What are games' memory requirements!?

Corpfox

When I had a P133mhz with 1.2 gig hard drive, I installed Starcraft with Brood War, total 200mb memory installation. Everytime I'd play on-line, about 4-5 hours of the game, it would give me a "Low memory" error. When I look at my Performance Memory before, I have 800mb memory of hard drive space, when the "Low memory" error shows, I have 100mb memory of HD space, thats a huge chunk of memory just for on-line!?

Now, I have a E-Machines, Windows XP, 633mhz, 192 ram, 20 gig hard drive, 32 mb nvidia tnt2 vid card. BUT STILL, "Low memory" errors.
mad.gif

Right now, I have 6.9 gigs of hard drive space (7034MB). 5 mins ago, I was playing Day of Defeat on Steam, at the beginning of the game, i had a chunk of lag spikes, but thats just my broadband...
anyways, I just played 1 game, about 30 mins, and it gives me the "low memory" error. How can I have "low memory" when I have 7034MB of space left!?

Day of Defeat req to install, about 650 MB (I think), so how much memory from my 6.9 gigs of HD does it req?

Btw, these following games that have given me the "low memory" error:

Starcraft: Brood War Expansion
Steam: Counter-Strike 1.6
Steam: Day of Defeat 1.1
C&C: Renegade
C&C: Red Alert 2
C&C: Yuri's Revenge Expansion
Heroes 3: WOG
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Demo

And those are the only games that are installed in the computer!

Also, it says its using 303 MB of HD space for all drives.

Low memory isnt your harddrive space, but you RAM, and 192mb is less then your previous 200mb.  Not much you can play on that nowadays, well newer stuff anyhow.  Being that XP requires at least 256 of RAM, its no wonder your machine gets bogged down.

RAM is your system resources that are cleared at program shutdown and at reboot. Harddrives are ROM, read-only memory. Your error is from the RAM, and id suggest getting some more, but since you have a very low end machine, Id suggest buying one that has 2-3 times the power of that one. which would only run you 200-300 bucks.

Yeah, ok fine, my bad!

Btw, there is only 4 times better pc's where I live and almost double the price cause I'm from Canada.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]that has 2-3 times the power of that one. which would only run you 200-300 bucks.

Shop online, especially on e-bay, there are a lot of stores and business's that sell only on e-bay, thats where I used to get mine before I started building them.  Great deals.  Also doing a http://froogle.google.com search works too.

I prefer the safer way, shop direct to get the pc. Thanks for the offer though. Plus, I don't own any credit cards or checks.

Back