PSA: How to opt out of class action waiver

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
As many of you may have already noticed, Sony recently updated the PlayStation Network Terms of Service and required users to agree to the ToS to continue using PSN.

One of the updates to the ToS is Sony's attempts to block class action lawsuits.

I don't want this thread to turn into a political discussion on the Supreme Court's decision to allow corporations to block class action lawsuits.

My purpose is to inform you how to opt out of the class action waiver. You decide what to do with the information.

Without further ado:
RIGHT TO OPT OUT OF BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER WITHIN 30 DAYS. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THE BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER IN THIS SECTION 15, YOU MUST NOTIFY SNEI IN WRITING WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE DATE THAT YOU ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT. YOUR WRITTEN NOTIFICATION MUST BE MAILED TO 6080 CENTER DRIVE, 10TH FLOOR, LOS ANGELES, CA 90045, ATTN: LEGAL DEPARTMENT/ARBITRATION AND MUST INCLUDE: (1) YOUR NAME, (2) YOUR ADDRESS, (3) YOUR PSN ACCOUNT NUMBER, IF YOU HAVE ONE, AND (4) A CLEAR STATEMENT THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO RESOLVE DISPUTES WITH ANY SONY ENTITY THROUGH ARBITRATION.
I recommend sending your letter with signature delivery and confirmation.

How many people will actually end up writing in?
At least two: Me and my wife. :)

Here's a link to an opt-out letter template. It should make opting out require less time. (My wife and I already lost enough time getting new debit cards and updating billing information for several monthly expenses.)

/bump

Time's running out.

My wife and I sent our letters in in early October. Did anyone else send in an opt-out letter?

I did not catch this... Lets just hope i never need to file a class action lawsuit against them.

So if someone else installs the update on my system and I don't realize it in enough time, am I bound by the agreement, even if I'm not the one who installed it on my console and didn't agree to it?

I suspect there might be some wiggle room here; even if one does not meet the ridiculous "deadline".

That provision is not worth the cost of the electrons used to display that text on my screen.
I think I'll have my lawyer investigate this one. The day a company can put out a waiver saying that the people can no longer sue them collectively, then in-essensce they can do whatever they want without any consequences... and that just doesn't hold water in my book.

Last edited:
That provision is not worth the cost of the electrons used to display that text on my screen.
I think I'll have my lawyer investigate this one. The day a company can put out a waiver saying that the people can no longer sue them collectively, then in-essensce they can do whatever they want without any consequences... and that just doesn't hold water in my book.
Such is the state of American law. Other companies (including Microsoft) have also updated their ToS to disallow class action lawsuits.

On a related note, this article may be of interest: Sony sued over PSN's anti-class action lawsuit clause.

Back