Videogames

MeridianFlight

Succinct thread title, no?

I'm about to pose a question where many will argue that the answer is completely arbitrary, and therefore the question is virtually pointless. That's fine, but I disagree, and will proceed with asking the question.

What does everyone here think about Christians playing videogames? Is it cool for Jesus Freaks to be spending time and money on videogames? How precious are those two resources, and how much of it should be exhausted on videogames?

Like I said, this a question many will argue contains an arbitrary answer. So I expect quite a few "to each their own" and "How the Spirit convicts you" responses. If you have a different opinion, awesome, please post on it.

Even though this general topic has been brought up in the past, some new points have been brought up in this thread.

Gen

I will watch this debate with interest, and maybe join in myself once some points have been raised, but I feel I have to declare an interest, as I'm a Games Developer by trade.

I feel that we shouldn't be obsessed with it especially so that it consumes our life, for me I am limited to 2 hours a day or less and 4 hours a day on weekends.. I don't usually use up the time tho

1. the way i always saw it was that to much of anything can be bad for you, and in the same way, if you are doing something for to much time and its detracting from ur relationship with God, then its something that should be cut down upon. Gaming can and has in the past interfere with a christions relationship with God.

2. In regards to games with severe amount of occultism, as long as my toon isnt specifically participating (IE, elder scrolls 3 morrowind where you fulfill prophoceys and take part in occultic rituals), then playing an elementalist or mesmer (elemental caster and illusion caster from Guild Wars) is nothing worse than sitting around some wiccens or parttaking of winteremus (gaming holiday week for gamers to roleplay varous genres)

God can't be entertained by videogames unless He can force Himself to be entertained.

The bad thing about being omnipotent is that nothing is really much of a challenge.

Wow - a new version of the eternal question...

Can God create a videogame so hard that even he can't complete it?

If you con think it he con do it! and I think he con play video games!!! First you hov to imply that god is at a point where everything is boring. Because other wise you wouldn't be here!:D

As with any vice of this world, if playing video games controls your life, you are playing entirely way too much.

As for, the eternal question, or the new variation, Can God Create a videogame so hard that even he can't complete it? The answer is, God can not do that which is not in nature to do. God can not sin because sinning is not in his nature. God can not create a rock so heavy that he can not move it becasue it is not in his nature to create things that are greater then himself. I guess you can call it a limit God must adhere to, and that is to not be able to create\do that which is not in his nature to do. Which is good news: God will remain faithful because it is not in his nature to do otherwise, AMEN!!!

Eon said:
Wow - a new version of the eternal question...

Can God create a videogame so hard that even he can't complete it?

good question

In my opnion it is not nessessarilly a bad thing to be playing games, however like Atown said "to much of anything can be bad for you." If it consumes your entire life (including getting in the way of your daily bible time or church) then you really need to slow down.

Gods_Peon said:
As with any vice of this world, if playing video games controls your life, you are playing entirely way too much.

As for, the eternal question, or the new variation, Can God Create a videogame so hard that even he can't complete it? The answer is, God can not do that which is not in nature to do. God can not sin because sinning is not in his nature. God can not create a rock so heavy that he can not move it becasue it is not in his nature to create things that are greater then himself. I guess you can call it a limit God must adhere to, and that is to not be able to create\do that which is not in his nature to do. Which is good news: God will remain faithful because it is not in his nature to do otherwise, AMEN!!!

So what your saying is god creates a video game he con beat, and then pretends not to be able to beat it?:p

This is beginning to sound like "War Games".

Maybe God should play Tic Tac Toe against himself...think the entirety of existence would implode?

Back