So are you all up for trying out the CGA Mumble Server?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Mumble is a voice chat client, like Ventrilo or TeamSpeak.

To my untrained ear, Mumble features audio quality on par with TeamSpeak.

Mumble also features some neat overlays for popular online PC games.

You can download the Mumble client here.

The address for the Christian Gamers Alliance Mumble Server is cgalliance.org, default port.

If guild leadership wants more channels created for SoE/SOE, please send the relevant information in a PM to Joshinator, the CGA Mumble Server Operator, and copy me on the PM.

Mumble represents our best shot at One Voice Chat Server To Rule Them All.

I think that covers the basics. So what do you all say? Are you willing to give Mumble a try? I'm not asking anyone to switch from TS to Mumble right away; I'm just asking you all to try it out and think about it.

Just don't mumble on Mumble.. :p

Let me know guys if this is something you want to switch over to and we can let Tek know.

Mumble has become my favorite voice service. I was introduced to it via the SWTOR chapters and love it. It's much, much better than Ventrilo. I like TS3 as well, but found Mumble easier to set up. The new Mumble server already has channels for most (if not all) of the ToJ chapters, as well as some CGA channels. Guild Wars has several channels.

Easy to set up is not how Raven and I would put it. Also the lack of a volume control is giving Raven a real problem. Blue and I used it with no problems one night, but Raven says I am way too loud, and there seems to be no cure for that. I have tinkered endlessly with the settings and Raven says I am still too loud. Set up has been very, very difficult for both of us.

You used the audio wizard and read it closely for what it is asking, correct? Is your voice is staying in the green when you use the audio wizard?

The lack of volume control is on purpose.

Last edited:
If you want to get on tonight Ursen and work on it I am available after 8pm PST. I have been using mumble for almost a year now and think its head and shoulders above the rest of the voice clients. Maybe I can help with the output issue.

I've tried mumble a few times but the lack of a volume control is making it unusable at all for me currently.

I have the master volume on my PC turned wayyyyy down, so far down that I can no longer hear and sound from my games but the voices on mumble are so loud that i can set my headphones on the desk and still hear people talking. With the headphones on, it's so loud that my ears physically hurt.

Sorry, but i won't be using mumble if a solution can't be found. I did try to mess with the audio wizard but it's awkward, my own voice is so loud in the wizard that i just tried to get out of it as soon as possible. I tried to turn it down but the only control I saw was the slider bar and no matter where I moved it, it was the same.

From reading the Mumble guide, it looks like you should be able to make some overall adjustments if everyone is coming across as too loud. There is also a FAQ, but it doesn't address your issue.

The guide states that if you make configuration changes, you have to exit and restart Mumble for the changes to take effect.

I'll try to get on Mumble later and see if I can apply some of the suggestions in the guide.

I am willing to help Monday night as well. The problem is not mumble, it is clearly your pc. If you are moving sliders and nothing is happening there is an issue with your default devices. There are some easy ways to remedy this, I can walk you through it over the phone or remote control your pc and fix it for you if you like.

You should have full control of mumble volume independent of the master volume of the pc. You should be able to change the games volume independent of mumble, what you are describing is a pc issue that we can troubleshoot and fix, if you are willing.

Last edited:
Ok, that sounds good. We can get on teamspeak together and you can talk me thru the settings that i need to look at. That's basically what Ursen and I did and we just muted each other in TS when we needed to test mumble.

I agree with you that it's most likely something in my PC. I have the same problem with games on pogo.com. The volume in them is so loud that i have to disable sound on the site or take off my headphones, but Pogo doesn't have volume control other than just windows volume control.

Yea I love the mumble server!

However I was one of the ones pushing for it up front, I love the quality and the overlays are amazing for raids and what not.

Any updates on this? Thoughts? Opinions?

I've been using it and like it. I've mainly seen people in the Aion and Minecraft channels. Sometimes a couple are in the CGA General channel. Haven't seen anyone in the Guild Wars channels.

Well my opinion still stands. Without some type of volume control I can't use it. Its just too loud over every other sound on the pc.

I guess I just don't understand why the lack of a volume control is a good thing.

Ooooh, yes that does look promising. I'll talk to Ursen tonight and see if he's available for testing that on mumble tonight. Thanks, Elader!

I didn't know that about Vista - I have that on my machine at the office. Have to check that out.

Back