Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 1 Corinthians 1:18

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
For to those who are perishing the message of the cross is foolishness, but to us who are being saved it is God's power.
1 Corinthians 1:18, HCSB

Next Sunday is Easter, the celebration of Christ's resurrection. I felt this verse is appropriate for meditating on the "message of the cross" individually as we prepare to worship and celebrate corporately next Sunday.

Two phrases in this verse immediately catch my attention:

"The message of the cross is foolishness" to the lost. Those opposed to Christianity dismiss the resurrection of Christ on which our faith is founded. Many non-Christians concede that Jesus lived, that he was a good man, and that he was a good teacher. But they deny that Jesus died and rose again. Scripture is filled with commands and stories that are difficult and uncomfortable; people dismiss Scripture as "foolishness," the Gospels especially, in response.

"To us who are being saved." I find the tense of the verb in this sentence interesting. Paul does not say the Corinthians "were" saved, nor does he say that they "will be" saved. He says they "are being" saved and the distinction is an important one. Too often, we view our faith as past (accepting Christ as savior) or future (physical death and spending eternity in heaven) rather than a present and ongoing process.

Rather than consider ourselves already complete or procrastinating our service to Christ, let us begin (or continue) serving Him immediately and persist as long as we have breath. Let Christ's example in serving until His death, in His death, and after His resurrection set the standard for our service to God.

Amen - it was Paul who said that we were to "continue to work out" our salvation (Phil. 2:12). Thanks for a great verse to ponder this week.

Tek said:
Many non-Christians concede that Jesus lived, that he was a good man, and that he was a good teacher. But they deny that Jesus died and rose again. Scripture is filled with commands and stories that are difficult and uncomfortable; people dismiss Scripture as "foolishness," the Gospels especially, in response.

First off, thanks for the great verse to start Passion Week.

But I found your commentary interesting. CS Lewis wrote it far more eloquently that I ever could. I believe it was in Mere Christianity that he made his statement regarding what I've quoted.

Basically, Lewis said that we cannot truthfully claim that Jesus was a good teacher and deny His divinity. To make the claims that Jesus makes about Himself and His Kingdom, you cannot be both a good teacher and wrong about being God.

He also alluded to the idea that Jesus performed many miracles and wielded supernatural power. He either was more than just a "good man" or else He was a fiend of Hell.

It's amazing to me all the illogical hoops that people will jump through to ignore Jesus, and simultaneously call us foolish.

CS Lewis wrote it far more eloquently that I ever could. I believe it was in Mere Christianity that he made his statement regarding what I've quoted.

Basically, Lewis said that we cannot truthfully claim that Jesus was a good teacher and deny His divinity. To make the claims that Jesus makes about Himself and His Kingdom, you cannot be both a good teacher and wrong about being God.
I wasn't consciously thinking of Lewis or Mere Christianity when I wrote the post, but it's highly likely that his work influenced the post (as well as many others).

I've said before that C.S. Lewis has already written everything I want to write and done it with more grace and skill than I ever could.

EDIT: Post #9900!

lol. congrats on 9900.

I'll have to go back and re-read some of Lewis' work when I get time. Last time I read it was right after I became a Christian and I had a hard time keeping up with a lot of what he said. But at the time, I probably was only ready for Spiritual Milk... not Meat.

Back