Wednesday, October 6, 2010: Mark 2:17

Durruck

Pirate!
Mark 2:17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

I'll admit it. Quite a few times I've caught myself saying things like "why is so-and-so hanging around those people?" or "Should Christians really be hanging out in those places?"

And every time I read Mark 2:17, I have to eat crow - feathers and all. Because the answer is "Absolutely!" Christians should be hanging out with the sick - how else are we supposed to develop the trusting relationships with them so that we earn the right to share Jesus with them?

"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." This has been attributed to multiple different sources (John C Maxwell, Teddy Roosevelt, and Cavett Robert. I don't honestly know who really said it first, but the point still stands.

Jesus did not condemn the women caught in adultery. He protected her from her accusers. He took the time to look past her sinful predicament and see that she was capable of becoming righteous through His forgiveness.

We should remember the same thing about "those people" in "those places."

heh. I re-read this post this morning and found a mistake or two, but the interesting thing is that I never intend on typing this much...just kinda happens.

Back