[Weekly - W] Now Playing

Welp, I finished my first playthrough of Transformers: Devastation; standard difficulty with Optimus. Worth every penny (got it for $9, would be worth more), and I'll no doubt be playing of it/playing it again in the future. I like it enough that I'm willing to pay the same to buy the much less positively-received Turtles game by Platinum on a gamble that I might enjoy it despite what people have had to say about it.

Also working on finishing up Chrono Cross. Great game, but I /really/ wish I could speed up the combat. The animations are so slow that it makes things feel sloggy for my speed-needing mind. lol Despite this, there's still a lot to love. Looking forward to finishing my first playthrough ever. ...and getting back to my Final Fantasy franchise progress.

Oh, and I have Star Wars: The Card Game's core set on the way for tabletop goodness. Hooray!

I bought The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD for the Wii U for $16 on Amazon! I played about the first 30 minutes (which likely would have taken 10 had I not taken to wandering around Outset Island and searching for side-quests) and really enjoyed it. Say what you will about Nintendo--"They're out of touch," "They abandon franchises like Metroid," and so on--but wow, they make some of the best games in the industry.

Still playing Puzzle & Dragons. Logging in for Monster Strike daily rewards. Logging in to Pokemon Shuffle when I feel like it. More or less abandoned Pokemon GO because Niantic has yet to implement a functional tracking system. Getting ready to uninstall both Moebius Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Brave Exvius because neither had held my attention.

Managed to play roughly an hour of Yakuza 5 this last week and cleared the first section of the second chapter. I can't say I'm really excited about where the story is going as it feels like it's bogging down and I'll be stuck with a character that was never my favorite, but I trust it will be worth it when I get to Tokyo to punch dudes in the face again. Good times.

Wait, is this your first time to play Wind Waker? :eek:
Yes, sir. I missed most of the Gamecube era because I didn't own a console between the Sega Genesis and the Dreamcast until much later when I purchased a modded Playstation 1.

So I played a little bit of Wind Waker this last week. Not much. But I did manage to annoy my older daughter by checking every nook and cranny before going to see my grandmother on Outset Island. I'm enjoying the more complex (but not too complex!) combat so far and the controls feel great, like a Nintendo game should.

In mobile game news, I'm pleased to report a major achievement in Puzzle & Dragons: I cleared Ultimate Arena 1 this last week! For those not familiar with PAD (and I'd guess that's most of you), Arena 1 is one of the most difficult dungeons in the game. It took 19 attempts spread out over several weeks, but I finally did it. Huzzah!

Still want to get back to Yakuza 5.

Played some more Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. Such a great game. My older daughter frequently asks to watch me play it, but it's rare for us to have enough time together in the evening to fire up the Wii U and load my save.

I'm on my laptop tonight with a few minutes (that I should probably be spending doing something productive) and I'm feeling the old itch to play a multiplayer PC game.

When I'm this late on the Wednesday post, I'm never sure if I should just wait until the next week or not. :p

Thanks to a mate's gifting for my birthday, I started Far Cry 4. I'm really impressed. I'm suffering from Elder Scrolls Syndrome--get so distracted by trying to hunt things that will yield useful upgrades that the major quests get neglected--but it's super cool. I caused a cave-in on a den of wolves by blowing up the entrance with an explosive arrow, for example. I'm also impressed on a worldview level that it manages to make me go, "yeesh...that's messed up" without ever remotely glorifying the depravity I'm fighting...and somehow also making me realize "things very similar are probably taking place in multiple places around the world right now." Not every day a game manages to do all of that. Also impressed by how well it makes me feel like I'm one with my character.

Another mate hooked me up with the PSP release of the first Persona game, so I've slowly been clocking a little time in that. It's really good, and the updates are appreciated, but the game largely holds up well to the test of time anyway. Super interesting as Persona games have always been for me.

And, of course, I've put in a little work in Destiny to prep for Rise of Iron's impending release. :D

Actually managed to game a bit more than usual this week. Was nice.

...getting in what I can while I can. haha

Played more Wind Waker!

