Stephen F. Roberts quote

Dark Virtue

This is a quote I'm sure you've all seen at one point in time, I'm sure I've used it as my sig before.

Can I get your take on it?

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Dark Virtue said:
This is a quote I'm sure you've all seen at one point in time, I'm sure I've used it as my sig before.

Can I get your take on it?

I do understand why you dismiss mine. No need for the quote.

So there's no logical reason for ANY of your beliefs?

Well then, I guess my time here is at an end then. What more can I say to that?

Sorry, been there, done that. All I found was...nothing.

I'll just stick with using the blob of grey matter between my ears.

Logic is failure.....

There is no system that is completely logical.

To base your life on logic is to fail to love, care or have any form of emotion.

Lack of logic is not a reason to dismiss a belief system.

I reject all other gods for one simple reason. My God came down to reconcile Himself with me. It is not about what I can do. It is about what God has done for me. Any relegion that requires man to bridge the gap between himself and god, I reject.

I do realize this means I would reject some christian faiths. But that is illogical.....

Dark Virtue said:
Care to explain the rest? Like why/how you dismiss all other possible gods?

Because the God that I know has told me to dismiss them. They do not exist.

The part of the equation that you do not understand is that my God has proven himself to me beyond a doubt. In my own case logic dictates that I beleive in Christ.

I cannot show you external logic that will convince you. God must do that, and I pray that he will.

Even without my personal relationship with Christ, through the use of deductive reasoning and logic I have come to the conclusion that there absolutely had to be a designer.

And through MY deductive reasoning, I have come to the conclusion that there is not enough evidence to support belief in a God.

Every post in this thread is a nail in the coffin for me here. Seriously, why continue any discussion when it just comes down to a series of personal beliefs that can't be shared with anyone else? There's just no point.

What about this quote

Good Judgement come from experince
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Just concluding off of what HCS said....

Logically speaking the same goes for our heavenly Father. he is going to allow things to happen either to teach unbelievers a lesson or to show us as believers soemthing we need to know.

Was there alot of unbelievers in new orleans. And y does god have to show unbelieversa lesson, we're ants to him. Y should he care if an ant doesn't believe in him. And if he really wants us to believe, wouldn't showing himself make us believe.
For quotes:
Gods just a kid with a magnifying glass, playing over a ant hill.

Gandhi said:
Was there alot of unbelievers in new orleans. And y does god have to show unbelieversa lesson, we're ants to him. Y should he care if an ant doesn't believe in him. And if he really wants us to believe, wouldn't showing himself make us believe.
For quotes:
Gods just a kid with a magnifying glass, playing over a ant hill.

It says that when a a bad person dies the God cries, you saying he doesn't care is just being ignorant. God cares about every single person on Earth and when He allows this stuff to happen to get peoples attention and help them see that He is real and He is the one and only God.

How are natural disasters supposed to prove God's existence Phantom? Especially since the image you are trying to project is of a loving God.

Dark Virtue said:
Every post in this thread is a nail in the coffin for me here. Seriously, why continue any discussion when it just comes down to a series of personal beliefs that can't be shared with anyone else? There's just no point.
Your first statement really concerns me. If any of us felt we were truly pushing you further away I think we would all stop posting. That is quite contrary to what we would prayerfully hope for you. The Bible says:

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17
We attempt to show you God and to give you our beliefs from the heart. The whys of what we believe. I wish that this could be enough for you, as it is for us.

From the verses above you see that to come to God you must believe that He is and to have faith, you must be hearing the Word of God. God can grant you anything, but He is the One to ask.

And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. Mark 9:24
This is a heartfelt cry of someone that needed to believe further. Perhaps this could help you, too. I believe that all here pray that you and those that do not believe will come to the LORD. I think our hearts echo a quote from one of my favorite saints of this generation that said, "Don't give up on them until they have been dead for three days!" While tongue in cheek, the sentiment is very much understood by anyone that has ever longed for someone to come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

If I push you further away from God DV, I will never post again.

Ack, don't do that Marcy, this is YOUR community after all, not mine.

No one is pushing me away from God since I wasn't close to believing anyway.

Originally Posted by Dark Virtue
"Every post in this thread is a nail in the coffin for me here. Seriously, why continue any discussion when it just comes down to a series of personal beliefs that can't be shared with anyone else? There's just no point."

Because we try for a reason.

One of the things to consider about the personal stories of our interactions with our Lord really solidify one of the core principles of Christianity (not Denominationality). We strive to have a personal relationship with the Lord. To not only be His servant but to be His friend. These interactions are a reflection of that.

I have given some consideration to the quote listed in the opening post and must answer back with this. I can understand where he is coming from, I just don't agree with it in the slightest. Pretty insightful way of describing it though.

Gen

p.s. again, I may be asking this from the sleep deprivation I seem to be living, but DV, can you please explain you sig about the fossils. It just doesn't make any sense

Lewis Black is a comedian...ugh, I think I'll just change it, the humor is lost if you don't know who he is :)

As far as the OP quote goes, would you mind explaining WHY you don't agree with it?

You cite personal experience as the basis for your belief, but I contend that people have had "personal experience" with gods that you dismiss. How can you dismiss them when those people use the same explanation as you do for belief?

You may think Zeus is silly, but there was a time that people prayed to him, and believed he interacted with them.

Back