Say good bye to Skill Trees!

Kahiel

The new discipline system is going to do away with the old Skill Trees.

Today, we bring to you Disciplines, a major overhaul to the class system that will be coming live with Game Update 3.0! At its very core, the Disciplines System replaces the current Skill Tree system while offering a wider array of impactful utility choices to expand their character and the ability for a character’s identity to surface much earlier in the level path. The Disciplines System changes the way we think about and develop the classes themselves, which will translate into a more balanced game and the capacity to expand levels and abilities more often. We’re excited about this system and the possibilities it unlocks for the future.

I am still researching it so the jury is out still.

Read the rest here http://www.swtor.com/blog/developer-update-introduction-disciplines

I can't help but think that once folks figure the set of Disciplines that best suit a particular class, we'll be back to cookie-cutter toons no matter how they change the skill system. I hope this isn't the case this time.

That was my thought too. I think this is part of the greater plan to streamline the skills offered. As it stands now, I have two hot bars full (and many others scattered around on others) with my combat skills. I tried linking them all to hot keys and it was unmanageable for me. They started removing skills last year and from what I could make out of the developer's blog, it sounds like they will be removing some of the lesser used skills while trying to improve the use of central skills for each class (whatever that exactly means). In the end, I suspect we will loose a handful of skills (some of which will be useful like last time) with this "streamlined" path.

One of the things I like about GW2 is that your main skills are limited. I found in SWTOR that I would forget about certain skills because I rarely used them or got them later in the game and wasn't used to using them. Sometimes it was because I never got around to finding space on a skill bar! If "Disciplines" can simply skill usage, that would be a huge improvement!

Back