Ram question?

Talon

As some of you know i use computers a lot.  I have a laptop for my primary use.  It uses desktop 184 pin DIMMs and deskop CPU, and desktop Hard drive.  I am running 512mb PC2700 333mhz RAM, i dont know the CAS latency.  I just bought a 1gb individual high density PC3200 400mhz with a CAS latency of 3.  I believe my system bus is running 533mhz, i read a rumor that it was only 400mhz.  I already have my ideas, but i want to hear others opinions on this.  Should i use just the 1gb PC3200 or use 1.5gb of the 1gb PC3200 and the 512mb PC2700?     (i know the PC3200 will bump down to PC2700, but as far as dual channel stuff, i dont know about  
rock.gif
 *note-and i'm going to swap out hard drives, the 80gb is going to be replaced with a 160gb at about the same time*

Thanks for the input, Talon

i have 512 of pc 3200 400 mhz (well, 256 at the time, until i get my other stick replaced or get it to work)

lol satjome, yeah having 256 must stink.  I've never had a computer below 512mbs of RAM in the last 3 years.  Right now on my laptop, i am using an average of 60% memory load sitting idle not playing a games with 46 processes running.  My benchmark tests on my RAM are severly depleated due to the high RAM strain. Actually right now before my RAM gets here, i have 4 P4 computers, 2 with 512, 2 with 1gb.

I dont have the ram yet, its being shipped, probably going to be here mid next week. I got the best bang for my buck, ebay. I'm hoping that the new ram will up my graphics performance by at least 20%. My first choice for computer upgrade would have been a CPU but i didnt have $180 for a 2.8ghz w/HT.

I have 255. Nope, not 256.

I used to have 256, then it dropped to 255. What the crap? Can I gain it back?

Yeah. I lost one meg.

That hinders me from playing my favoirte games, too. I think I might upgrade, lol.

wow, really odd. Usually 256 ram modules have 256-262 ram, and u lost some, really weird.

Riverway, in what mannor are you viewing the numbers? If you are seeing control alt delete and the task manager comes up, or if you are using software for benchmark test numbers, or if you are viewing system info numbers. I have looked at mine, all 3 of those and they all say diffrent things. One says 523 ram, another says 510 ram, and another says 515 ram for me. But otherwise, i have no idea if you can get it back, maybe re-seat the ram, but dont do that if it will void a warenty.

ah, i have no clue why it went away or how to get it back software wise. Hardware wise, i personally would re-seat the ram in the DIMM but if that would void a warenty then i wouldnt do it.

i would say so, the 1 year limited warrenty is gone, if you even bought an extended one, its probably gone too. So try to re-seat the DIMM, auto detect will dectect it and hopefully will be the right amount.

Alright. Sweet.

Do you think that's the cause of freeze-ups while I play? Cause I'll be playing, then it'll get real choppy, then it'll freeze.

quite possibly.  The fact that (i'm guessing, but it makes sense) the ram is being detected as something by the computer, then is actually something else, may be conflicting and causing errors in the ram.
rock.gif
Also could be that your virtual memory is too low, but usually xp fixes that automatically.

Back