Some Advice Please

Counselor

Hello, I'm Kim, Bret's wife, Tc most of you know him as. Our son Ryan has really taken a liking to this game. When Bret is not on it, my son and I play. Ryan really liked the Warlock character but no offense to others, I just had some trouble with it so I had hubby delete it. Bret then made us a Priest and while I enjoy it, Ryan says it is too wimpy. I want one my son and I (and hubby now and then) will play. Any suggestions?

For power, go with the pally.
For flexibility, go with the druid (but expect to spend most of your life more wimpy then a priest)
For ownage, go with a rogue (but remember that you need the priest to stay alive)
For brute strength go warrior.
For solo fun, go hunter.
For displays of awesome might, go mage (but keep your distance).

Choose, what you want, and go with that.
(And I know, I didn't answer your question)

It depends on the style of play, if you solo alot, either a hunter or pally are best. If you want to deal some serious damage and be the main tank, go warrior. If you party up with a healer, go rogue or mage for some serious damage. Unfortunately Mages do not solo well and neither do rogues compared to plate armour like the pally and warrior class.

hope i am not too late.

I play WoW (alot) i was in the CB as a dwarf mage(man i miss that) anyway

Mage is awesome at solo i can solo mobs up to +3 lvl pretty easily as a fire mage, if you want to be able to survive longer with a mage you go frost. mages are nice too because they can make their own food/water, they can teleport to all the major cities after lvl 40 (i think they get teleport to IF/SW at like lvl 20 and darna at 30 while portal IF/SW is 40 and darna is 50) really good crowd controll with polly and frost nova. you can do mecca dmg from far off and as they mob gets close you can frost nova and blink away ect. many builds and fun here in my oppion (mine is lvl 60 gnome)
mages are more of a ranged class of course, they are pretty easy to play see a mob you want to kill and start fireing away when it gets close frost nova, you can usually take 2-4 monsters of equal lvl before needing to rest, but you can make all your own water/food so it saves on money ALOT! plus in the higher lvls they can move around the world almost instantly i keep my hearth in tanaris and i can be to just about any zone in less than 5 mins.

Paladins are really fun low level in my oppion but now at 46 the luster has really worn off, paladins can not hold aggro for a lick in an instances basicly sure you can go as the tank but if someone else pulls aggro all you can do is stun and hope the mob dies.
sure you can heal yourself but it does usually take over a min now to kill mobs ( and ihave some of the best +stats/armor and weapon avaliable) (using thrash blade right now). like i said it was fun up to lvl 20, then from about 20-30 i loved it i had vergins fist (guild help me get it at lvl 20) i was doing insane dmg and so forth around lvl 30 it becomes about normal dmg for a 2handed weapon. paladins do solo decently but they take about 30s-1.5mins to kill a single mob (this is being a retri paladin using SoC) almost no down time, with blessing of wisdom, and seal of wisdom a paladin can restore all his mana, and keep himself used, i solo with Blessing of wisdom on me and Seal of crusader as my seal and never run out of mana.

Priests
Ok if your hubby says they dont have power umm i dont want to offend him but he is less than smart. priest are the best 1v1 in PVP (best is UD priest 2nd by Dwarf IMO )
most priest go shadow spec the early lvls from about 6-15ish you struggle with mana. but once you have spirit tap all is nice. priests usually NEVER have a hard time finding an instances or group for elite quests when they need them. priest can heal themselves, and put a shield on that absorbs ALL dmg. just about any priest can beat my mage in a 1v1 battle because of the fact that they can heal, do decent dmg, absorb a full pyroblast basicly at lvl 60. i am loving my dwarf priest right now he is lvl 30 and will probably be the next charact i bring up to 60. takes a little bit more of a skill to play with but they solo very well and can usually go 3-6 mobs with out needing to drink back to full mana (at lvl 30)

Warrior
Played an NE 40 one in beta and have a human one right now lvl 8 they can do some decent dmg though since the taunt nerf and a few other things their dmg is not as high. they have about the same hp's as a paladin but can not heal themself (unless they take up firstaid) but they do kill faster than a paladin in the higher lvls. DPS class not really a hunter/rogue/mage/priest and maybe even a warlock can out dmg the warrior. though warriors too usually are kind of scarcy and they tend not to have a hard time finding instances. they can pull aggro off anyone with taunt or they can use an AoE taunt to pull it all onto them with a good priest they survive a long long time.
a very upfront class to play charge in most of the time and beat the monster to death though they down time will be bad with or without first aid if you pull too many monsters, and you have to eat food.

