcane quite a bit, there is some serious theorycraft concerning the glyph and adding arcane in the rotation, my dps has not suffered from its use. It is situational but I would say it is "commonly" used in my rotation.

very nice to know Adam - would you please explain why it is advantageous over Exp Shot? do you use it as a filler when Exp Shot is on CD and you have enough energy? I tend to use kill command in that situation, but would be happy to know better. Or is there another, better use that I am just not seeing?

Couple of notes to start with, black arrow is getting nerfed by 15% BUT arcane is getting buffed by 15%. According to the PTR, SV is getting their agi nerfed by 5% so everything is subject to change :)

Sources:
http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/2010/11/cataclysm-survival-sv-hunter-shot-rotation/

http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t110723-cataclysm_survival_hunter/

Arcane is your focus dump, and I need to dump my focus often is the very short answer in particular when we are at full focus AND our Lock & Load procs. The details are in the above links.

I am also using a solid mod called Faceshooter from "Midnight" who worked with the hunter community on Elitistjerks (http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t105901-faceshooter_hunter_shot_priorities_cataclysm/p3/) and his mod is here (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13739-FaceShooter.html)

Being a Beast Master Hunter. . .I am sad that this spec has too low of dps, but I do love all the new pets we can tame; Ghostcrawler, Bugs, Shale Spiders, Sea Gulls, Flaming Turtles, Spirit Beasts, and whatever else that is avaliable. This website was my tool I used to find most of the pets:
http://www.wow-petopia.com/
A full list of tameable pets of new and old worlds.

@ Adam - How do you use arcane as a focus dump when Lock & Load procs? Arcane shares the Lock & Load with Exp shot, meaning 1) it also costs no energy and 2) wastes a free use of Exp shot. To me this is when the Kill Command is best used.

After putting Arcane Shot back on my list, I have tried to use it a bit more when I have extra energy without Lock & Load, as when i am hasted through Rapid Fire or Heroism. I do like it better in this case as it uses less energy than Kill Command so doesn't tend to make me wait on my better shots later and is up more. This does result in the occasional waste of a Lock & Load proc as I push the shot button just as I get the proc :( oh well, I'll see how it goes....

Generally speaking when lock n load procs you look at two things - A) do i have enough energy for kill command and b) is my target at or below 19% health.

For a) the rotation changes to explosive shot -> kill command -> explosive shot (and normally) -> arcane shot and then goes back into rotation

For b) explosive shot -> kill shot -> explosive shot-> kill shot -> arcane shot (or kill command depends on focus) back into rotation.

Back