Sunday October 4th, 2009 A perverse tongue...

the_great_eskimo_pie

Former Official Thread Killer
Cross posted on the GFC Chapter a Day Bible Challenge and on my blog

Proverbs 4:24 said:
24. Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips.

Have you ever had one of those days where everything has hit the ceiling and you just can't take it anymore? Then, seemingly unbidden a word, some of the vilest you know, leaps to your tongue. And then you utter it...

Why does it happen? You're not trying to swear/cuss, but there it is. Right on the tip of your tongue.

Its your mindset. Think about it. Our world is inundated with language that is unbecoming. From TV shows to video games to movies to books.

So then, how does that affect you? Well, you hear and see these words used all the time. So you have them in your head within your vocabulary. Your mindset is "When people get frustrated, they tend to use these words" So when a stressful or tough situation comes up, your mind reacts to the, please excuse the term, garbage, you have seen or heard, and those words bubble forth. (A lot like Pavlovian psycho babble I know)

I'm not here to judge you or what you read or watch. I'm hoping to make you more aware of the mindset we all can get into. I'm as guilty as anyone. Perversion has touched my lips (I have swore, repented of it, but I have done it) We need to keep it far from us.

So maybe next time your watching that movie and the main "good guy" character swears for the 3rd time, maybe you should shut it off.

I remember reading about a young man a while back that stated "If a movie has more than 5 bad words in it, I will shut it off and not watch it." (I'm paraphrasing, and for the life of me I cannot remember his name)

I have found other people who feel the same way

Remember Matthew 15:18
Matthew 15:18 said:
But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.'

If you say it, it means you let it in your heart.

Food for thought...

Last edited:
Back