Rogue lvl 18
rogues are a very stealth class by nature high dodge rates. right now i can go about 10 monsters before needing to rest, very high crit chances so i can continually keep killing mobs and they have a nice skill (sprint) if too many pull you can run away quickly. also nice for long travel runs. take up firstaid and you can have almost 0 down time with this class, they are very twitch orientieed .

Hunter
brought one to lvl 12 and did not really like it so i deleted it ( i always deleted characters i dont plan to keep which is kinda dumb ^_^) they can solo well but low lvls they have a hard time because you do not get a pet till lvl 10 and then you have to train yourself and your pet, plus you have to use a bag slot for an ammo/quiver and you are always buying arrows/bullets which can get pretty expensive. hunters are not really wanted in an instance group because a mage/warrior/rogue can pull just as well, and rogues out DPS them. it is a fun class if you like the pet class but you have to balance out your damage to your pets aggro on the mob. also in instances pets are usually looked down on people dont like hunters using them usually.

i hope this helps you out in choosing a character i have played almost every class for a while except the warlock.

Hunters are one of the most fun characters to play, my 51 Hunter rocks. As for instances, it is due to a few poor hunters that got the rest of the class a bad name. Just last night, we did a loot run in Maraudon of the main bosses, two hunters (51,52), and two pallys (51,57) and it was great. We took them all. We had couple of wipes due to miscommunication but we took all the bosses except one, without any loss of the party. This was a party of 4, two of them hunters. Sorry LionOfJudah, I do not agree with your read. At level 51, my dps is averaging 230 - 250, with my pet attacking and me using my gun. Toss in traps and you can not do without a hunter in an instance in my opinion. I won't get started on Pally's but most of the comments regarding pally's and their effectiveness are largely due to those who have not played one to 60 or are still whining about Pally's free mount. I can generate threat to pull off most mobs but if some mage goes off firing their pyro and except to be ignored, they are dreaming. I should also clarify, my opinions are regarding the play within a Player versus Environment server not Player versus Player.

Last edited:
alot of my info is from PVE in beta and PVP in live i have used both

i stick pretty much with the hunter thing a good or bad hunter you never know what you will get so most people do not play them, and most paladins i have talked to on both illidan and stonemaul that are 60 when i asked them if i should lvl my paladin up to 60 their response is

sure if you have the time but iw ould lvl X character instead from lvl 1 instead you will be much happier ect.

hunter is a fun class but one mistake and you can get kicked out of a group, as for mara congrats doing it that well i have 3manned BFD with a 28 priest 33 rogue and a 31 mage. doing instances +5-10 lvls higher than most mobs does make it kinda easy, only trouble you guys should of had was probably on double gaints and princess.

230 dps sounds like alot for your lvl but a rogue is pushing 400 or so around 50 if they are decent from what i have heard and seen, my mage right now can push 300 DPS sustained not in a quick burst.

hunters are fun and i do enjoy playing them just not for me or my play style personally if you want to talk to a hunter go to the the ToJ boards and post in their WoW we have a 60 hunter in the guild named stoop i am sure he would be more than happy to talk to you about it.

I would have to back Hawk on the Pally thing. Especially when fighting undead, but as well with anything else, I can draw and hold all aggro on myself if my party is dying. This is largely due to researching the Retribution class, but none the less, I can draw aggro all on myself with AOE attacks. Pallys also have auras which come in really handy in groups.

LionOfJudah = LarryBoy? The ramifications of this can hardly be barely comprehended but the similiarities are too close to ignore. I suggest a full investigation be launched. We will need to strike up a formal panel which will then be mandated to develop sub committees to review this from each angle; legal, societal, biological, and botanical, from Late Latin root word botanicus. I will have my people call your people and we'll get to the bottom of this fiasco!

Well I think Priests rule, I will give you some numbers of what I see as I have spec'd and let you decide:

Talents(LVL58):
Shadow:31
Dis:8
Holy:10

All healing still has +10%, my renews +15%
All Shadow damage is increased by 25% (Shadow Form is another +15%)

I usually start out with Mind Blast which does 600+ normally and criticals for 1000+
I then do SW:pain which mine do 192 per 3 seconds and Vampiric Embrace (all instant casts, with a short cool down and I am walking back wards after the mind blast... instant casts can occur while walking)

I then renew myself, heals 202 every 3 seconds for 15 seconds
Or
Mind Flay them until they get to me... mind flay 172 damage per second on top of my SW:pain... which is healing me already even though I do not need it.

