Wednesday, September 8, 2010 - Luke 21:1-3

Durruck

Pirate!
I'm going to do this a little backwards this week. I want to tell you a story, and then the Bible verse that that applied. This is yet another example of how we have the Living Word available to us. For those that have me on facebook, this will look familiar - I posted it yesterday. I just hate to waste a useful lesson :)

----

Last Friday, we went out and did the Fill-The-Boot campaign for Jerry's Kids and the Muscular Dystrophy Association. We do it every year around Labor Day. The huge number of firehouses in the US do it every year. We don't collect much (we're a 1-station department in the middle of a relatively poor part of town - maybe we should go into the rich community next door and collect, but that's an idea for another time)

Anyway, as we're playing dodge the big trucks in the street, there's a few people getting on and off the bus. It happens a lot, since we're at one of the busiest intersections in the city. One guy gets off the bus and asks what we're collecting for. So I tell him, and he gives me a buck (which looked to be the last dollar he had - at least in that stash). And then he told me about his brother that was stuck in a wheelchair as a kid, and how Jerry's Kids and the MDA put on a camp, and how much it meant to his brother to get to go. And a sidenote, the brother can walk now, too. I'm not certain, but I got the impression that it was because of the MDA's research.

That was pretty cool. I'll admit, after a decade of doing this, I was getting burned out. I didn't really have any desire to go out and play in traffic. I didn't have any desire to send a bunch of money to an organization that I never heard anything about, other than when they wanted me to go get them more money. For all I knew, it was the typical rich get richer campaign. But that's not why I'm ashamed.

I talked to the guy for a minute or two, and he was very nice. I didn't recognize him, he just seemed like some guy traveling through the city. Not the case. With a little help from my partner, I came to realize that this guy was well-known in our city. He is The Poet. He's a drunk, homeless bum that has been kicked out and banned from every business in the city because he's usually disruptive and obnoxious. Now, I don't know where he gets his money. Everyone knows him when he's drunk. Maybe people give him a few dollars just to leave so he won't disrupt business. Maybe he has people that feel sorry for him... I don't know.

But he gave what appeared to be his last dollar to charity, and he seemed excited to be doing it.

I'm reminded of the passage from Luke 21:1-3

As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins."I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."​

I put my money in the offering plate every week. I even do so willingly and happily (there are some weeks I wish I had the extra money to blow on stuff I want, but I realize the importance of doing my share to fund my church and it's missions: follow God's direction). But I give out of my wealth, while still worrying about paying the mortgage, keeping the power on, paying for my monthly subscription on MMOs, eating at nice restaurants 5 nights a week. And I was shown up by a guy who's biggest concerns are where he's going to get food, shelter, and another drink today. That's why I'm ashamed.

So true and to see it fulfilled is priceless! I gave one of Jerry's kids a ride in my boat once with his mom directly behind him holding him in his seat as if it was as my last dollar lol a wild ride but you know it turned out Priceless so my heart resounds happiness and tears! 1989! Jeff in Black Forest Colorado! He died just after his appearance on the telethon and I am forever touched! Thank you for doing what you do!

Back