TDM Competition Team: Match v. [404]

kraniac

We've been challenged by [404] Team Not Found. The dates set are:

Friday, February 4, 2005, 9:00 PM
Sunday, February 6, 2005, 8:30 PM.

The first and third maps are DM-Campgrounds-2004-G1E. They will select a time from those two options, and select a second map.

It should be a good match.

Spectators are disallowed unless the other team agrees. I've asked for two spectators, which will be the other two members of the team. I'll see how they respond to that request before asking for any more. The likelihood of getting to watch it live is 50/50 for the non-participating team members and small for non-team members. However, I will be recording demos and I'll make sure my teammate does also.

Oh, and the match is on Sunday, February 6, 2005, at 8:30 PM EST. The maps are:

DM-Campgrounds2004-G1E
DM-Rankin
DM-Campgrounds2004-G1E

The server it will be played on is still being decided. I'll post here (if I can) once that is finalized.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kraniac @ Jan. 31 2005,7:17)]The likelihood of getting to watch it live is 50/50 for the non-participating team members and small for non-team members. However, I will be recording demos and I'll make sure my teammate does also.
Alrighty, sounds good. I've watched a few live matches and many demos and must say there's a remarkable difference between the two BUT I'll be quite thrilled with just a demo.

It looks like we'll probably be playing it on their server, so I'm going to ask about the possibility of a server-side demo, which will be much more like spectating because you can switch between players.

If not, you can always listen to TeamSpeak and watch the server scoreboard on the in-game browser.

Match is finished, here are the essentials:

First map: DM-Campgrounds-G1E. 44-2 for Team Not Found. [toj.cc]James' first time ever playing a competitive 2v2. Like every first-timer, he felt overwhelmed. However, he did much better than I did my first time, and he shows a lot of promise. James, buddy, you're over the worst of it-- it only gets easier from here.

Second map: DM-Rankin. 49-25 for Team Not Found. [toj.cc]Killerah and I have a lot of experience working together, and that fact combined with the obviously large amounts of practice he's been putting in gave us a much stronger showing here. Now if only we could time that vexing damage amp with better accuracy...

Demos for both maps are here. I forgot to record the first few minutes of the first match, sorry.

Yay, I finally got a password! ;)

Yes indeed I am shamed by those results... I had a few things working against me: nerves combined with no warmup time come to mind the quickest (while everyone was warming-up, I was racing to get TS working :D ) however, even had none of those things occured I still wouldn't have done very well.

I was jumping like a newbie who just bought the game yesterday.

I am certain that I can do better then that, and I apologize again for that pititful performance.

P.S. Kraniac, you were very patient with my newbie-ness and I thank you for that. And I can't download any of the demos, I just receive a 404 error; is that supposed to be humor? :p

Don't apologize. 404 is a skilled group of people, and skill in public servers very rarely translates to skill in clan matches. I probably should have warned you that your first few times can be very rough. My first match in CyB against NCG ended with my illustrious score of -4 kills, 31 deaths.

You may have been playing on the wrong servers. You have to play with people better than you to get better. Here are some that I reccommend:

#lastrights .1v1. ut2004://69.93.197.184:7777
3spn.com ArenaMaster ut2004://66.150.107.156:7777
3spn.com Team ArenaMaster ut2004://66.150.107.157:7777
::LOB:: Clan Public 1v1 ut2004://64.237.35.117:7777
[toj.cc] Tribe of Judah 2v2 TDM ut2004://69.28.220.97:7777
{dKc} Archon's Playground ut2004://67.19.1.163:7777
{dKc} Archon's Playground #2 ut2004://67.19.1.165:7777
{dKc} Full Spectrum Team ArenaMaster ut2004://67.19.1.166:7777
{dKc} The Experience ut2004://67.19.1.162:7777
Figment's Mojo Server ut2004://66.208.105.243:7777
Liandri.com Team ArenaMaster Clan Server ut2004://69.31.96.183:7777
Liandri.com 1v1 ut2004://69.31.96.187:7777
The Factory TDM ut2004://216.151.95.137:7777
::LOB:: The Fractionary ut2004://64.237.35.119:7777
«c» Unpara11e1ed.1v1 ut2004://38.118.161.198:7877

In general, it's best to stay away from servers that aren't running UTComp. Getting used to playing with hitsounds and brightskins will be one thing that can help you. It also provides handy features such as muting the sound of your own footsteps so you can hear those of others. If you don't like the standard teammate/blue and enemy/red brightskins, you should change them. I use teammate/pink (green slider all the way down, others all the way up) and enemy/green (red and blue slider all the way down, green all the way up). I use those colours because there is very rarely any maps that use those colours.

Oh, and I fixed the link on the demo page. Sorry, it was a typographical error. I write those pages in the new state-of-the-art version of Notepad.

Hey all keep an eye out for Jesus_Freak and Amy-Joe they just joined the UT chapter. I 've invited them to the forum.

Sorry I wasn't around for this guys, I got dragged to a superbowl thing. And don't worry about it James, just follow the course and don't give up. Play the best people that you can play making sure to use autodemo in UTComp. Watch those demos and find out where you are going wrong. Sometimes you can see the exact moment where a match turns. You will also be able to pick out behaviours in your play style that are hurting you. Sometimes the match is over before it starts, but that is ok as long as you learn...like the other night when [404] played continuance :D (We knew we would lose, but we did it for the experience). I have played some 1v1's where I was almost afraid to pick anything up because my opponent would know where I was instantly :p . It takes alot of getting beat to learn how to play really well (my boys constantly beat on me :D) Another thing you can do is to have kraniac (or someone else) critique your demo. This is not too much fun because it is humbling, but it will make you a better player if you take the advice given and apply it. Wow did I write all that? :p Anyhoo.....hit us up for scrims if you want to:

irc.enterthegame.com #404
http://404.aspiretechnologies.net/

I am usually around Tues and Thurs nights...stop by and say hello.

Lates

Wow, Chameleon, I'm impressed-- it's pleasantly surprising to see a clan help us out for no reason other than general goodwill. We may take you up on that scrim offer someday soon. Much respect and many thanks.

Hey guys, It's me dudedude, I just decided to leave my beloved post count behind and move to my new name. Anyway, I have a demo of the match, but I don't think I have anywhere to upload it (and it's got a HUGE amount of warmup footage). But yeah, I had a heck of a lot of fun playing against you 404ers, you're nice folks and I hope we end up playing you again sometime. I'm gonna add those servers to my favorites this weekend Krain. I probably have some of them, but I don't often play on servers with UTcomp like you said to, I'll have to do so.

Back