What does this buy me?
Perin: hits for 600 ish... he is running at me now (not happy about that)
Perin: SW:pain & Vampiric Embrace(heals everyone in my party) almost on me (both Instant Cast spells)

Perin: Renew(Instant)
OR -- I renew if he is on top of me by then, else mind flay
Perin: Mind Flay 172 each second until they are in melee range. = 516 dam
Perin: Renew(Instant)

Bad guy: Hits for 400 (I wear cloth so I see this at minimum)

Perin: Wand 120 damage (my attack)
Perin: Dagger 40 (cool, it gets in between my wand attacks)
Perin: SW:pain damage 192 (DOT)
Perin: Renew heals for 202 + 40 for VE = only 158 damage total to me

Bad guy: Hits for 400

Perin: SW:pain damage 192(DOT)
Perin: Renew heals for 202 + 40 for VE = only 158 damage total to me
Perin: Mind Blast(1.5 sec) for 600+ (My attack instead of wand)
Perin: Healed for 20% of Mind Blast damage= 120 healed

Bad guy: Hits for 450

Perin: SW:pain damage 192
Perin: Healed for 202 + 40 for VE = only 208 damage total to me
Perin: Mind Flay (My attack instead of wand, channeled) 172 per second, which heals 36 per second = 516 damage with 108 healed.

Summary:
Bad Guy has taken: 2968 damage
Perin taken: 1250 damage
Perin healed: 954 damage healed
Perin has: 296 damage total for this segment as I have around 3400 hp and around 4.5k of mana.

The above was not in shadow form... so only 25% damage increase, Shadow form is cool but you cannot use any healing spells such as renew but your VE is effective still... and your shadow damage is up 40% which actually does a whole lot of damage. This is against a level 60 Skel Lord non-elite... thankfully. Elites change everything and change the way you attack and heal.

For DPS... depends.
I see 250-275 often, I see burst dps of 500+ when nuking but cannot maintain it as the Mind Blast has a cooldown. When I wand dagger them with my Dot... around 150 dps.

I like this because I can heal for my party very well, but also solo when I need to. I rarely go into shadow form, but I am experimenting still with it... when in an instance I am always the healer and I avoid nuking and focus on healing... I use SW:pain, VE and wand... I Mind Flay targets that try to run for it, do not want adds to the battle and look for times to kill fast to get my spirit tap going.

Anyhow, I like this because it is balanced... I can heal and deal a fair bit of damage. A rogue will deal insane amounts of damage, but you better have a good healer :)

Druids.....

Druids are a character for the long haul.
I'm only starting to have a powerful character, and that's at level 40.
The glory of the druid is in its flexibility. I can be an effective tank, with high hp and armor, and with the ability to mass aggro enemies (I mean that in the middle of the battle, I can force all aggression on myself) and to do multi shot attacks.
I can be an effective healer, with in-combat rez, aoe regen, and 1 instant cast heal spell (of any size) every 3 minutes.
I can be an effective scout, because my rogue stealth abilities are BETTER than a rogues, although my damage is piddly in comparison.
I can be an effective ranged fighter, although much of my damage is DoT.
I can be an effective close combatant, combining my healing and DoT with the dagger, mace, and staff.

I have put all my talents into "Restoration", resulting in:

1. Non-interuptable healing spells, with an instant cast 1/3min. Note that combat rez is a healing spell. So I can instantly rez even IN combat.
2. Low cost healing spells. (-10% mana cost)
3. Instant cast Entangling roots 1/3min (great for pvp!!)
4. 5% Hp regen and 10% Mana regen IN combat (and when casting)
5. 1/6min I can cast a spell which gives 5x Mana regen or 1x Mana regen when casting. It's free, so it basically eliminates drinking binges in dungeons.

Typical fighting:

1. Aggro with starfire for 288 damage.
2. Hit with moonfire for 101 damage (instant spell :) )
3. Cast rejuvenation on self
4. smack with staff, rejuvenation heals DoT 100 every 3sec, Moonfire deals DoT 55 every 3 sec.
5. after 12 sec, cast Moonfire & rejuvenation again. return to smack.
6. If the target was Elite or roguish, use Faerie Fire early in the battle, before smack. This reduces the target's armor, and makes it unable to stealth or vanish.

This combat method is a bit slow, but with it I have soloed Elites of equal level to my self.

Note that the different druid builds, whether Balance, Feral, or Restoration, all have a lot to offer for other roles than just maging, running arround as a fuzzy animal, or healing. My Restoration Druid is actually quite good at any role you give it, except maybe maging.

You know...I play this game called WoW and the last two posts I hardly understood...think I need to read the language manual before I read them again :p

me and larry boy looking alike is a pure cowincadence. i am in now way shape or form related to him, even though canadian read heads rock! =( though if i look like larry boy does that mean larry boy looks like me? hmmm the possiblities are endless, hey larry want to go to class for me =P

I really don't think you want Larry to go to class for you... there has been 'incidents' in the past when we let him out we would rather not have repeated. *shudder*

Back