Satan must be busy

Then please explain who the "god of this age" of 2 Cor 4:4 is.
The devil, Satan.

He is called that and elsewhere in the Bible he is called the "prince of this world" because of the great interest he has in this world, as well as the homage that is paid to him by many people in this world, and the great influence that he exercises in the world, and in the hearts and minds of his subjects, or rather slaves.

Just note "god" -- little g, not the God. :)

Why does everyone blame everything bad on The Devil? Does the Devil have his hand in every bad thing that goes on world wide? Why can't it just be bad things happen because they do? Ultimately, Bad things happen because of Adam and Eve. They are the ones that got thrown out of The Garden of Eden. But the great thing is, by focusing on Jesus we can be reunited with God.

Why can't we say when we get a flat tire, "Stuff happens. Thank you God for making sure I have a car that can get a flat tire".
No...instead too many people say..."That Devil...he's out to get me, He gave me a flat." and they focus on the Devil, not God.
(very easy example, but you get the point...I hope)

Stop blaming the Devil and begin thanking God.

The Devil wants your attention, Positive or Negative, he doesn't care. The more you focus on the Devil, The less you focus on God.

Or, better..

Why can't we say when we get a flat tire..

"Thank you God for the Life of Jesus in me! Who may or may not fix this tire, at your will O God!"

"What will you do with this Jesus?"

God also says.. Psalm 8:5

"What is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man, that you should care for Him..For you make him a little lower than Elohim"

Elohim is God..

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it "prince of this world" or "prince of the power of the air"?

And what, exactly, does THAT mean?

The answer: it is both, one is simply a more descriptive title than the other.

Prince of this world: well what is a prince? A prince is one who has limited power under a king. And since we know that God is the ultimate king (the King of Kings) then we can conclude that God has power over Satan.

Price of the power of the air: is at it simplest form, an archaic term for angels. In this sense, referring to the one-third that Satan took with him when he rebelled against God and fell to the earth.

The answer: it is both, one is simply a more descriptive title than the other.

Prince of this world: well what is a prince? A prince is one who has limited power under a king. And since we know that God is the ultimate king (the King of Kings) then we can conclude that God has power over Satan.

Ewww, sorry, that's not a very good analogy. A prince is not someone who has power under a king because the king granted them power. A prince has power because he is next in the line of succession.

This is more like a king (God) awarding a land grant to a noble or baron (Satan) upon which the peasants or serfs (us) live.

I think the word prince here, "archon" would be better translated as "magistrate". After all, isn't it God who gave Satan his authority?

Price of the power of the air: is at it simplest form, an archaic term for angels. In this sense, referring to the one-third that Satan took with him when he rebelled against God and fell to the earth.

Can you tell me where you are getting this from? Is this a personal opinion or one that has scriptural reference?

And, he (Satan) is the Prince because man gave him his authority when he believed (that devil) and ate of the tree of knowledge (of good and evil)..

Jesus won this authorty back, however..Upon Living up to the Law of God..
Jesus never sinned, and He bought us back with His Blood :D

Ewww, sorry, that's not a very good analogy. A prince is not someone who has power under a king because the king granted them power. A prince has power because he is next in the line of succession.

This is more like a king (God) awarding a land grant to a noble or baron (Satan) upon which the peasants or serfs (us) live.

I think the word prince here, "archon" would be better translated as "magistrate". After all, isn't it God who gave Satan his authority?

Yes, and you need to understand that when the Bible gives Satan titles like that, it is demonstrating not that he has ultimate authority. It is conveying the idea that Satan himself rules over the unbelieving world in a specific way.

The unbeliever follows Satan's agenda. According to 2 Corinthians 4:4, the "god of this world has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ." Satan's agenda includes pushing a false philosophy onto the unbelieving world. A false philosophy that blinds the unbeliever from the truth of the gospel.

Can you tell me where you are getting this from? Is this a personal opinion or one that has scriptural reference?
From reading further down (Ephesians 6:12) and studying the commentary associated with both scriptures (I suggest Matthew Henrys' Complete Commentary if you are into heavy reading) we can fairly easily comclude that "prince of the power of the air" refers to Satans legions of demons.

Historically there is a distinct difference. There is a Prince of Blood, born into the Royal family line of succession. There is a Prince of Principalities, not born into the Royal family line, rather granted authority by the king to be lord or ruler of a principality, often land, city or a seperation of people.

As a side note, while I was looking into current era princes and practices I found it interesting that while Prince Charles was born into princehood, he did not receive authority as heir to the throne until 1958 when he received the title "Prince of Wales." Before then, he was His Royal Highness Prince Charles of Edinburgh. The Edinburgh principality is not in line for the throne, it is the Wales principality that is.

Interesting, even today, Princes of Blood who are expected to take over the throne do not have authority until its granted. So James's analogy, while you don't like it, is pretty much dead on right.

Yes, and you need to understand that when the Bible gives Satan titles like that, it is demonstrating not that he has ultimate authority. It is conveying the idea that Satan himself rules over the unbelieving world in a specific way.

I think it's FAR more important to remember that Satan has power because God allows him to have power.

The unbeliever follows Satan's agenda. According to 2 Corinthians 4:4, the "god of this world has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ." Satan's agenda includes pushing a false philosophy onto the unbelieving world. A false philosophy that blinds the unbeliever from the truth of the gospel.

Sorry, but I can't shake the fact that this is a slap in the face.

Personally, and trust me, there are many more like me than I think you'd care to admit, I do see and understand the gospel of the Bible. I don't follow it because there is nothing that leads me to believe in the existence of God. Does that automatically make me a follower or servant of Satan? I think not. I can lead a just and good life without following your god or any other god.

From reading further down (Ephesians 6:12) and studying the commentary associated with both scriptures (I suggest Matthew Henrys' Complete Commentary if you are into heavy reading) we can fairly easily comclude that "prince of the power of the air" refers to Satans legions of demons.

Can you give us some examples?

Dark Virtue said:
James said:
Sorry, but I can't shake the fact that this is a slap in the face.

Personally, and trust me, there are many more like me than I think you'd care to admit, I do see and understand the gospel of the Bible. I don't follow it because there is nothing that leads me to believe in the existence of God. Does that automatically make me a follower or servant of Satan? I think not. I can lead a just and good life without following your god or any other god.

James wasn't saying that just because you rebuke God that you automatically serve the devil. He was saying you've been blinded by him. You and I can have the same morals without having the same belief in God. We learn our morals through society. Most of our society has it's background in Christian beliefs, and so we (as a whole) tend to line up many of our beliefs of "right and wrong" with the Bible.

However, the Bible that you and I have both read tells us that the only way to the Father is through the Son. Without confessing (and believing) that Jesus is the Son of God, and the Son of Man... that He took your place on the cross for your sins, and then on the third day, rose again... The Bible tell us that all of our actions are for naught - that we cannot earn a spot in Heaven with our good deeds alone.

I understand your position. I was there once. Thomas Jefferson may have been right. And with that, my belief in God is not based on fear that I could go to Hell if I don't believe and I were proven incorrect. It's based on something much deeper. It's based on an experience, something I felt and saw, that I cannot accept as being anything less than a divine presence. Logic or not, my experience has shaped my belief.

Back