Steampipe preparations you may want to make

The Mighty Gerbil

Tribe of Judah TF 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Admin
Staff member
This page has some information for the TF2 update scheduled for Tuesday. Most notably if you don't have 15 gigs free you may want to make the space.

Q. Will I have to download the entire game again?

No. A one-time conversion process will occur, which will take a bit longer than the usual download. You should expect your computer to do a lot of disk work, and you will need enough free hard drive space for about two full copies of the game. (For TF, around 15GB free is recommended.)

With SteamPipe, the shared Source engine files are no longer shared between games. So if you have multiple Source engine games installed, the size of disk will increase by a few GB.

Not sure if it is actually "needed" given Valve's really low key warning to everyone. It may just make the conversion process faster IDK. Also if you have any custom TF2 content you may have to move it to a different folder after the update to get it to work. Perhaps back up custom content just in case, IDK?

Not sure what, if anything, it means to custom models/textures for maps as most of that is within the map file. I'm not looking forward to another technical problem holding up my maps.

I've got to read up on it more later. Some servers operators reported some tick loss recently which may or may not have been part of our server's problem last week. I never opted into the Steampipe beta but until the Valve updates are implemented (and without bugs) it seems pointless to complain to Gameservers. The answer will be "it's the Valve updates" for the next few weeks and they will probably be right given past updates.

On a side note "robocrates" have been dropping. Make what of it you will. Hopefully it will be more than a new crate.

Last edited:
Tuesday. Why did it have to be Tuesday?

...Wait, haven't I used that Indiana Jones reference before?

Jokes aside, I'll try to remember to launch Steam after I get home on Tuesday but well before the game night starts. Having TF2 installed on a SSD should make for a quick upgrade (I hope).

Steampipe has hit start up TF2 to get it updating. Also I've put up a newer version of cp_boomtown . I'm still working on the lighting and many other technical problems but the only gameplay effecting problem on it, at least I had time to find, is a board on the ground in the cavern that can stop you. It should be playable now unless Steampipe does something so you many want to pre-download it (although I think the folder you put it in changes to downloads?).

Mailing list mentions some other servers having to crash once on startup after the update then generating a needed file and being fine. I reset our server at the same time so...

30 minutes of updating so far with the percentage at 49. It's now 8:30 so I will be a little late to our game night.

Last edited:
In spite of the Steampipe delays (and yet another failed last minute error keeping Boomtown from functioning XD) we seemed to have a good game night with some core players showing up. Thanks all!

On another note Steampipe also messed up the source SDK like I thought it would (which is why I tried to get a working map out before it released). So now I have another thing to fix before I can fix Boomtown, yay.

Last edited:
Back