Teamwarfare: couple of forfeited matches

Shagz

Arrgh, I haven't been checking Teamwarfare on a regular basis (I wish they would fix that e-mail thing) and I just had a look now and we missed two challenges in the last few weeks, including one that was initiated on Mon. :p

Gotsta keep on top of that thing...

We should try 'n pull together a little more me thinks, and get back to practicing, something I'm guilty of dropping the ball on.

At the same time, real life/family/school/etc. come before games - they *are* just games, a form of entertainment, not a job. Should we re-evaluate our involvement in the TDM ladder based on our current time commitments?

Given that our current status on the ladder is not as good as it should be, and I don't see any time becoming available soon, and I don't see Killerah playing or posting anymore, now that he's helping with BF2, I think dropping the ladder would actually be a good idea. I myself don't really plan on playing UT2004 much longer. After the TAM 5v5 finishes I think I will probably try getting into Quake 4.

So I'm in favor of dropping the ladder, but at the same time I think we should start practices again once a week. If we stop ladder play, we quit being competitive, but if we quit practicing, we quit being a team, and I'm not quite ready to let that happen yet.

Opinions?

Agree on both counts - drop ladder, but keep playing together, if only to stay fresh and hang out together.

I should also try and resurrect a public gaming night again, there seems to be a renewed interest in Onslaught among some of the chapter members...

kraniac said:
Opinions?
Shagz: Did you ever send that modified recruiting post to BeLoVeD so he could help recruit new members for the UT chapter? I'd suggest trying to recruit team replacements before shutting the team down.

Shagz said:
I should also try and resurrect a public gaming night again, there seems to be a renewed interest in Onslaught among some of the chapter members...
I'm down with it. :) You name the time and place and I'll try to be there.

I did send the recruitment post to BeLoVeD, but then he went on vacation. He's been back since, but he told me he was going to go post it, but I don't know what came of that. I will check with him...

Well... THEY can play ONS if they want. If it weren't for the fact that using ANY custom weapon binds other than the standard number-row completely messes up ONS play, I would probably be down with playing some, just for the fellowship, but whoever it was that programmed ONS mode (it wasn't Epic, I forget who) really blew it on that count, so probably no ONS for me.

Also my server will stay up at least for September.

Side note:
I have preordered Quake 4 and I know that at least you, Shagz, were into Q3A. Are you thinking about Q4 and might you want to start the Quake chapter back up when it releases?

More games >_< I would love to be some help but maybe my school will stop being so harsh new school new people new place new friends so hard so ive been really really busy and with sports till 5 not including homework im really busy sorry.

Off Topic:

re: Quake 4...I will have to wait and see..."wait" because I'm probably gonna have to get a new video card (I couldn't run the Doom 3 demo any higher than 640x480) and "see" because Quake 4's a completely different game than Quake 3. (Does Q4 even *have* multiplayer?)

Quake Wars on the other hand...now that's probably something I can get into, but again, I'll have to get a new video card I think. It's too bad it's being released as a seperate game.

At any rate, I'd be interested in heading up a Quake 4/Quake Wars chapter if I get the game, but there's also time to think about. If QW turns out to be really good, the UT chapter could suffer as a result, which we don't want. :/

Back on topic:

re: ONS binds....you're talking about the weapons you mean? Like how some ONS weapons share the same weapon #?

re: Competition server...cool. Thanks for paying for/running it all this time! Much appreciated. If that's going down, then we can't really stay in the ladder, can we? BTW, can you flip me a PM on what it cost you to run that...perhaps I might take it over if we can keep the comp team going. (Waiting on BeLoVeD's response on the recruitment post front)

re: Pubbing night...a'ight, we'll try and organize something. I've got the Toronto Film Fest all this week so I'm kinda outta commish, but I'll try and pick a date and we'll sort something out. What's better for people, week nights or weekends?

Quake 4 single-player is expected to be similar to Q2's single-player mixed with a dash of Doom 3.

Quake 4's multi-player is expected to be VERY similar to Q3, with better graphics and better lift physics. Also, they're reintroducing the nailgun to multiplayer and making it a UT-minigun style of weapon.

So basically the single-player will be for people who enjoyed Doom 3, or for the people who might've enjoyed it if it wasn't so demonic, and the multiplayer will be for people who enjoyed Quake 3, UT, or Painkiller.

ONS:
Changing vehicle positions in Onslaught should be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 keys. But it's not. It actually assigns the seat switchings to whatever you have your Shield Gun, Assault Rifle, Bio Rifle, Shock Rifle, Link Gun assigned to. So the seat switchings are only 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 IF you use the wretched, default weapon switching keys. For me, I have to think through my weapon binds every time I want to switch seats. For instance, if I get in a Hellbender, and I can't get a second guy to gun, I can still drive around and then switch to gunner when I see somebody to kill, right? So when I want to switch to third seat, I have to use the button beside my mousewheel, where I have Bio Rifle bound to, and then hit Z, my AR bind, when I want to drive again. Not having them in order is really confusing at times.

