When lightning strikes twice

kraniac

Background: My parents are both divorced and remarried and my dad lives in another state.

I went to visit my father last week. He is a Universalist Unitarian, not a Christian, but he still loves putting up Christmas decorations, and Christmas in general. He has a lot of those wire-frame lawn sculptures with lights on them that he puts out, and one of them, a reindeer, even moves its head. It's pretty neat.

For two years, my dad and stepmother looked around for another lawn sculpture, a wireframe angel blowing a trumpet. They finally found one this year, and added it to the decorations.

When we woke up one morning last week, it was gone.

Fast forward a few days. It's the night of the 23rd and I'm watching Jay Leno while I pack my bags to head home for Christmas. I hear a rustling outside, and a hushed voice. I peer through my vertical blinds to see a white hand shaking our wireframe Christmas tree sculpture. I, thinking the thief returned to steal the other decorations, quickly run to the door and fumble around trying to open it to shout at them. While I am fumbling with the door, I hear a loud clank, some rustling, some shouting, and squealing tires.

I throw on some clothes and wake up my father. We rush outside and are greeted by a completely trashed lawn. The Christmas tree sculpture is broken in half, the reindeer ones are broken and kicked over, and even some of the cactus in the front yard is messed up.

No other houses in our neighborhood reported complaints, and my father cannot think of anyone who would be angry with him for any reason.

We filed a report with the police, but nothing has come of it. Pray for my father and stepmother and that these random acts of violence cease. Acts such as these are quite violating to our sense of security. You feel as though, if you can't be safe at home, you can't be safe anywhere.

Mmm... late response, but quite a bit late. It could have been a bunch of random kids who said "look, nice decorations! let's bash 'em." hope it isn't someone who hates your family personally... okay. add it in to my prayer list. :p

Back