threat meters

rhysj

what a good one I am running ktm right now but it only does it by fight, anything out there I should look at?

Started using Omen and it's an extremely nice mod :) Thanks for the info, all people in the guild should have this, helps a lot in raids!

I have found Omen, while not perfect, is a whole lot more accurate than KLH. I would encourage everyone to run Omen, it's really a great threat meter.

Just to add my critical opinion, I use it on all my toons but it should be considered as a learning tool, not a crutch. I have seen people using it as their main method of not pulling aggro instead of learning what they are doing that causes aggro, when to feint, feign or fade, etc. Just my two cents, use it to learn your class, don't use it to make decisions for you.

Just to add my critical opinion, I use it on all my toons but it should be considered as a learning tool, not a crutch. I have seen people using it as their main method of not pulling aggro instead of learning what they are doing that causes aggro, when to feint, feign or fade, etc. Just my two cents, use it to learn your class, don't use it to make decisions for you.

True true. Long before there were threat meters, I learned on my rogue its better to feint before doing a 5 point cold blood eviscerate then after. Its better to have the threat room to do the damage then to get one shotted after doing the damage.

Yep, to make yourself better at your class learn what to do. Threat meters, imo, are only learning tools. The way we better ourselves is to learn, not to lean on a crutch. I have Omen up and rarely use it for my priest or warlock. I still use it on characters that I do not use that often because I am rusty and do not remember all of the moves :(

Yes it is a very good learning tool, I might use it a little more than I should but I do also have a good idea when I can go all out on the DPS according to what the tank is doing.

I like it as a reference along with what I know just to make sure, sometimes I get a little DPS happy :p

Personally, I like to use it to gague when it's safe to open up. I run with Angie a lot, so a threat meter is REALLY nice in 3 situations that I can think of. 1) I got a gear upgrade, and my moves are causing more threat, the meter helps me get a feel for it without a huge repair bill, 2) if she gets an upgrade, it lets me know that I have more room to play with than I did the previous run, or 3) one of her moves gets parried, dodged, etc. and there's no way of me knowing that she has -500 threat unless I had the meter running. (short of scanning the combat log. )= )

I find it's extremely helpful when you are running with a tank you are not familiar with. On my warlock especially it's not so easy to turn off the dps (once I get all 5 dots ticking), so I need to know in advance if I need to slow down my dps. I got into a run the other day where I thought I was being extremely conservative in my dps output and yet I still got aggro super easy (and yes I even waited for a full 5 sunders).

I also like to use soul shatter when I get around 120% of the tank's aggro, that way if it is resisted I still have time to slow down dps and not get aggro.

But when I am with a tank I am familiar with I don't look at the meter much.

Back