ToJ / CGA Server Hosting Q?

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Hi guys,

Fairly soon I'll have the means to possibly host servers for the group. I'll have an extra PC, a fairly fast internet rated at 50Mbp down / 25Mbp up per second, and a cool / clean place to store it. Basically I'm getting a place with a friend from church and we want to turn it into LAN party central.

I'll have to look into the options first, but I'll definitely run my own server, and I may be willing to host one for ToJ/CGA. Is there a demand for one? Also, what types of games would you want hosted?

UT2004 Onslaught, please!

System requirements seem to be very low since it's an old game and I imagine it wouldn't eat up much bandwidth, either.

If the server will be on 24/7 and if we can bring in $20 of donations for a mIRC license, it would be nice to host the CGA IRC trivia bot there, too (and that takes up very, very little in terms of resources).

What OS do you think you'll use?

I'll probably go with Ubuntu since it's free and I'm already somewhat familiar with it.

I am wondering about hardware though. For modern games, do you think an i5 with 4GB ram would be enough?

I'll probably go with Ubuntu since it's free and I'm already somewhat familiar with it.

I am wondering about hardware though. For modern games, do you think an i5 with 4GB ram would be enough?
An i5 should be up to the task, though I'd bump a server to at least 8GB RAM, even on Linux. RAM is cheap (or at least it was when I purchased my PC upgrades in January) and adding 4GB or 12GB would be helpful down the line.

I usually run servers on a Pentium 286. You don't need more than 256k ram for most games.

Back