So are you all up for trying out the CGA Mumble Server?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Mumble is a voice chat client, like Ventrilo or TeamSpeak.

To my untrained ear, Mumble features audio quality on par with TeamSpeak.

Mumble also features some neat overlays for popular online PC games.

You can download the Mumble client here.

The address for the Christian Gamers Alliance Mumble Server is cgalliance.org, default port.

If guild leadership wants more channels created for the Minecraft chapter, please send the relevant information in a PM to Joshinator, the CGA Mumble Server Operator, and copy me on the PM.

Mumble represents our best shot at One Voice Chat Server To Rule Them All.

I think that covers the basics. So what do you all say? Are you willing to give Mumble a try? I'm not asking anyone to switch from TS to Mumble right away; I'm just asking you all to try it out and think about it.

I'm game to give it a try.

Well ... not running through the woods being chased by a rabid hunter kind of game ... but I'm game none-the-less!

I tried it and liked it. I'll try to remember to give it a go again when I'm voice-chat ready. :)

I was on it before, when people first started talking about it, but no one else was on, so couldnt test it very much.

Just got it set up on my desktop, and when I try and connect, its asking for a password for registered users?

no password needed, however you can self register and set a password if you want to keep your name reserved.

Hmm, then I must have self registered, and typo'd the password :( It none of the ones I would use.. Maybe I can msg Joshinator and get it reset?

Okkk I got it downloaded and was on it. If I'm on Minecraft - I'll give it a try. :D

So what are your thoughts so far, folks?

I was able to get in again today, so thats a plus :D Maybe it had to do with me registering on my laptop, and then install it on my desktop? Certificates and all that..

It doesn't look like Minecraft has native support, but there is a plugin out there that will allow you to get the Directional and positionally attenuated VOIP in relation to the game world feature that seems so cool..

The mod can be found here: MOD_MUMBLELINK

It doesnt look like it has been updated for 1.2.3 yet, but I will watch out for it, and post when its released. :)

On a side note, will we be getting the same level of permissions over our channels as we do in TS? :)

I was able to get in again today, so thats a plus :D Maybe it had to do with me registering on my laptop, and then install it on my desktop? Certificates and all that..
Yes, that would definitely factor in. I believe you can back up and install the certificate to multiple PCs, but I've just used different usernames on different PCs (e.g. Tek7, Tek7@Desktop) when using Mumble. I would recommend importing your certificate from one computer to the next, though.

It doesn't look like Minecraft has native support, but there is a plugin out there that will allow you to get the Directional and positionally attenuated VOIP in relation to the game world feature that seems so cool..

The mod can be found here: MOD_MUMBLELINK

It doesnt look like it has been updated for 1.2.3 yet, but I will watch out for it, and post when its released. :)
Oo, that sounds rather cool.

On a side note, will we be getting the same level of permissions over our channels as we do in TS? :)
Yes. Please send a PM to Joshinator with any Mumble-related requests (including channel moderator rights) and copy me on the PM.

msg sent. I am on it right now, and it seems to be working.. :) The list will take a little getting used to.. It lists the users of the main channel at the bottom, even if there are sub-channels, so it makes it look like you are in the sub-channel.. :)

Any updates on this? Thoughts? Opinions?

Honestly, I am not sure that we (the Minecraft Chapter) have a large enough player base to justify making the decision. I know when I first started playing, we had users on almost everyday, myself included, but when the troubles started, we had players drop off, and there were many days that I was alone in the Minecraft section of the TS server.. I would love to see that change, and maybe organize a "play night" where we all get on, and are able to play, then I would ask them to be in which ever server we use..

For my vote though, I would vote Mumble, if only for the ability to use the add-ons to integrate it into the game :)

Honestly, I am not sure that we (the Minecraft Chapter) have a large enough player base to justify making the decision. I know when I first started playing, we had users on almost everyday, myself included, but when the troubles started, we had players drop off, and there were many days that I was alone in the Minecraft section of the TS server.. I would love to see that change, and maybe organize a "play night" where we all get on, and are able to play, then I would ask them to be in which ever server we use..

For my vote though, I would vote Mumble, if only for the ability to use the add-ons to integrate it into the game :)
It's up to you. Again, each chapter leader or guild leader speaks for his or her own chapter or guild. The Left 4 Dead Chapter may choose the CGA Mumble Server while the Guild Wars Chapter opts for TeamSpeak. In that case, we'd remove the L4D channels from the TS server and the GW channels from the Mumble server. Make sense?

Let me know what you decide on behalf of the Minecraft chapter and I'll ask Joshinator to make the changes.

Back