...Like, 5-7 whole minutes!

#gamerdad

Still playing PAD, though things have slowed down since the latest event ended and I cleared Arena 1 (which, to me, felt a lot like "beating the game" since it was a goal that seemed out of reach for so long).

Some days I log in to Monster Strike for daily bonuses. But that's about it. I get the vibe that the game is tanking in NA, though I could be mistaken.

Wanting to finish the Bravely Default boss fight that I started...

...back in August. :(

Persona PSP has gotten more of my time than most games since my last post. Of course, I'm playing it in 5-10 bursts or while doing other things, neither of which has been conducive to making savable progress. Lots of re-play. haha

Just got Alienation on PS4, and I'm super stoked about it. Looks very much like a game built specifically for me.

Rise of Iron comes out in less than a week, though, and my copy is already paid for. Soooo, I'm stoked.

So many games. So little progress. :p

Hey! I just noticed your post and link on Facebook to this forum. I've been playing Heroes of the Storm, League of Legends, the new Unreal Tournament, and I'm very busy creating my own content for a music game called Stepmania. I've also been trying some other games on the side like Toxikk, and of course, I still hit the arcade and love to play music games. :) I'm also interested in buying the fixed up version of MK X for PC when it's out. That's pretty much it! I really wish that I can get some of my fellow ToJers back together for the new UT. It's the game that brought me to this group and has a lot of meaning to me. <3

I really wish that I can get some of my fellow ToJers back together for the new UT. It's the game that brought me to this group and has a lot of meaning to me. <3
Mostly_Harmless sighting! Glad to see you again, sir. :)

How is the new UT shaping up?

I guess it's time to see if Epic fixed the UT launcher so I can try to run it on my desktop computer. Last I checked (earlier this year?), the UT launcher conflicted with Covenant Eyes, so I shelved it at that time.

Mostly_Harmless sighting! Glad to see you again, sir. :)

How is the new UT shaping up?

I guess it's time to see if Epic fixed the UT launcher so I can try to run it on my desktop computer. Last I checked (earlier this year?), the UT launcher conflicted with Covenant Eyes, so I shelved it at that time.

Thanks! It's very slow with progress, but getting there. Hopefully, you'll be able to play it soon. The only thing I still dislike about the game is the removal of double jump, but other than that, it plays great.

Still playing Puzzle & Dragons.

Played a little more Wind Waker.

Want to play more Yakuza 5, especially since I think I'm JUST about to get back to where the story's about to get interesting again. (I'm currently playing a chapter that's more or less gone on a tangent and I'm ready to get back to the main plot.)

Played 2 levels of Rayman Legends with my older daughter tonight. <3

Seriously considering uninstalling Miitomo, Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, and Moebius Final Fantasy as I've barely touched any of them in 2 weeks.

Installed and started playing Wheel of Fortune Free Play and it feels like the first competent mobile version of WOF in, well, possibly ever. It's free-to-play so I'm sure it will annoy me soon enough, but I'm enjoying the ride while it lasts.

Still playing Puzzle & Dragons.
Whaaaaaaaat? ;)

Started on a sweet game called Alienation. It's equal parts Diablo and twin-stick shooter with moments of bullethell all wrapped in an XCOM presentation. Oh, and there's couch co-op and online co-op. It's like the devs were trying to build a game for me. (Oh, and national ranks in which America is severely lagging behind many countries.)

Other than that, finished the initial quest line of Rise of Iron expansion in Destiny. It's top notch.

Splash of Far Cry 4 in there. Just acquired Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, but haven't gotten a chance to play it yet.

Console gaming has been more challenging to get time with, so I'm trying to focus on my handheld gaming options a little more.

And picking up Star Wars Commander since it has a Win10 app version that my new (and terribly underpowered-but-purchased-for-paper-writing-so-I-expected-that) laptop can run.

GW2? Only game to play. I did by accident get into part of the living story part 3, and with a lot of help finish Blood Stone Fen despite the frightening (to me) vertical play. Now about finishing Heart of Thorns.

Back