XFire Instant Messenger

Shagz

http://www.xfire.com/xf/index.php

Anyone try/heard of this little app? Just like it says, an instant messenger for gamers. Sounds right up our alley.
smile.gif

Going to download it now and give it a whirl...

I saw it on techtv, it's supposed to work good, for counter strike I'd stick with "Steam Friends" because of the ability to IM while in game.

i did, my xfire is pilgrim03
smile.gif
add me
biggrin.gif
i dont have very many christians to play red alert 2 with, UT, etc..

Coo...ya'll can find me as "shagz". I play UT2K3, UT2K4, U2:XMP, and Q3 (vanilla DM, Q3F, Alternate Fire, Ultra Freeze, Team Arena and my new love, Jail Break: Prisoners of War)

I think the neatest thing about the messenger is the "I'm up for a game of..." feature, plus you can view your friend's friends, allowing you to meet other people who play the same games.

Ah wait a minute....Tek, doesn't All Seeing Eye do this instant message/buddy list bizness too?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shagz @ Mar. 15 2004,5:36)]Ah wait a minute....Tek, doesn't All Seeing Eye do this instant message/buddy list bizness too?
Buddy list, yes. Instant messenger, not to my knowledge.

Right, but it can tie into IRC though, right?

I'm just concerned about adding *yet another* method of communicating between ToJ gamers, when really one program can do it all. I'm going to have to stop putting it off and just download the ASE demo and see for myself I suppose. :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shagz @ Mar. 16 2004,2:32)]Right, but it can tie into IRC though, right?
ASE can post a message giving the name and IP of the server you join to all channels when you join a game, using the DDE link to mIRC. Other than that, there's no built-in messaging features.

Which is good. The good Lord knows we don't need any more instant message networks or protocols. -_- At least, any that can't be used in conjunction with Trillian.

biggrin.gif

No, that's totally true.  So I dl'd ASE and I'm just going through things.  Question: how do the "channels" and "pager" work?  Is this related to IRC or are these internal ASE channels? It would be great if I could be paged in ASE by someone who's in an IRC channel...

And how does the Buddy Tracker work?  Is it constantly updating, scanning the entire network looking for your buddies and reporting back where they are playing?  I use another program call ARTraySpy which notifies me whenever a friend comes onto a server I'm monitoring, so rather than keeping track of where my friends are playing, I'm keeping track of the server and if friends are showing up there.  Can ASE do something similar?

I think I'm going to abandon XFire (not that I was using it much) and seriously look into ASE.  So far I like the interface and it's approach to the UI is well done. TraySpy's main interface is terrible but I like it's approach for keeping tab's on servers and players.

Hmmmm...well, I've been toying with ASE for a couple days now. I'm not sure if I like it or not. I still prefer TraySpy at the moment, because at a glance it tells me when "buddies" are logged into my favourite servers (although so far, I haven't picked up any ToJ members).

The buddy system in ASE seems to be really slow and too precise, because it records not just a player's name but their colour codes too. If a player changes their colours....I'd like to be able to wildcard it, so that if anybody with "toj.cc" in their name shows up, but it doesn't seem to behave that way (I tried ?toj.cc? and I get nothing).

Still haven't figured out the pager or the channel system, seems to have nothing to do with IRC.

It's definitely a great server browser, but with in-game browsers getting better, I'm not sure how important it is to have to pay for an alternate (although with the XMP master server down, ASE is very handy).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shagz @ Mar. 25 2004,8:51)]I'd like to be able to wildcard it, so that if anybody with "toj.cc" in their name shows up, but it doesn't seem to behave that way (I tried ?toj.cc? and I get nothing).
ASE doesn't allow wildcards in the buddy list. Never has, never will. It stinks, I know, but imagine the server load if everyone had *1337* in their buddy list. *boggles*

There seems to be an option for "monitor server"....what does that do, 'cuz it won't let me use it in the unregistered version.

Back