Webhosting business goes poofies

Hescominsoon

CGA\TOJ Hosting Manager
due to a general lack of interest and specifically a lack of interest from my clients I am shutting down my webhosting business. GFC will still be hosted by me on another account(it may stay on the same server if i can't a pro-rated discount) but I'm not going to take any additional customers and the one paying client i do have i am helping them transfer to another webhoster. It's been a money drain since the beginning and i was hoping to have enough clients to break even by this time. I have one paying client so i am netting an over 50% loss on my investment. No business(unless it's financing itself on debt) can sustain that kind of loss for long. I'm killing this segment before it can drag the rest of my business down.

Again GFC's website is not going to go dark. I have been working feverishly all day to get things stable. Once i do GFC's website will be back online.

well it's done. I've requested a cancel on the server and already setup a godaddy account. in about 24 hours i should have dns flipped over and gfc, ecc, and hcs should come back online.

It's pretty amazing how hard it is to get into web hosting and how easy it is to get out of it. Don't know if i'll ever try it again. I think the market has enough web hosters and folks did not think that having their web hoster local was important enough..:)

honestly? It was a pain in the rear. I did it trying to add value for my clients..value they did not see.

Not something that is easy to get into. I host myself on a VPS because I like the flexibility, but I don't handle clients besides family.

honestly? It was a pain in the rear. I did it trying to add value for my clients..value they did not see.

Unless someone is informed they will go to what appears to be the shiniest objects. The websites offering thousands of GB in transfer have several dozen (usually hundreds) of clients on the same machine and it slogs along at a snails pace in terms of access and speed.

nods..that was one of my selling points. i did not oversub my server. Also apparently having tech support locally available wasn't enough either. Folks are easily deceived these days and want something for nothing., I would not offer those wild numbers(in all conscience i couldn't) and it cost me. I'll stick with my consulting firm..:)

nods..that was one of my selling points. i did not oversub my server. Also apparently having tech support locally available wasn't enough either. Folks are easily deceived these days and want something for nothing., I would not offer those wild numbers(in all conscience i couldn't) and it cost me. I'll stick with my consulting firm..:)

The better companies will have requests filled within the hour and will have staff 24/7. Usually they can get away at offering those prices because they traffic shape the outgoing connection such that it is only possible to get about 100-200GB of traffic (if you ran it 24/7 downloading junk).

Sorry to hear that all that hard work was for naught. :(

Here is to hoping and praying that you make up the lost income and end up better for it!

Back