Also, the idea of fitting an Enter/Exit Vehicle key into my already crowded setup is not appealing to me.

Server: I just made the payment for September. It's due again the first week of October. I've been paying $10 per month for a 4-man private server from |HM|Viper. I had some complications paying him in September because I am a PayPal noob. If I have problems again in October, I may just cancel it since the Q4 demo will probably be out by then and the game itself comes out on the 11th of October, if I remember correctly.

Also, just because the server *may* be going down in October doesn't mean I won't still be playing-- the TAM thing is going to take four times longer than anybody ever realized because the planning is so bad. And, depending on how much time I have, I may join a 1v1 ladder to stay sharp for any local tournaments there are (the Association for Computing Machinery, a student organization at my college, holds LANs periodically and they usually have either UT2004 or Q3 1v1 tournaments attached to them).

Basically, I'm working on a lot of schoolwork and making a high-quality demo to send to record labels, and my remaining time is sucked down with the TAM thing and the sheer addictiveness of World of Warcraft. The time has to come from somewhere, and with Killerah going to BF2 (I presume-- he hasn't been around much), and you, Shagz, being more busy as well, the UT team is the most logical place to take it from.

I'll take us off the ladder now.

Last edited:
Ouch, sorry I haven't been around, school is not being nice to me, and I was out of town for 4 days since monday. It's really sad to see the team die like this, I still play UT2004 as often as I can, and it's still probably my favorite game. I've had a heck of a lot of fun playing with you guys, it was a total blast. Hopefully just because we're going off the ladder we won't stop playing scrims and stuff together. Either way, I will most likely be getting Quake 4 (and UT2007) when it comes out, I played some Quake 3 online and it seemed to be a bit easier than UT2004 to pick up and play, so that's good I guess. Also, I see you have BF2 now landslide, are you in the chapter or anything? Do you like it much? If so, we'll have to play together sometime.

I'm not in the chapter because I haven't bothered to ask to be added, and I primarily play it for LAN and also my brother (CyberNoodle) plays. I play it sometimes, though, I just have to do it in small increments because I get so sick of people not having microphones and not joining squads. They need to write a mod where being in a squad is not optional and not using a microphone will boot you.

And Q3's movement is incredibly deep, it just doesn't seem that way at first. In Q3, unlike UT2004, how and where you swing your mouse directly affects how you move. I'm up for a game of Q3 sometime if you want. I'm certainly no expert but I'll teach you whatever I know.

Yeah, it's sad we're off the ladder, but it's just the practical thing to do right now. And besides, the core of what made the team so awesome-- the people-- are all still here (except James... *sniff*) so the having-fun capacity of this chapter remains undiminished.

Last edited:
I'd love to do that sometime, except that I don't legally own the game so I don't like to play it. I am having a pretty hard time finding it anywhere except for online, I guess I'll have to break down and buy it at amazon.com sometime.

kraniac said:
ONS:
Changing vehicle positions in Onslaught should be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 keys. But it's not. It actually assigns the seat switchings to whatever you have your Shield Gun, Assault Rifle, Bio Rifle, Shock Rifle, Link Gun assigned to. So the seat switchings are only 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 IF you use the wretched, default weapon switching keys. For me, I have to think through my weapon binds every time I want to switch seats. For instance, if I get in a Hellbender, and I can't get a second guy to gun, I can still drive around and then switch to gunner when I see somebody to kill, right? So when I want to switch to third seat, I have to use the button beside my mousewheel, where I have Bio Rifle bound to, and then hit Z, my AR bind, when I want to drive again. Not having them in order is really confusing at times.
What about setting up multiple bind profiles? I have two different sets of binds for in-game communications for TDM and for ONS. I switch back and forth between the reassignments by typing "exec ONS_binds.txt" or "exec TDM_binds.txt" in the command line. So for TDM you could have your weapon binds, but switch to vanilla or some set of bindings that makes more sense in ONS w/ re: to the driver positions.

THERE'S an idea I haven't thought of. That would at least enable me to play both gametypes, although the idea of having different weapon binds for different modes is not exactly appealing, either...

I'll see if I can't set up an executable default config.

Here's my binds if you're looking for some ideas. They're all related to communication. I do some pretty cool stuff with the num pad too. Hit the numpad to say "Attack/Defend Node #", where # is the number on the numbpad I hit. Then I've got a bind for when I hold down the right arrow, it swaps the numbpad binds so that when I hit a number it says "I've got Node #" instead.

The game kinda freezes for a bit when you hit the arrow key as it applies the new bindings but it's pretty useful. I also use the = and - keys to swap from offense to defense communications.

Back