Theory about reverse engineering

Grimbeorn

Tribe of Judah Star Wars: The Old Republic Sith Em
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I've been doing a lot of reverse engineering. Specifically, I (through several steps) was able to RE the green on the right of the picture below to the purple on the left.

Beltspurpleandgreen.jpg

What I did not mention was that in between the green and the purple I found three blues - with the prefixes critical, overkill, and redoubt. (shown below)

beltcritical.jpg
beltoverkill.jpg
beltredoubt.jpg

Those are all three of the possible blue recipes that can be discovered by RE'ing the original green pattern. After I got that purple belt, I started RE'ing Redoubt Carbon Fiber Armor, which I learned by RE'ing Carbon Fiber Armor. I tried this MANY times, but I did not have any success in learning a purple pattern from RE'ing. It occurred to me that maybe it makes a difference if you know all three of the possible blue options, so I went back and started RE'ing the Carbon Fiber Armor again until I learned Critical Carbon Fiber Armor and Overkill Carbon Fiber Armor. Sure enough, I learned the purple item below after two tries of RE'ing Redoubt Carbon Fiber Armor after that.

Armorpurple.jpg

Theory: If you know all three of the blue items that you can learn from RE'ing a green pattern, it significantly increases the probability that you will learn a purple pattern from RE'ing the blue items. It might not even be POSSIBLE to learn a purple without knowing all three blues, but I didn't really test it enough to have evidence on that count.

Note: This does not apply to RE'ing lower level items or items whose original pattern gave a blue item. Both of those situations have proven to give purples much more easily.

Good to know for gear crafting. In Cybertech, it seems a lot more straightforward, since each armoring/mod has specific stats on it (I can't RE a green product and get different results). I haven't spent the time or money attempting to get purples yet though.

Basically it seems to be like this.
1.RE the green until you learn the blue.
2.RE the blue until you get the purple.
3.???
4. Profit.

Good to know for gear crafting. In Cybertech, it seems a lot more straightforward, since each armoring/mod has specific stats on it (I can't RE a green product and get different results). I haven't spent the time or money attempting to get purples yet though.

Yeah, this wouldn't apply to cybertech or artifice. I'm not completely certain that it applies in this case either, since it is possible that I just had a weird combination of probabilities that made it look like you can only get the purples after you have all three blues. I just have a theory that happens to fit the current facts.

Back