Stats vs. levels.

Odale

Right now popoki has 640 strength (I go out of my way to stack strength) and a little over 400 wounds.

Where should my wounds be at?

I die rather fast if I am not careful.

It is a toss up as it can differ from pug to pug in scenarios. Meaning you can stack strength and get a destro pug that will ignore you long enough to take out a squishy or two and the next destro pug will focus fire anyone that goes past the skirmish line negating any opportunity to open up on a target.

Really should have a couple of sets that you can change depending on the need.

It is hard to get heals as a WL in pugs. To often ignored for tanks and BWs and to easy to extend healer range going after that choice squishy behind the lines.

What about Weapon skill vs. Strength? Have y'all noticed a significant difference with one over the other?

I have not been stacking (or collecting, really) weapon skill. If an item has weap skill on it and it has strength then great, if not I am not worrying with it.

According to Ilya, weapon skill does not increase damage output, so I am not really worrying over it at the moment.

I do carry around some items that have lots of wounds on them, but usually that's it... just wounds and nothing else.

The order of importance for me is Strength, with a close second to Wounds and then weapon skill.

When I get home I will post what my wounds are at with my wounds gear on. I don't want to lose much strength though.

Weapon skill negates armor and that is only high on tanks and melee DPS. WLs should be focusing on healers and ranged DPS over tanks and melee DPS. Strength makes for strong damage on light armor classes. I like to gear Strength > Weapon Skill > Wounds > Resists. Toughness and Initiatve are meh unless you want a low damage highly survivable WL. Ballistic, Intelligence and Willpower should be ignored.

What I don't get is all the set gear has a mix of all stats which makes the gear really lackluster outside of the set bonuses.

Ilya here, and I am hoping to answer your question as best I can.
NOTE: Seems you have to be logged in to see the images of my post...
First of all, my stats ->
picture.php

718 Strength (adds to DPS of auto attack and abilities)
361 Weapon Skill (adds to percentage of armor ignored when attacking)
609 Wounds (your health = this times 10)
174 Toughness (adds to percentage of damage reduction on incoming attacks)

So Popoki, your wounds seem about right, if you are focusing on strength exclusively.
But ask yourself, what is more important, +25 wounds or + 20 Strength? What is your focus? Sounds like Strength in your post.

I have recently done some testing with my Rank 40 White Lion.

I get more damage from the any one of the following three tactics:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Than I do out of out of:
picture.php

Why is that? Because even 160 Strength is only + 16 DPS to auto attack / + 8 DPS to all abilities. Where as the other 3 tactics, if you crunch the numbers, do so much more!

I know Loner is not available until Rank 33, and Tearing Blades is not available until Rank 37, and Pack Hunting requires specking up the hunting tree.

The POINT is that although Strength is your primary DPS stat, there are other ways to get high DPS.
And if you want to survive for more than 5 seconds to focus fire, you need to concentrate more on Wounds and Toughness.
But even doing that will only get you a few extra seconds.

Melee DPS dies a lot. If I made a video of all the times I have died since I hit Rank 40, it would probably be a VERY long video. It is just part of being a melee DPS.
We get in melee range to do our job, usually resulting in us getting targeted by 1-5 people, which almost always results in us dying.

I guess it comes down to your play style. I personally like to just churn out the numbers myself, but my survivability is laughable.
Try a Wounds/Toughness heavy set of gear if you can get your hands on it, and see if you like it better.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Does the pet do more than an additional 25% damage now with 1.6 out?

It would be nice to not have to call a pet out, but if it does more than 25% of my damage, then why not use Brute Force?

You will need to test out what the pet damage is.
Find some mobs, kill a lot and write down the numbers.
That is basically what I do.

Even if the Lion is say, 30% DPS (5 more than Loner), it still has an absurdly low amount of Health at level 40.
Lions just do not scale very well past T3.
Hence, the Lion will get killed long before its damage can be dealt.

With Loner, you die, your damage dies.
With a pet, your pet dies, your damage drops, and you continue on.

I don't know what level you are, but in T4, I found it neccessary to stack up to at least 650 wounds with a WH. Right now I'm sitting at around 7780 health and 729 strength if I remember right.

Weaponskill is really only worthwhile if you take it for the parry. The armor penetration doesn't work how a lot of people think it does.

If a tank has 50% damage reduction from armor, and you have 20% armor penetration, you will only be doing 20% penetration of that 50%, so you are bringing the damage reduction of the tank down to 40%, instead of 30%.

I dont usually find myself railing on tanks, just Sorcs, WE's, Zealots, DoK's, Squig Herder... you get the idea.

Anything but tanks and heavily armored DPS.

Back